ANDROID KILLING Console/PC

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Playing Asphalt 8 with touch screen's swype based gestures on my N7 feels great. A totally different experience playing with an XBox controller on PC.
So I do think mobile gaming is a whole different medium of playing games. Can't kill Consoles though.

Both can co-exist peacefully.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
yep tactile feedback is good, and something touchscreens don't offer
but some games don't need tactile feedback
all games are not good on touchscreens, but some are best on touchscreens
eg: world of goo, tiny tower, plague inc, fruit ninja, some board games... these titles won't be improved with tactile feedback
something like Red Steel II, is only good with a motion controller and nothing else. Each input type has titles best for it.

a_k_s_h_a_y

Dreaming
needs better Title skills...
mobile gaming is a new highly growing market with vaster reach and audience. can't kill pc/console market.
may trump pc/console in number game.. but can't kill it.

PC business will always evolve and 1 up mobiles in performance, unless quantum unicorn computing.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
To be honest.

Mobile gamers are mostly casual gamers there are none, if not a few hardcore mobile gamers because controls on a mobile device are still quirky at best.

However, consoles and PCs are the domain of hardcore/enthusiast gamers and as long as such gamers exist, PCs/Consoles would never phase out.

gameranand

Living to Play
To be honest.

Mobile gamers are mostly casual gamers there are none, if not a few hardcore mobile gamers because controls on a mobile device are still quirky at best.

However, consoles and PCs are the domain of hardcore/enthusiast gamers and as long as such gamers exist, PCs/Consoles would never phase out.

This. :)

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
it's not that these titles don't exist
Galaxy On Fire 2
Anomaly Warzone Earth
Sword and Sworcery EP

these are some titles best on touchscreens, even though they are available on other platforms, and they cannot be improved by tactile feedback (ok maybe they can, but that would involve custom buttons for each game popping out of the touchscreen based on context)

The amount of effort, the art, the story, and the over all experience is as much fun and engrossing as PC and console titles. some titles have been poached from pc and console mid development, and many good gaming studios are making mobile games (Square Enix, Ubisoft, EA, 2K to name a few). Some titles have amazing production values, Broken Age has a hollywood voice acting cast, Star Legend's concept art was made by the same guy who made concept art for Tron. Just because mobile games are accessible to a wider range of the population, and all of them do not identify themselves as gamers, does not make the games themselves any less hardcore

PS have to agree, some titles are rip-offs, Injustice on console is far superior to Injustice on a touchscreen, no energy mechanic, wider range of animations, although the touchscreen version looks better (maybe because you are so close to the action?)
Some other titles that originated on touchscreens are too complicated and unplayable on touchscreens eg: that Deus Ex : The Fall

but there are awesome titles too

ankush28

Bazinga
OP is the same guy who started this - *www.digit.in/forum/gamerz/184110-d-o-n-t-make-gta-v-pc-port-petition.html

Android too have hell lot of piracy. STOP making games for Android...! Lets start petition:punch:

No offence bro...

$hadow

Geek in making
OP is the same guy who started this - *www.digit.in/forum/gamerz/184110-d-o-n-t-make-gta-v-pc-port-petition.html

Android too have hell lot of piracy. STOP making games for Android...! Lets start petition:punch:

No offence bro...
And then let us all shift towards Ios :-D

beingGamer

In the zone
I feel weird playing games on mobiles which have joystick on its interface. your fingers cover the screen and no feeling of the controls at all.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
BTW, Nvidia is releasing its Shield console, which is basically an Android based set top box for your TV. They also claim to have ported many games like Crysis 3, Borderlands, etc to Android. So, I think android could come to the living room after all.

More info:

NVIDIA SHIELD Android TV | This Is How You Play TV

The Nvidia Shield 4K Android TV set-top/console is now available | TechRadar

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
It's amazing how mobile gaming has evolved over the years. But by no farthest stretches of imagination can you even compare mobile and console/PC gaming let alone stating your hypothesis that mobile games are killing consoles. I can still understand a comparison between PC and Console but what you say my friend is highly unimaginative. PC/Console games these days provide FHD to UHD graphics while most mobile games are stuck on HD or SD graphics. Besides, given the compactness of the space in a mobile phone and lack of memory, I don't think we will have multpile GBs of game in the near future. while an average PC/console game takes up 15-20 GB of space on Hard disk, the average maximum phone memory of a mobile phone is between 16-24 GB. (That does not mean all phones lie in this range, there are a few with upto 128 GB memory too !!) Secondly, heavy mobile games are in the range of a few GBs, probably 2-3 GB max and playing these games still heats up the phone like a toaster. I can go on and on about the Console-Mobile gaming comparison but I suppose I have made my point.
Will, OP mentioned Android, not mobile gaming. Android is just an OS and is not limited to mobiles. Android runs on smart TVs and game consoles too these days.

$hadow

Geek in making
To be frank I started playing dear trigger 2 on my N7 with game pad and all I can say that this is best of both worlds.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
platform and specifications don't matter so much any more
games from all times and platforms are finding a new home in mobile/desktop digital delivery platforms. See a lot of the same games share shelf space on mobile and desktop.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
hmm
for example, galaxy on fire II, VVVVVV, super hexagon, plague inc, anomaly warzone earth, limbo...
even jetpack joyride, samurai vs zombies defense, radiant defense or Tiny Death Star
so much fun on all platforms

Top Bottom