Alternatives to caviar blacks

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor
Guys, I'm running out of HDD space so I might replace my rag-tag set of HDDs slapped together as a dynamic volume and put 4TB of HDD space instead.

I think the Caviar Black 2TB drives (2 in raid 0 is the plan) are very good. Are there any other drives with similar performance and reliability at a lower price available in the market today? Seagate seems to have way too many complaints for me to consider them.

If there are not, then WD it is.

Mario

Ambassador of Buzz
The warranty seems to be confusing for WD Black. Some says its 5 yr and some says its 3 yrs. Which exactly is true?

5 years. Beware of fake blacks though - buy from reputed shops.

@EG: You can consider Reds as well. Else, Black it is.

Mario

Ambassador of Buzz
I got 4 years 10 months warranty though, after registering it showed that.
Not a big deal anyway!

What, it should be 5 years from date of purchase! When I tried to register it, the first time it said, its out of warranty and I was like what the......the next time I tried, it registered and showed full 5 years.

ithehappy

Human Spambot
Well my luck then! I have to comprise two months I guess! Knowing the quality record of WD, I don't think it'll be an issue, unless I'm damn unlucky :|

OP
Extreme Gamer

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor
Well my luck then! I have to comprise two months I guess! Knowing the quality record of WD, I don't think it'll be an issue, unless I'm damn unlucky :|

I have to agree! I'm still using my 5 year old 320GB WD caviar SE16 in the current jugaad kiya hua dynamic volume comprising of three discs, and it has not let me down even once.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
if you buy from 3rd party/reseller than most likely the warranty starts from the date the hdd was sold by main distributor to that reseller reason being that main distributor update their online sale records regularly.i bought a seagate hdd directly from main distributor of seagate in North India & upon registering sale date matches with bill date compared to when i bought from another shop in nehru place where there was a difference of ~20 days in sale date & bill date.online shopping sites/bulk sellers who directly get hdd's from seagate/manufacturer are not affected by this condition as effectively they act just like distributors.

P.S.raid 0 is not recommended for storage but for speeds as 1 hdd failure results in loss of entire array of 2 hdd.

Mario

Ambassador of Buzz
I keep hearing about these 'raid' things, have no idea what that is! Lol.

Dude, from what I have seen of you on TDF, you always search before asking, but I know BSNL is right now screwing you (and me and others...), so here goes! ;)
Click and come back in 30 mins - hopefully, page would have loaded by then :p

The layman understanding is, its a way of using more than one disk to mirror data (redundancy), while balancing redundancy and performance and fault tolerance.

Top Bottom