All laptop related queries here!!!

indro

In the zone
Hello forum users,

I've seen lots of threads and posts where users keep asking for Laptops and quotes according to their specifications and requirements....

So , For better and centralised way of finding the right information , Which can include a new Laptop , Mobile Processors , Prices , or Mobile Graphics GPU's , this thread can serve your purpose .

Happy Posting People !

---------------------------------------------

All the general laptop queries can be continued to be posted here.

Sourabh

Sourabh

Laptoping
I guess a portable section for Cellphones, Notebooks, MP3 players, Digicams and etc wod be worth a thought

Seeing that laptops are getting so cheaper and everyone wants to get rid of their wire cluttered desktop, tht wod certainly be an icing on the cake.

meanwhile a sticky for this wod be good, if the mods approve tht is :)

mayneu

Journeyman
i need clarification on the price of laptop

indro said:
Yes , thats what i thought ,

Hopefully :d
which u have quoted there... is it available in india now?
where is it available?

premrajeev

Journeyman
tell me , what would be the cost of a laptop ram, 128mb, (SDRAM) , 100 Mhz ??

This is for my IBM thinkpad i series one.

mamba

In the zone
hello ppl

wanna ask u something , thats been buggin me 4 quite some time now .

going 2 canada 4 my studies . there would most probably get a inspiron xps gen2 . it has a ative res of 19xx X 12xx . even tho it has Go 6800 ultra , me thinkz playin something like doom3 would tax it 2 hell n the fps wouldnt b playable . its got a lcd screen . n lcdz have a prob in runnin at ne other res than their native 1

so my query is , will it b able 2 play games at a lower res , say 16xx X 12xx , without there being ne distortion or blurring on the screen ??

chirayu garg

Journeyman
I need a LAPTOP with following configurations:
P4 2.4GHZ
512 MB DDR 400MHZ
DVD writer -R/+R
17"display
and a good Graphics card
Please tell model and Price

sumitava_b

In the zone
chirayu garg said:
P4 2.4GHZ
512 MB DDR 400MHZ
DVD writer -R/+R
17"display
and a good Graphics card

I hope u r well-known about all the pros and cons of the config u have mentioned. Choosing a pentium 4 with 17" screen will definitely cause a pain in ur shoulder and pocket. Most of the lappy with ur config u will find too heavy too carry around. If u r looking for a desktop-replacement, then its okay. U have to sit with ur lappy always power-plugged in, because ur system will eat ur battery like a monster.

I dunno ur requirements....but why not Pentium M which is not that much power-savvy, but fast too???

How ever, ur specified config is majorly indicating Sony vaio GRT series (Be ready to shell out heavy buckes!!). Otherwise u can also look for Toshiba satellite P25, Acer Aspire AS1711SCi or HP Comapaq nx5000. Search in the net for more information. Not all the lappy have 17" sceen. Some have 16.1" too. I am sorry about indian prices. Not all the laptop company have upto-date indian sites.......

super_i_man

Broken In
Suggestion

1. Laptops are not for games: This is my personal experience. You can play games, for this I will suggest you to get an extra USB keyboard and mouse. A docking station will also do.

2. Boss you want a 17" laptop: what do you want it for, a 17 inch notebook is the most trouble some thing on earth. Now in the US 12" are coming out. 17" is definitely a no no for a notebook. Battray consumption is also a question.

Nemesis

Wise Old Owl
mamba said:
hello ppl

wanna ask u something , thats been buggin me 4 quite some time now .

going 2 canada 4 my studies . there would most probably get a inspiron xps gen2 . it has a ative res of 19xx X 12xx . even tho it has Go 6800 ultra , me thinkz playin something like doom3 would tax it 2 hell n the fps wouldnt b playable . its got a lcd screen . n lcdz have a prob in runnin at ne other res than their native 1

so my query is , will it b able 2 play games at a lower res , say 16xx X 12xx , without there being ne distortion or blurring on the screen ??

The native resolution of 1920x1200 makes for some good eye-candy while using XP althought you will have trouble finding good wallpapers :D

When you play games, the LCD will stretch the display to fit the screen. As a result, if you run games on lowe resolutions, then they will not look too pretty. My Inspiron 9100 has a resolution of 1680x1050 and DOOM III on 800x600 looks OK. But you should be able to run it at a higher resolution so it will be fine. Try UT2004 though. It supports upto 1920x1200 and will play at that resolution without any problems :D I myself play it at 1680x1050 with absolutely no issues.

Another thing you can do is set the LCD to not stretch the display. If you play at 1024x768 for example, there will be a small window of tht size in the middle of the screen and the rest of the display will be black. Although not comfortable, it reveals the games in all their glory :p

@super_i_man: Wake up dude. The XPS is a gaming laptop. Nobody thinks about battery life when they buy an XPS. A Wireless mouse is a definite buy although the keyboard is not really needed. And the 17" display is gorgeous. I see no reason not to get it. It will look good with DVDs since it is a widescreen display. And he wants a gaming laptop and not an ultra-portable so a 12" display is a definite no-no for him.

sumitava_b

In the zone
I agree with nemesis. Today with so many eye-popping specs introduced in the laptop section, u can not say that laptop is not for game. Its obvious that desktop is best for gaming purpose, but laptop is not left behind much. Just see the config of XPS or acer ferrari. Superb powerhorse to run most of the latest games with ease.....

And choosing the size of ur screen is purely based on personal choice and requirement. If u r inclined to use it for entertainment purpose more, then go for 17". Otherwise settle down for 15". 12" is okay if r dieing for the ultraportability of ur lappy, but it really creates an uneasy feeling to see those small fonts, specially if u r involved in lot of editing and programming.

er.darshan

Broken In
chirayu garg said:
P4 2.4GHZ
512 MB DDR 400MHZ
DVD writer -R/+R
17"display
and a good Graphics card

you can go for Dell Inspiron 9300It would be better if you read through a thred named Buying a Laptop

mamba

In the zone
thanx nemesis . was thinkin on the same lines myself . otherwise how can u explain janta around the globe getting ' bawdi ' :lol: , falling over each other , mobilising resources 2 get their hands on a xps2 ( atleast this is what i percieved frm reading other forums ) . ita a gaming lappy , n ppl r buying it 2 do just that - play games . so it must b able 2 nething , without much of a problem

its backup is bout 2 hrs , enuf 4 me . tho would have liked 4-5 hrs which 9300 gives but ' kuch pane ke liye kuch khona padta hai ' :D

sumitava_b

In the zone
The battery life of xps wudnt stretch to 2 hrs (with 6-cell, by default) if u r playing some latest 3-D game unplugged, for which u r taking this machine, I presume. In this situation, 9300 also wont last 4-5 hrs. Battery life mainly depends on the programs u r running while unplugged.

sumitava_b

In the zone
Can anyone tell me about toshiba satellite M40 model? Does anyone here have that model? What will be indian price of it?

Actually I was zeroing my search to Dell inspiron6000. Recently I came across with that Toshiba model. It caught my eyes because of its graphics card (nvidia go 6600), which is the only cons I am finding in dell model (ATI x300). Please inform me about the comparison of their performance.

mamba

In the zone
check out this months CHIP . they have carried out a notebook comparo

in it the m40 gets the best performance award , with its go 6600 n all . its price is 109k in india . definately recommended seeing the kindda systems available here 4 much higher price

premrajeev

Journeyman
ny one going for a new laptop must choose the centrino platform (if u r an intel FAN) and not p4. It's more cool, powerful and eats up less battery.Also, u will get wireless conncetivity.

17"are good for gaming, if u dont mind carrying it around. For me, the smaller, the better. I game on my desktop, and a 19"montor .But ppl who wants gaming on the move KING SIZE, must go for a 1"7 incher...and buy lot of spare batteries too...

Top Bottom