am i doing/thinking right? seeking a non programming advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
i am a information technology graduate(indian). graduated from a worst kind of private engineering college, in 2012(they are very common in india). i had worst kind of classmates and teachers who cannot be called as educated and to call them "just literate" is quite apt.

i came to know about the significance of the programming languages in the software industry from internet(to be right!!!).

it had two reasons

a) the seniors/teachers to whom i was asking for advice didn't knew anything.(and they rather asked me that why am i worrying so much about the programming languages when the i.t. companies coming to the college for campus recruitment asked only the theoretical knowledge of the programming language, they only knew about the indian i.t. industry and the type of works done there , maintenance,testing etc )

b) they were very poor at english. (they only had to mug up some points before the examination and put it down on the answer sheet is a reason for this)

(i still remember a senior suggesting me that, you can pass your engineering examination without a computer......... :_( )

then i developed a habit of asking a lot of questions at internet, which helped me. all my friends are employed rest me!!!

now i have decided to

a) get a good rank at topcoder.com, interviewstreet.com etc

b) do a lot of projects at github.com

c) become a good programmer not a coder like many in india!

d) maintain a blog relating to the programming language.

and then enter into the software industry so that i can get good quality peers, some respect for me, a better salary.

i am proficient at c/c++ and then l would go for java, Perl, Python, Erlang

(better late than never)

am i doing/thinking right?

i am feeling uneasy as i have tried all the ways to get a response to this question. I have read my question 16 times, i find it to be true and accurate. i think only an indian can understand my pain :-(

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness
Happened to the most of us. Person who doesn't know about coding get jobs easily, because in interview they vomit their mugged up answers. Bue we do not. Please don't do whatever you said. It will take ages for one to achieve those things IMO, especially for a eng pass-out. So better you get strong with your basics to pass the interview, choose your programming language, prepare well. Don't settle for any other programming language, if company offers. It's your time of the life where you have to stay put yourself in good condition, otherwise you will end up being another coder out of frustration.

So go prepare your basics and crack the interview. Get the job, perform well. Move to another company within next 2-3 years. This way you can climb up the ladder easily.

OP
A

abhithepandey

Banned
i respect your views, i had and have offers from the different i.t. companies based on the eLitmus :: India's largest fresher assessment and recruitment company. | eLitmus.com consultancy result exams.
i am very hard working.
i am above average/good at c/c++ and would take very less time in switching to another programming language.

rakesh_ic

Cyborg Agent
i respect your views, i had and have offers from the different i.t. companies based on the eLitmus :: India's largest fresher assessment and recruitment company. | eLitmus.com consultancy result exams.
i am very hard working.
i am above average/good at c/c++ and would take very less time in switching to another programming language.

Here is the catch..

You learn language from college or intitutes and think that the knowledge that you have acquired is what you might end up working on. Believe me, thats not the case always. All you learn in any institute outside or in college is just the basics to understand and work on it. But the real time or production environment has lot of learnings that you uncover with experience.

Having said so.. I can understand your urge to get into everything and anything as you know you can work hard. But do you think a jack of all and a master of nothing fetch you anything ?? I might sound harsh but thats the reality out here.

All you have to do is to choose the language that excites you and channelize your work on it and atleast get a good hold of it. Attend interviews and earn a job. You can take your programming skills to the next level only if you start working on real time projects and troubleshoot for the client/customer.

Every software follows a life cycle - SDLC (ofcourse you know it) and it has various stages of requirements gathering, build, testing, deployment and ofcourse maintenance. If you think these are pertaining to work in Indian companies only, then I guess you are wrong.

lastly.. hard working pays only till certain level, but in IT its the smart work that pays you more.

BTW, you are on the right track on one thing - asking questions.. ask more and get better idea about what you are into. Plan and pursue accordingly.

What you are thinking of doing will really take a lot of time. You should really take up a job now, then progress yourself along the lines of that company. Suppose you join IBM, so do the work you've been employeed for, then see what are the other jobs in that company. Then make some effort to get those positions, that progressing through the lines of the company.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom