Android vs symbian vs Maemo vs winpho 7 vs iOS. Let's fight

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
felt that the notification system of Maemo is much better than that of Android. And true multitasking FTW :)
Ah.. Have got to try out Maemo :)

BTW, where is GX, the Symbian warrior?

Haha.. I just noticed.. No one even mentioned Blackberry :p

Last edited:
OP
desiibond

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
meh. dude. not interesting to refute. Since I've been using the device, multitasking isn't something I've missed, simple reason, Pandora isn't out yet. Other than that, move out and start a app works like a charm.

Copy/paste they've said it's coming in the next software update and their jumpers implementation works fine till then. It's not like iOS v1.

that is because you haven't used proper multitasking YET. Look at the multitasking on Maemo. Do hold on to something. YOu might even faint after seeing how good it is. Even Symbian's got very good multitasking. and please don't go to next s/w updates. The next thing to Maemo is Meego and you really should see a demo of this stunning OS. Even for Android, 2.3 though is minor release, 3.0 is going to be major, really major and whatever gap winpho7 closes will be reopened by Android 3.0.

In short, it is just like iOS v1.0 but with a better home screen. Of i would say, it's like 'old buttermilk in new packet'.

Ah.. Have got to try out Maemo :)

BTW, where is GX, the Symbian warrior?

Haha.. I just noticed.. No one even mentioned Blackberry :p

no. I only eat blueberry. never heard of Blackberry.

oh wait, is it the OS that those clueless guys wearing suites use?

Last edited:

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Oh! its good to be back.

War continues, just that the battlefield has changed :)

Please write your replies in the context of Indian market only, as we are using the device in India after all.

Let me start. I literally want to hold Ballmer's throat for giving such a clumsy featureset with a moder OS. In gsmarena's words:

No system-wide file manager
No videocalling
Limited third-party apps availability
No Bluetooth file transfers
No USB mass storage mode
No multitasking
No copy/paste
Too dependent on Zune software for computer file management and syncing
No music player equalisers
No Flash or Silverlight support in the web browser
No sign of free Bing maps Navigation so far
No DivX/XviD video support
No internet tethering support
New ringtones available only through the Marketplace
Swapping memory card requires hard reset; cards not readable by computer

I agree with you on this. However, iPhone also had & has the same restriction & after 4 years of launch it is a very successful platform today due to apps. This proves that users in USA market do not care about all these features if they have a good eco-system of services.

Users in India are different though. We want to use our phone the way we like, without career or OEM restriction.

Multitasking is a gimmik on mobile phone OS. We have been doing multitasking on a phone in the same way we do on a computer but we forget that a phone is not a computer. Phone doesn't have a big screen, or a keyboard or a mouse. Instead of running multiple apps side by side, we need a way to aggregate the data at once place. In my opinion, only the approach taken by WinMo 7 is the best here. Symbian, Android, iPhone all fail in this respect of showing my content all at once to me at my fingertip instead of opening & looking at multiple apps.

Copy & Paste is coming to WinMo 7 soon by Feb 2011.

Dependancy on Zune software is a good as well as a bad thing. It is a central hub for everything, though I myself would prefer to use device stage in Win7 then zune. For example, Zune isn't made for managing contacts, but Windows' own Contacts or Windows Live Mail 2011 are made so why not use that instead.

Windows Phone 7 FTW! Android can be at the mercy of the OEMs and the carriers, Nokia can keep fondling and flirting with crappier implementations. Oh and bada or ba "daa" as they pronounce it is a waste of bandwidth.

Android is getting fragmented cos they are going the same way as WinMo 6.5 went at the mercy of updates from OEM for the OS. They would rather you buy a new phone then upgrade your phone's OS.

iOS' approach is best here. Updates straight from Apple, though it is a restricted platform but there update method is something I like.

Nokia wasn't paying attention to software & hardware but now they are. The very fact that the hardware platform used in N8 is also the same in C6-01, C7 & E7 means that now they want unification.

Nothing is wrong with Symbian OS except for there UI which they have improved a lot with Symbian^3. Now when they have merged Symbian^4 with Symbian^3 & all the UI & app changes are coming to S^3 also, the shelf life of current s^3 phones has increased a lot. Qt FTW.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
While we're at the topic of finding out shortcomings, lets see... the biggest online gaming platform in your hands with games that can be played across screens. Yeah, Xbox LIVE.

Oh and Zune Pass, you know the music service, the only one that competes with iTunes and yes, in the US people actually use it because of what it offers (anytime streaming and 10 songs/month download). Infact, an Apple store employee told me that he finds Zune to be better!

So while you focus on the shortcomings that can be fixed in subsequent updates, look at the core. From what I'm being told, this is a very stable kernel.

Zune, file management are utterly lame arguments.

And why so, sir? Why should one have to completely rely on a piece of software to do even the pettiest of things? That is something I really hate about the iOS too. Both Apple and Microsoft made great mobile operating systems, I have to give it to them but they restrict the users to unacceptable extents. Windows Phone 7 is even more restricted than the iOS. That thought alone gives me creeps.

yea the good thing in Andorid, animated wallpapers! OMG THEY ARE SO AWESOME! I LOUV ANIMATED WALLPAPERS!

True multitasking, video calling, Bluetooth file transfer, tethering, completely free of crapware (I'm talking about iTunes and Zune) and the most kick-ass feature, 'The Android Notification System'. Some of those are a real kick in the throat for Windows Phone 7.

oh now they are bringing in the numbers. Now, to quote all the freetards from the Lin vs Win discussions -- sales numbers mean nothing. more sales doesn't mean it is bette That's what you guys used to say!

Why shouldn't they? Microsoft have always bragged about the Windows market share in the operating systems market. Bringing Windows Phone 7 numbers into discussions wouldn't be unfair.

Ok, let me list a very nice feature of Android which is missing in all other (?) OSs.. The notification system!

The best notification system on any mobile operating system. 'Nuff said.

meh. dude. not interesting to refute. Since I've been using the device, multitasking isn't something I've missed, simple reason, Pandora isn't out yet. Other than that, move out and start a app works like a charm.

Copy/paste they've said it's coming in the next software update and their jumpers implementation works fine till then. It's not like iOS v1.

What about games, IM applications and all? How do they work without multitasking, eh?

vamsi_krishna

Human Spambot
Maemo is not directly existing now, and is not in many devices as it's other competitors. i still don't know why it is in the fight.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
Games work, IM is a use case I agree. Should be taken care of. Don't know what Notifications are, will look into it but if they are what the name suggests, then tiles can show an update that requires user attention. No big deal.

Android is growing at a rapid speed, good for them, yes, the desktop linux never got anywhere despite every year since linux tarvolds was born being the year of the linux hopefully Google's proprietary Android goes somewhere. tbh Apple considers it to be a threat so it has merit.

ANd all those points you guys keep bringing up about lacking features, WinMo had them and we know what happened.

Tethering is supported by WP7, get this is in brains, another guy bringing this up will hereby be declared my b*tch.

Well you see, I'm not really a big fan of Android, so if you have any misconceptions about me being of those 'Oh my precious droid' guys, it's about time you cleared up your mind.
Here, I have posted how Android could really perish if Google doesn't get a hold of the manufacturers.

OP
desiibond

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
Oh! its good to be back.

War continues, just that the battlefield has changed :)

Please write your replies in the context of Indian market only, as we are using the device in India after all.

welcome :)

I agree with you on this. However, iPhone also had & has the same restriction & after 4 years of launch it is a very successful platform today due to apps. This proves that users in USA market do not care about all these features if they have a good eco-system of services.

The reason for iOS devices is the cult following that Apple has. And not to forget that it was awesome experience initially and thre was no Android. Look at the picture now. iOS is losing out to Android on market share, ad revenues etc.

Users in India are different though. We want to use our phone the way we like, without career or OEM restriction.

Users in India are not much different. While those in USA are after things that glitter, users here are after things that has tagline "designed in finland". Even if young users want to move to other platforms, they are made to stick to Nokia by the 'margo generation'.

Multitasking is a gimmik on mobile phone OS. We have been doing multitasking on a phone in the same way we do on a computer but we forget that a phone is not a computer. Phone doesn't have a big screen, or a keyboard or a mouse. Instead of running multiple apps side by side, we need a way to aggregate the data at once place. In my opinion, only the approach taken by WinMo 7 is the best here. Symbian, Android, iPhone all fail in this respect of showing my content all at once to me at my fingertip instead of opening & looking at multiple apps.

It might be a gimmick. But it has been extremely helpful for me on Maemo. Multitasking coupled with powerful hardware and awesome web browser is ........

Copy & Paste is coming to WinMo 7 soon by Feb 2011.
We will talk about it in Feb 2011. Right now, its not there and anyway, am not much bothered about this particular feature.

Dependancy on Zune software is a good as well as a bad thing. It is a central hub for everything, though I myself would prefer to use device stage in Win7 then zune. For example, Zune isn't made for managing contacts, but Windows' own Contacts or Windows Live Mail 2011 are made so why not use that instead.

This was made to make th UI uniform across the OS. But it won't work with long lists like application menu. Some simple tweaks should do.

Android is getting fragmented cos they are going the same way as WinMo 6.5 went at the mercy of updates from OEM for the OS. They would rather you buy a new phone then upgrade your phone's OS.

iOS' approach is best here. Updates straight from Apple, though it is a restricted platform but there update method is something I like.

I am not too much worried about fragmentation here. People are acutally picking HTC's android phones due to the Sense UI even though they know that the updates will be slow. Moreover, fragmentation is not as bad as it was earlier. The main worry for me is appstore fragmentation. companies lke Verizon, Google are opening their own appstores, which sucks.

Nokia wasn't paying attention to software & hardware but now they are. The very fact that the hardware platform used in N8 is also the same in C6-01, C7 & E7 means that now they want unification.

Nothing is wrong with Symbian OS except for there UI which they have improved a lot with Symbian^3. Now when they have merged Symbian^4 with Symbian^3 & all the UI & app changes are coming to S^3 also, the shelf life of current s^3 phones has increased a lot. Qt FTW.

The only reason why S^3 is alive right now is more due to the h/w of N8 than anything else. Had Nokia put it on mid-range device first, it would've bombed real bad. There is still lot more to do for Nokia on Symbian side. But hey, MeeGo is looks damn good and that's where the future is for Nokia.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
Please tell me which phone has the largest online gaming network? Oh and which phne has the amazing Office suite support? Hint, it's not Android.

ANd all those points you guys keep bringing up about lacking features, WinMo had them and we know what happened.

So, now you're telling me that an OS fails if it has too many features? :|

Tethering is supported by WP7, get this is in brains, another guy bringing this up will hereby be declared my b*tch.

I know it does but there's a catch to that right? What's that little thing that comes with your phone and becomes a giant pain in the ass? Oh yeah! The carrier!

OP
desiibond

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
While we're at the topic of finding out shortcomings, lets see... the biggest online gaming platform in your hands with games that can be played across screens. Yeah, Xbox LIVE.

Oh and Zune Pass, you know the music service, the only one that competes with iTunes and yes, in the US people actually use it because of what it offers (anytime streaming and 10 songs/month download). Infact, an Apple store employee told me that he finds Zune to be better!

So while you focus on the shortcomings that can be fixed in subsequent updates, look at the core. From what I'm being told, this is a very stable kernel.

Zune pass. hmm. Guess what. we people in India have something better.

Google Music
Nokia Ovi Music.

And they offer lot more than 10 songs per month.

Oh, you may not be able to access Google Music from WinPho7 :)

And please oh please, start gaming when you are on the run. The battery bombs in an hour or two at the max.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
@Sunnychahal, after using your iPhone 4 & reading about application freeze it does in the background, I like the approach.

An application is made of 2 parts. First is the core & second is the frontend. When an application is in the background so we don't need the frontend UI part which saves battery. The approach of running apps in background in iOS & WinMo 7 is better then Android or Symbian in my opinion.

You can read about why I find symbian better then other platform for my needs & in the indian market on my blogpost

OP
desiibond

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
So, now you're telling me that an OS fails if it has too many features? :|

I know it does but there's a catch to that right? What's that little thing that comes with your phone and becomes a giant pain in the ass? Oh yeah! The carrier!

LOL. he still is not aware of the awesomeness called DLNA :)

Oh please tell me which phone can't make video calls in 2010, can't run two apps simultaneously, restricts user as if he was a toddler? Hint: Windows Phone 7!

Top Bottom