All laptop related queries here!!!

gopz

In the zone
Yeah Acer 2920 is excellent VFM but the only issue I noticed is that it DOES NOT have a Firewire port.

Also, if you have a higher budget, why not Dell XPS m1330?

marvindrao

Broken In
Hi guys...
I am planning to buy a new laptop in the range of 35k-40k range..
my aim is to enjoy sum decent gaming experience and multimedia applications....
Plz suggest sum appropriate model.....

earthen61

Broken In
wldn' it make more sense 2 wait fer da 9600gt to hit notebooks?......i mean, in any case ur gonna get the thing delivered about a month late, so u mite as well wait fer a month nd get

Sourabh

Laptoping
If it was possible to keep heat issues at bay for the 13.3" laptops integrated with even the mid-range GPUs like GeForce 8600M GS/GT, manufacturers would definitely have done that. Moreover, having mid-range and high end GPUs defeats the purpose of an ultra-portable.

That said, there are a few laptops in 13.3" form factor which do have GeForce 8600M GS in them but it's in best interest of everyone that no one puts that in such small laptops. Not with normal cooling and high power ratings of these GPUs surely.

Geforce

Journeyman
Guys...me again....
after loads of research nd discussion....
finally madeup my mind for xps 1530..

so please suggest pros nd cons of the config nd suggest some good bargains that i can ask for while ordering it in the coming week........

Dell XPS 1530

# Windows Vista Home Premium
# 2.0 GHz Core 2 Duo T7250 processor, Santa Rosa chipset
# 2GB DDR2-667 SDRAM
# 160GB 5400 RPM SATA HDD
# 15.4-inch WXGA (1280 x 800) CCFL glossy screen
# "Crimson" red paint
# Slot-loading dual-layer DVD±RW drive
# NVIDIA GeForce Go 8600M GT with 256MB GDDR3
# WWAN option for Verizon
# Ethernet, 802.11a/g/n (Intel 4965), Bluetooth option
# Integrated 2.0 megapixel webcam
# HDMI, VGA, S-Video, Firewire/1394, three USB 2.0 ports, integrated media reader (MS, SD, xD), fingerprint reader
# Media Center remote located in ExpressCard slot

can i install xp on it later on ??..wher to look for help for it ??...

Moreover I think going for 160 gigs HDD would be a better options rather than upgrading it to 250 for addl. 3000...
i guess purchasing an external 160 gigs HDD for 3500-3700 would be a better options.....please comment on this entire post...pros/nd cons nd stuff that i can use ..

How can you be sure that 8600M GT is coming with GDDR3 and not with the slower GDDR2 memory. I have had a long conversation with the Dell Rep but they say its DDR2 (~GDDR2). The following was my conversation with them:-

Me: [XR147] -256MB NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) 8600M GT : Please confirm whether the 256MB of dedicated memory in this part is of type GDDR2 or GDDR3. The reason for asking this question is that in some dell models for example- Inspiron 1520 it is explicitly mentioned that it is of type GDDR2. Various Internet resources point out that Dell XPS M1530 model being a gaming laptop contains the GDDR3 type of memory in the graphics card but I would still like to confirm it from your side (or any other dell technician). In windows this information can be found by downloading and running the free utility - 'TechPowerUp GPU-Z' on that system. This information is important to me because there is considerable performance/speed difference between GDDR2 and GDDR3 in a graphics card.

Note: Being an advanced user in computers I understand that this is different from the 2GB of system memory (RAM) which in this case is of type DDR2 running at 667Mhz.

Dell Rep:256MB NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) 8600M GT is DDR2

From various internet resource it is clear that Dell XPS M1530 contains GDDR3 but has this information been confirmed in india. May be in India they are putting the cheaper GDDR2 option.

If anyone has purchased this laptop with 8600GT card in India, please confirm by running the utility - 'GPU-Z'.

Please help!

Last edited:

shahhardik27

Right off the assembly line
hi guys..i m planning to buy a new laptop. my range is 30k-37.5k.....my aim is playing sports games like fifa07-08,cricket 07-08,nfs mw-carbon...etc...n i also going to use little bit related to education....so plz suggest me any new laptop.......hoping 4 ur reply....

coolendra

Neil is Here...
How can you be sure that 8600M GT is coming with GDDR3 and not with the slower GDDR2 memory. I have had a long conversation with the Dell Rep but they say its DDR2 (~GDDR2). The following was my conversation with them:-

Me: [XR147] -256MB NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) 8600M GT : Please confirm whether the 256MB of dedicated memory in this part is of type GDDR2 or GDDR3. The reason for asking this question is that in some dell models for example- Inspiron 1520 it is explicitly mentioned that it is of type GDDR2. Various Internet resources point out that Dell XPS M1530 model being a gaming laptop contains the GDDR3 type of memory in the graphics card but I would still like to confirm it from your side (or any other dell technician). In windows this information can be found by downloading and running the free utility - 'TechPowerUp GPU-Z' on that system. This information is important to me because there is considerable performance/speed difference between GDDR2 and GDDR3 in a graphics card.

Note: Being an advanced user in computers I understand that this is different from the 2GB of system memory (RAM) which in this case is of type DDR2 running at 667Mhz.

Dell Rep:256MB NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) 8600M GT is DDR2

From various internet resource it is clear that Dell XPS M1530 contains GDDR3 but has this information been confirmed in india. May be in India they are putting the cheaper GDDR2 option.

If anyone has purchased this laptop with 8600GT card in India, please confirm by running the utility - 'GPU-Z'.

Please help!

I had a word with a Dell Representative....he told me that its GDDR3 ....
can ne1 else confirm me this ??...

~It_is_Andrew~

Journeyman
*img150.imageshack.us/img150/7756/xps1530serviceopsio0.jpg

above is the service/warranty options present in XPS 1530 currently.

I am confused whether the basic configuration (selected by default) includes the 1 - yr limited warranty/next business day onsite support? (as it is not mentioned anywhere directly)

If it has the thing then the difference between dell care & default one is only 'helpdesk'?!!

Please reply...

choudang

Padawan
I have got a notebook N222S. it was issued by IILM previously. now the problem is that i'm not able to find out any drivers for N222S notebook. Can someone help me out.

Top Bottom