AM3+ mobo required

which mobo

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
OP
saurabh_1e

saurabh_1e

teh tech saviour!
consider getting Biostar TA990FXE @ 8.5k .. a solid mobo for OCing with loads of feature and Top end AMD chipset.

no biostar for sure...4+2 Vrm phase count no no!!
even if it is rock solid then also 4+2 won't be good for highly clocked phenom x6

@d6bmg -

1. You don't have to deal with that vDroop sh!t in the Gigabyte boards.. voltage is stable under load!.. (atleast in my board it is.. :p)

2. Better layout of PCIe & SATA.

3. Higher VRM count > 8+2 Phase vs 6+2 Phase on Asus

4. Proper blue screen BIOS. Asus has BIOS for kids with mouse support! :p
(I just dont get that UEFI thingy... sry!!)

bios of Asus is much better for sure.

vdrop instability is with higher end boards 990x and 990fxa.

vrm count is more but every one is saying that Vrm and mosFet quality of Asus is more.

Technically speaking Asus one is way better than Gigabyte. I don't understand on what basis people voted that Giga board. Only because of one of the distributor of Asus?

might be better by 10% or 15% not more than that but cost is 1.375 times means 35% more in India which is not justified!

funskar

Padawan
vrm count is more but every one is saying that Vrm and mosFet quality of Asus is more.

might be better by 10% or 15% not more than that but cost is 1.375 times means 35% more in India which is not justified!

+1 n how to forget pathetic rashi:evil:

$$Lionking$$

In the zone
bios of Asus is much better for sure.

vdrop instability is with higher end boards 990x and 990fxa.

1. @BIOS - Personal preference, I dont like playing with mouse in BIOS.

2. Vdroop instability is with higher end boards - I think ur talking about that situation with 990FX-UD5 & UD7 boards - which by the way is a feature not bug. Anyways what I meant was that there is no option of Loadline calibration in Gigabyte boards - it stabilizes the voltage under load itself and keeps it constant. In Asus you have to tune it yourself and there is still fluctuations after tuning...

3. Okay - I dont believe it that Gigabyte has low quality components on board vs Asus. Infact what I remember is that Gigabyte has been extremely committed to power delivery to CPU and overclocking features on board.. heckkk a few years ago Gigabyte was promoting some X58 mobo that could supply 1500W to the CPU and they tested this in labs. Their top end boards are truly Godlike!!!

Also you would really like to ask these people who are favoring the Asus VRM's / MOSFET quality. What is the basis on which they are classifying Asus's components better than Gigabyte's components.

AcceleratorX

Youngling
Between Asus and Gigabyte I'd say they're similar, quality is probably not a concern with either of these two brands.

As for Biostar, let's just say that those boards are rock solid. TA890FXE has a record for overclocking Phenoms (with only 4+1 phase VRM), and TA990FXE is an improved version of that design.....

AMD Six Core 1090T @ 6831.27MHz / Biostar TA890FXE [Archive] - XtremeSystems Forums

Number of phases matters less than quality of phases, a review said Biostar's VRM can work at 100 degree temperatures and still not blow up or cause issues.....;)

OP
saurabh_1e

saurabh_1e

teh tech saviour!
1. @BIOS - Personal preference, I dont like playing with mouse in BIOS.

2. Vdroop instability is with higher end boards - I think ur talking about that situation with 990FX-UD5 & UD7 boards - which by the way is a feature not bug. Anyways what I meant was that there is no option of Loadline calibration in Gigabyte boards - it stabilizes the voltage under load itself and keeps it constant. In Asus you have to tune it yourself and there is still fluctuations after tuning...

3. Okay - I dont believe it that Gigabyte has low quality components on board vs Asus. Infact what I remember is that Gigabyte has been extremely committed to power delivery to CPU and overclocking features on board.. heckkk a few years ago Gigabyte was promoting some X58 mobo that could supply 1500W to the CPU and they tested this in labs. Their top end boards are truly Godlike!!!

Also you would really like to ask these people who are favoring the Asus VRM's / MOSFET quality. What is the basis on which they are classifying Asus's components better than Gigabyte's components.

Yup was talking about that feature which they installed in higher end boards for bull dozer.....

and me too feeling Vrm quality claims are all baseless....

now new problem availability of giga for 6.2k is a issue now....
there is nothing in stock with Nehru place dealers.....

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
4. Proper blue screen BIOS. Asus has BIOS for kids with mouse support! :p
Windows doesn't support booting from a GPT disk on BIOS based systems. You're stuck with MBR (4 Primary partitions BS) as far as Windows is concerned.

GPT = future. MBR = history.

OP
saurabh_1e

saurabh_1e

teh tech saviour!
Windows doesn't support booting from a GPT disk on BIOS based systems. You're stuck with MBR (4 Primary partitions BS) as far as Windows is concerned.

WTH!! I thought gigabyte have uefi bios just not as good as Asus !! this is a deal breaker i am getting a Asus tomorrow depending upon price will choose between pro and evo

$$Lionking$$

In the zone
Between Asus and Gigabyte I'd say they're similar, quality is probably not a concern with either of these two brands.

As for Biostar, let's just say that those boards are rock solid. TA890FXE has a record for overclocking Phenoms (with only 4+1 phase VRM), and TA990FXE is an improved version of that design.....

AMD Six Core 1090T @ 6831.27MHz / Biostar TA890FXE [Archive] - XtremeSystems Forums

Number of phases matters less than quality of phases, a review said Biostar's VRM can work at 100 degree temperatures and still not blow up or cause issues.....;)

check the AMD BD WR video - macci claims that FX 2core did not exceed its TDP at any point in time...

Power Consumption @subzero doesn't scale linearly...

Well GPT -is future for sure no arguing there.. :p

although I personally never felt the need of more than 4 primary partitions... I have 7 primary partitions in 3 HDDs...

OP
saurabh_1e

saurabh_1e

teh tech saviour!
ordered Asus M5A97 EVO
from itdepot for 8.5k shipped.

They confirmed to ship on Tuesday after payment is cleared but then some Bla Bla ..........they shipped on Wednesday night from overnite when i paid for Dtdc.
no update till now from overnite.....
Dtdc deliver within 24hrs between metropolitan cities...
overnite are saying they will take atleast 2 days to ship.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
ordered Asus M5A97 EVO
from itdepot for 8.5k shipped.

They confirmed to ship on Tuesday after payment is cleared but then some Bla Bla ..........they shipped on Wednesday night from overnite when i paid for Dtdc.
no update till now from overnite.....
Dtdc deliver within 24hrs between metropolitan cities...
overnite are saying they will take atleast 2 days to ship.

@ OP - Congrats ;-)

no biostar for sure...4+2 Vrm phase count no no!!
even if it is rock solid then also 4+2 won't be good for highly clocked phenom x6

It's even suitable for cpus with 8 cores :

BIOSTAR TA990FXE AMD 990FX Motherboard Review - Overclocking the BIOSTAR TA990FXE - Legit Reviews
Biostar TA990FXE AM3+ Review | techPowerUp

Top Bottom