Status
Not open for further replies.

usmayur

Broken In
AMD is better

I have used following two processors
AMD 64 3000+
Intel P4 2.8 GHz
AMD was less expensive and gave me better performance.
The rest of the components of the 2 PCs were more or less similar. ie 512 MB DDR 400 RAM and onboard graphics.
So my vote definitely goes to AMD.

Kniwor

Learner
ak24 said:
Please read this document first.

*www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20050714/

This actually suggests nothing, real life performance is much different from those in which hyperthreading is extensively used, Hyperthreading is overhyped.

supersaiyan

In the zone
i personally go for amd right now. but if it was 1999 then i would go for intel. the thing is that the krypton series from amd which was an equivalent to a pentium 3 had heating problems and therefore intel made quite some profit then. now the tables are turned. now intel proccys have heating problems whereas amd does not. although amd architecture is two years old now still intel is getting their butt kicked.
so my vote is for amd.

Kniwor

Learner
supersaiyan said:
i personally go for amd right now. but if it was 1999 then i would go for intel. the thing is that the krypton series from amd which was an equivalent to a pentium 3 had heating problems and therefore intel made quite some profit then. now the tables are turned. now intel proccys have heating problems whereas amd does not. although amd architecture is two years old now still intel is getting their butt kicked.
so my vote is for amd.

you are right on this one, these days intel processors are more power consuming, so more heat, there were days when u can reinstall an intel processor without a thermal paste, (ofcourse now u cant do that with any processor).

OP
A

ak24

Broken In
Does anyone of u guys know any authorized AMD dealer in mumbai. Secondly what will AMD 64 4000+ cost and which Motherboard is compatible but with integrated video. Also how much ram can i allocate to the video as in the case of intel 865gbf i can give a max of 96mb.

abhijit_reddevil

Manchester United
ak24 said:
Does anyone of u guys know any authorized AMD dealer in mumbai. Secondly what will AMD 64 4000+ cost and which Motherboard is compatible but with integrated video. Also how much ram can i allocate to the video as in the case of intel 865gbf i can give a max of 96mb.

With integrated video look no further than the MSI RS480M2-IL. For information on what CPU it supports look at this list. 4000+ is also compatible.

*www.msi.com.tw/program/products/mainboard/mbd/pro_mbd_cpu_support_detail.php?UID=639&kind=1

kumarmohit

Technomancer
Oh no the eternal debate again..

Kniwor said:
ak24 said:
Please read this document first.

*www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20050714/

This actually suggests nothing, real life performance is much different from those in which hyperthreading is extensively used, Hyperthreading is overhyped.

dude Hyperthreading is not overhyped its just hyped among the wrong category of userbase Actually u need special HT enabled sw (multithreaded sw) to take its entire advantage HT first of all Works only on Win XP pro not even on Home ed leave alone the ancient Win98(infact it makes PC unstable) to which most of the Home users are still stuck ( I am not really sure abt the variants of Win2000 and Win server system2003) or on specially customised Linux distros.
secondly HT is good for uses where heavy usage of processor runtime is needed like Audio encoding Video editing and rendering 3D animation and high end photo editing Where as most of the sw used for this like Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Audition, Adobe premiere Pro , maya , 3ds max etc are HT enbled common games MS Office most AV softwares in a nutshell most SW used in homes commonly are just not HT aware which means HT or no HT its the same for them no performance improvement but if u want high end multimedia prdn HT is extremly helpful.

So for Multimedia content creation Intel is still clinging to its lead where as in all other fields AMD is way ahead of intel and now that its stared to support SSE3 the video encoding skills of an AMD proccy shud also become equal to Intel s HT

Kniwor

Learner
Basically, hyperthreading is a latency hiding technique. While you may have a bunch of different programs open at once, the processor executes them one at a time. The scheduling is done very rapidly and the processor switches from task to task very quickly, so it looks like all of those programs are running at once when the processor is actually working on only one at a time. Hyperthreading allows the processor to work on two at a time, by allowing portions of the processor that would otherwise be idle to work on the second thread. That sounds good in theory, but for a number of reasons(contention caused by shared resources, and lack of software support mostly), it hasn't really worked out in practice.The only places where it really shines is in the case of a branch misprediction because the processor can continue to execute other threads while the needed data is retrieved from the system RAM.

And also, i dont see too may multi threaded applications right now that would increase the performance, you can definitely create an environment where u will see a lot of difference, but in practice......

supersaiyan

In the zone
i think ppl working with graphics designing should go for intel as the ht technology helps. whereas for gaming ppl should go for amd

Kniwor

Learner
supersaiyan said:
i think ppl working with graphics designing should go for intel as the ht technology helps. whereas for gaming ppl should go for amd

with SSE3 in the venice core, i dont think AMD is lagging behind even in graphic designing or anything.

azhararmar

Broken In
Kniwor said:
supersaiyan said:

with SSE3 in the venice core, i dont think AMD is lagging behind even in graphic designing or anything.

Dude My Question to you is Have you Used any AMD PC Before if yes then what Configuration Do you Use if No then Dont Say anything rash. Firstly i Myself Was the Biggest fan of Intel i.e Before 2 Years and when of My friend Reccomended AMD to me. And Now I can Proudly Say AMD is the best. Intel is Nothing Compared to Amd.

Kniwor

Learner
azhararmar said:
Kniwor said:
supersaiyan said:

Dude My Question to you is Have you Used any AMD PC Before if yes then what Configuration Do you Use if No then Dont Say anything rash. Firstly i Myself Was the Biggest fan of Intel i.e Before 2 Years and when of My friend Reccomended AMD to me. And Now I can Proudly Say AMD is the best. Intel is Nothing Compared to Amd.

Here's My list of machines i have...

System 1: Primary Sytem:

AMD Athlon 64 3000+ s939 Venice
MSI RS480M2-IL
1Gb DDR 400 (2x512 Mb) Hynix
250 Gb Seagate Barracuda
(Other things dont matter)

System2:

AMD 64 2800+ s754
ASUS K8N s754
512Mb DDR 400
160 Gb Seagate Barracuda

System 3:
AMD Athlon XP 2600+
MSI KM400A
512 Mb DDR 333 Hynix
160Gb Seagate Barracuda

Any my old intel mobo died just last week, it was kep in a box anyhow, because i had sold other parts of that old computer, i dont even care to see what intel sells these days. So how about ur comment......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom