Android vs symbian vs Maemo vs winpho 7 vs iOS. Let's fight

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
We TDF folks started a new fight on twitter. Let's continue here. :)

Note: Please please please. no personal attacks and don't make the mods lock the thread.

Last edited:
OP
desiibond

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
Let me start. I literally want to hold Ballmer's throat for giving such a clumsy featureset with a moder OS. In gsmarena's words:

No system-wide file manager
No videocalling
Limited third-party apps availability
No Bluetooth file transfers
No USB mass storage mode
No multitasking
No copy/paste
Too dependent on Zune software for computer file management and syncing
No music player equalisers
No Flash or Silverlight support in the web browser
No sign of free Bing maps Navigation so far
No DivX/XviD video support
No internet tethering support
New ringtones available only through the Marketplace
Swapping memory card requires hard reset; cards not readable by computer

source: Windows Phone 7 OS review: From scratch - GSMArena.com

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
Windows Phone 7 FTW! Android can be at the mercy of the OEMs and the carriers, Nokia can keep fondling and flirting with crappier implementations. Oh and bada or ba "daa" as they pronounce it is a waste of bandwidth.

OP
desiibond

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
Those who are blaming SGS's battery life, the new firmware of SGS does improve battery life a lot. My friend confirmed the same for me. His SGS is giving much better battery life

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
Windows Phone 7 FTW! Android can be at the mercy of the OEMs and the carriers, Nokia can keep fondling and flirting with crappier implementations. Oh and bada or ba "daa" as they pronounce it is a waste of bandwidth.
I for one will only comment on WinPhone7 once its really out.. But I still maintain.. I think Symbian (for datedness) and iOS (for restrictiveness) are the worst in this list..

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
Yea, you know all of that was there in WinMo and lemme see, everyone made fun of it.

Zune, file management are utterly lame arguments. Bing maps navigation... I don't know why they've left that for the carreirs. In Gruber's words, the memory card implementation is smart. Music equalizers, wait a minute, HAHAHHHAHHAHAHAHHA! On chindi phone speakers what orchestra do you plan to play? Tethering support is there, enabling it violates carrier ToS for now. Blutooth transfer -- sucks, I agree.

I for one will only comment on WinPhone7 once its really out.. But I still maintain.. I think Symbian (for datedness) and iOS (for restrictiveness) are the worst in this list..

it's really out, I bought the phone. Has it's shortcomings, I shall write about them when this shitt American education system gives me time but it's amazing nonetheless.

Last edited:
OP
desiibond

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!

Actually, it's winpho7 that is at the mercy of MS. It's like 'kneel before Ballmer'. Except for the the tiles, there is not hing good in this OS. No multitasking on the OS that is allowed only to run on uber high end hardware is 'biggest joke of the century'.

Those who knelt before Google are getting much better business now. Look at how Samsung and HTC are growing in mobile phone business.

WHich other OS has gained 690% growth YoY

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
yea the good thing in Andorid, animated wallpapers! OMG THEY ARE SO AWESOME! I LOUV ANIMATED WALLPAPERS!

Kneel before Ballmer, that's the best you could come up with? Really? <-- see what I did there?

Last edited:
OP
desiibond

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!

correction here.

I think Symbian (for datedness) and iOS (for datedness and restrictiveness and featurelessness and staleness) are the worst in this list

OP
desiibond

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
yea the good thing in Andorid, animated wallpapers! OMG THEY ARE SO AWESOME! I LOUV ANIMATED WALLPAPERS!

Kneel before Ballmer, that's the best you could come up with? Really? <-- see what I did there?

yeah. someone need to remind MS that they have to use 2010 and 2011 calendars and not 2007. coz, iOS has got few more features after that and they are trying to fight first generation of iOS

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
oh now they are bringing in the numbers. Now, to quote all the freetards from the Lin vs Win discussions -- sales numbers mean nothing. more sales doesn't mean it is bette That's what you guys used to say!

kalpik

Ok, let me list a very nice feature of Android which is missing in all other (?) OSs.. The notification system!

OP
desiibond

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
oh now they are bringing in the numbers. Now, to quote all the freetards from the Lin vs Win discussions -- sales numbers mean nothing. more sales doesn't mean it is bette That's what you guys used to say!

hmm. in that case, Maemo is the greatest OS. less sales, but one heck of an OS it is. And coming back to winpho 7, it has got neither sales nor great features set. Where should I put it ?

kalpik

Hmm.. Numbers is not the same thing as growth ;)

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
yeah. someone need to remind MS that they have to use 2010 and 2011 calendars and not 2007. coz, iOS has got few more features after that and they are trying to fight first generation of iOS

meh. dude. not interesting to refute. Since I've been using the device, multitasking isn't something I've missed, simple reason, Pandora isn't out yet. Other than that, move out and start a app works like a charm.

Copy/paste they've said it's coming in the next software update and their jumpers implementation works fine till then. It's not like iOS v1.

OP
desiibond

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
Ok, let me list a very nice feature of Android which is missing in all other (?) OSs.. The notification system!

felt that the notification system of Maemo is much better than that of Android. And true multitasking FTW :)

Top Bottom