Android VP Barra leaves Google for Xiaomi’s shores

theserpent

Firecracker to the moon
Looks like there’s another little shake-up in Android’s top management in Google as VP of Android product development Hugo Barra has announced he will be leaving the company and joining Chinese up-and-comer Xiaomi.

Barra, popular among Google followers, introduced the new Nexus 7 earlier this year as well as the Google Play Edition of the Galaxy S4 on stage at Google I/O, will be joining Chinese company as Vice President – Xiaomi Global. Having worked for three years on the mobile OS team, Barra will bring ton of experience to Xiaomi and his job title suggests the company might be moving for a play beyond China and Asia to Europe and possibly the US.
Hugo Barra is heading to China (Image credit: Hugo Barra / Google+)
Hugo Barra is heading to China (Image credit: Hugo Barra / Google+)

Xiaomi’s phones generate great hype in their homeland with the company often being called China’s Apple. Recently, the company launched Red Rice, a low-cost, well-designed and decently-specced smartphone. Barra’s departure comes after Andy Rubin, Android’s co-founder quit the project and headed to Google X in March.

“It has been an amazing ride and true honor to be part of the Android team at Google, and I especially want to thank +Andy Rubin , +Hiroshi Lockheimer , +Sundar Pichai and +Vic Gundotra for their phenomenal support and mentorship over the years. +Android team, I will truly miss you all!” Barra said in a Google+ post a few hours ago.

There’s a feeling that Barra leaving leaves a gaping void in the upper level management of Android. The mobile OS project is helmed by Pichai, who also heads the Chrome and Apps division of Google. In response to Barra’s post, the Android boss said, “Congratulations to Hugo on his exciting new adventure. We'll miss him at Google but we're thrilled that he's sticking with Android.”

Android VP Barra leaves Google for Xiaomi

He was one of my most favorite person in Google

Top Bottom