AMD Vs INTEL

AMD Vs INTEL

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ak24

Broken In
I want to purchase a new motherboard currently i am using intel 865gbf with intel 2.4 processor. I had a real bad experience with the motherboard. Has any one used AMD? is it better than intel ?? I use the pc mostly to play high end games. The AMD Athlon 64 3200+ bit processor may only be rated at 1.6 GHz. While intel has processors more than 3.0 Ghz. Secondly what motherboards are compatible with AMD???? Please help me out...

nishantv2003

We Both Have a Mouse!!!
just tipe amd vs intel in Search and u will get ur answer.
and i will suggest for
Amd 3000 or 3200+ 939 pins on Winfast NF4K8MC nforce4 chipset(mobo) and 1gb of corsair ram.
hope this helps:)

hcp006sl

Journeyman
Processor's internal clock speed is not everything regarding performance. High speed can only generate more heat that can make a system unable to run for a long time in Indian environment. So, opt for AMD cool & quite technology. AMD64 3000+ (socket 939) with Dual DDR and SATA-II HDD is much faster than a Pentium-IV based system with that configuration. I think you should choose a nForce 4 ultra chipset mainboard for increased performance.
Performance of AMD regarding game and multimedia is really noticeable.

akshayt

Wise Old Owl
xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu

look at Amd 90nm 3000,3200,3500 and other articles which also deal with itnel lga 775

then get back here

but
mostly or for most apps:
Gaming - Amd
Many other things - Intel
speacially today for Amd 64bit (non X2) and Intel

sidewinder

Ambassador of Buzz
QwertyManiac said:
Intels the best in processor features and high end calculation...
Actually he meants to say is ..... Intel processors are for the rich nd need a high end calculator... _Coz they r so costly that u need a calc to mesure the burnt hole in ur pocket.. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

hummer

Journeyman
Even then the intel ll heat up calculatin its size. that is even if the hole is small. LONG LIVE AMD

Ablenwill

Broken In
Hi All please go through following chart and say me how AMD is cheap and if really it is then let me know the price of the mentioned models.

Intel D915GAV 915G,V,S,16xPCX 4550
P4-LGA 2.66 GHz 800MHz, 1MB, Non-HT 4800

Intel D915GAV 915G,V,S,16xPCX 4550
Intel - HT P4-LGA 3.0 GHz 800MHz, 2MB,LGA-HT 8450

MSI RS-480 ATi,V,S,L,16xPCX,8Ch 5050 939 pin
AMD AMD 64 - 3000+   7275

ASUS K8N nForce3, noV,S,L,8xAGP 4600 754 pin
AMD AMD 64 - 2800+   5050

randomly board and cpu are selected so pls dont mind if your fav is not mentioned here.

indro

In the zone
Intel p4 at this point in the low end market has some good offerings like 2.6 ghz 800 mhz fsb LGA 775 and 64 bit enabled @ 6k.But the problems you will get is the non availablility of good motherboard for this one ,specially here in kolkata.Comparing this with the AMD 64's there are very nice motherboards out there.

Being an AMD fan for the last 4 yrs, still i belive its quite ironic to keep the price of a S939 1.8 ghz 3000+ @ 6800k .I can get a P4 3.0 ghz LGA 775 for 200 more with 64 bit.PCMARK and encoding benchies with take lead big time on this comparison.

One more funny thing ,
You all know that AMD FX 57 is about 1066$ right ?
Well the opteron 254 processor @ 2.8 GHZ stock speed costs 826$ , does that make sense ? it does not to me !!
If its in the 1xx series too , so someone might skip the idea of getting a fx 55 which is nearly the same price and go for a opteron and tyan or asus combo.

All i am saying is , i am a bit dis satisfied for the current pricing AMD has which is not at all compettive.It definitely has the performance advantage.
What do you think ?

abhijit_reddevil

Manchester United
Yes, Indro, it would be nice if AMD would bring the prices of it's processors a little bit. I am an AMD fan myself. 3000+ S939 priced at 6.8k and 3200+ for around 9.6k is somewhat not competitive. It would be nice if the price of the former is reduced to less than 6k and less than 8k for the latter...Although I have no regrets. Mine will be an AMD platform S939, someday I might even have an FX-57!!! Haha, there is no harm in dreaming...

By the way is it true that all AMD 64 bit processors (S939) have 2000Mhz FSB?

indro

In the zone
You cant actually call it FSB , its a Hypertransport link from the Processor to the MoBo's I/O devices ,which is @ 1000 mhz full duplex ,which means 1000 *2 = 2000 mhz. Its very high.Thats probably the reason why AMD has the advantage of all the memory benchies even with DDR 400.

I personally feel that AMD needs some re thinking of their own architecture , reason being intel has a lot of upcoming stuff in Jan, AMD needs to add more links of Hypertransport , clock speed ,compettive pricing ,the upcoming models will be based on P-M from centrino's with VT enabled.AMD's design is already more than 2 yrs old.They only added some enhancements ,but the actual design remained the same.

Ablenwill

Broken In
Thanks Resident techie and Indro for good feedback my self being no one fan belive that Amd is going Intel way now when they are sure that they are getting more market share they are not doing competativ pricing. And you r right amd should come with some new design to keep the heat on and also keeping price perfect. But regarding 2.66 you can get an intel original or asus 915 chipset mobo easily that should not be problem.

Ablenwill

Broken In
Thanks Resident techie and Indro for good feedback my self being no one fan belive that Amd is going Intel way now when they are sure that they are getting more market share they are not doing competativ pricing. And you r right amd should come with some new design to keep the heat on and also keeping price perfect. But regarding 2.66 you can get an intel original or asus 915 chipset mobo easily that should not be problem.

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
sidewinder said:
QwertyManiac said:
Intels the best in processor features and high end calculation...
Actually he meants to say is ..... Intel processors are for the rich nd need a high end calculator... _Coz they r so costly that u need a calc to mesure the burnt hole in ur pocket.. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

:lol:

Good, but i like Intel more than AMD (I have an old one), the prescott heats a lot lesser than the AMD sempron wich i have...

and about new intel proccys, yep they do burn a hole.... :lol:

Not necessarily Intel is for rich, but its good and worthy of its price (clock speeds) , many people still prefer it (Esp, Older Guys (not all) ).

I need more clockspeed so i need Intel, else AMD is fine too...

AMD must kinda market better for its sucess ...

indro

In the zone
QwertyManiac : intel themselves does not mark processors based on clock speeds anymore,they have 7 different versions of the 3.0 GHZ and 2.8 ghz processors,what explainations can you give in that QwertyManiac ?
Intel's highest clock speed is 3.8ghz , but their EE edition runs at 3.43,3.78 and the highest @ 3.2 ghz, So , those are supposed to be slower than the 3.8 P4 right ?

hcp006sl

Journeyman
QwertyManiac said:
I need more clockspeed so i need Intel, else AMD is fine too...

But remember Clockspeed is not always an accurate mesaurement. This is what Apple call the MegaHertz Myth. The pentium 4 has 20 cycles and the G5 has only 7, making the G5 lightening fast compared to a pentium with double the clockspeed.

samjkd

Broken In
Hai

I am having an Intel pc but thinking to for AMD. I have heard about heating problems in AMD. some says that heating issue is a past thing. Is it true.
one more thing Intel decodes 6 instructions per clock but AMD decodes 9 instructions in a clock that makes AMD with low clock speed to perform better than Intel cpu's that operate in high clock speeds.

abhijit_reddevil

Manchester United
samjkd said:
Hai

I am having an Intel pc but thinking to for AMD. I have heard about heating problems in AMD. some says that heating issue is a past thing. Is it true.
one more thing Intel decodes 6 instructions per clock but AMD decodes 9 instructions in a clock that makes AMD with low clock speed to perform better than Intel cpu's that operate in high clock speeds.

Buddy do not think twice before switching over to AMD. The heating problems that you have heard are the thing of the past. AMD has rectified it a long time back. They have a patented technology called AMD Cool 'n Quiet through which the temperature of the core runs much cooler than the intel counterparts.

The best motherboards for AMD socket 939 are Asus A8N-E (separate PCI-express slot) and MSI RS480M2 (onboard ATI graphics). The best processor for users on a budget is the 3000+ venice core or 3200+ venice core if you up the budget a little bit further. I think the others agree with me.

And it has been discussed in other threads also that clock speed alone does not decide the speed at which the computer performs. The S939 3000+'s clock speed is only 1.8Ghz, but it is a superb performer.

robogeek

Broken In
amd fan

Iam also an AMD fan and bought and AMD pc from COMPAQ before three and half years back.But it just worked for two years(with huge noice like that I sometimes think that Iam switching CPU or MOTOR). Then many components have bulged on motherboard. I replaced and repaired it. Then it worked for another two months and again problems came. The repair men told that AMD is good but it is not opt for INDIAN CLIMATIC CONDITIONS. After thorough check of three days he told me that there is problem in PROCESSOR itself. Due to this motherboard affected. Due to all these problems both my CDROM and COMBO drive had failed. Now my CPU is equalled to JUNK. But many still now says AMD is better then INTEL.(Actually when I went to shop I saw more opting for AMD than INTEL). But still Iam suggesting AMD to my friends(who wants PC for less price)
BUT......

GOD knows the truth........!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom