Amarok tech preview released for Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

coolpcguy

Resistance is Futile.
From Download Squad and Sathya Says

For all those people who miss Amarok badly while on Windows, well fear not, your dream has come true….almost.
With the release of KDE4.0 which uses Qt4 framework, which has been GPL’d and available for Windows and MacOSX, a lot of effort has been put in to port KDE4 for Windows, which allows Amarok to be run under Windows as well.
*sathyasays.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/20070916_amarok-large.jpg​
At the moment, just a tech preview has been released, and you can get the steps required to install Amarok under Windows over at KDE techbase. Being a tech preview release, it’s rather buggy. In fact the developers have asked users not to submit any bug reports, because they’re busy working on the obvious ones. So don’t expect miracles. In fact, don’t expect Amarok not to crash.

Amarok on Windows ? I don't think its worth putting effort into, because there is already lot of (crap) software for windows like Real Player, iTunes, Windows Media Player, etc which can do the job in a way windows guys call "better"

The developers should be working on more important things like bringing Amarok2 out of beta, not bringing AmarokW into alpha.

OP
coolpcguy

coolpcguy

Resistance is Futile.
Amarok on Windows ? I don't think its worth putting effort into, because there is already lot of (crap) software for windows like Real Player, iTunes, Windows Media Player, etc which can do the job in a way windows guys call "better"

The developers should be working on more important things like bringing Amarok2 out of beta, not bringing AmarokW into alpha.

Well different set of developers are working on the port so lets see how it shapes up. personally I've love to see Amarok as *nix-exclusive

mehulved

18 Till I Die............

Thing is that amarok is part of KDE4, which is by itself a framework on which KDE4.x is based. This KDE4 framework has been made from ground up so that it can work with various OS's including Windows and Mac OS X, AFAIK.
Thus, Amarok being a part of KDE4 will be available on Windows, but it won't be a separate package all by itself, I guess.

Well, some guys decided to port Xine over to windows, but haven't yet succeeded. The source code is too buggy and the player sucks. I guess the complete media playing solution that has support for all formats as well as DVDs with menus as well as windows DLL loading is only Xine today, and its still GNU/Linux/BSD exclusive. I remember b!tching about this fact when I was a windows user afraid to install linux, but now, when I am a seasoned linux user, I don't regret this fact.

PS: google <xine for windows> and see the results.

hellknight

BSD init pwns System V
Really! I'm not happy that AmaroK is releaseing for Windows, it should be exclusive for Linux and BSD only.

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
QT's aim is to make all software platform independent, and it has achieved that by introducing QT4.4. I have nothing against completely platform-independent software, be it KDE or anything else. That feature simply rocks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom