All laptop related queries here!!!

Akshay

Cyborg Agent
Re: First timer

fyoudigit said:
Hi,

I'm an Engineering student, and want to buy a laptop for browsing/movies and mid level games (Counterstrike, QIV). My budget is around 35k, but there are so many brands available that I simply can't decide. Please give me your opinion on which ones to buy. Around here, the Compaq Presairo model is very common; How does it compare to the others in its price range?

Thanks a lot!

I dont think so there is any laptop costing below 45k which can play Quake 4 (hpe that is wht u meant by QIV) at gud frame rates with even medium settings.

Compaq Presario is a gud option and the prices are reasonable. (though a little expensive than others, HP-Compaq offer freebies worth the difference).

Also I wud like to suggest that dont buy Celeron sys....

d00by

Broken In
Sourabh said:
either of them are not so good notebook brands. I doubt that even the celeron notebooks from LG come within 35k. You can get one from ebay India. If not try Dell or Lenovo, they ship it free right to your door steps. You can check out www.lenovo.com/in and www.dell.co.in

I would suggest getting the C100 from Lenovo powered by celeron M, costs 36k shipped.

I live in delhi.

I went to the market today and had a look.

Boy, it was confusing.

But, I zeroed in on on two contendors.

Acer travelmate 2424 nwxci - Rs. 31,500
Lenovo C100 0761D7A - Rs. 35,000

Lenovo was offering extra gooding like free adsl router and reliance data card worth 6000 bucks. Lenovo also had 4.5 hours battery life (8 cells), 915 GM chipset.

Acer in comparsion offered 2.5 hours battery (6 cells), it had 910GML intel chipset.

I don't know whta this 910, 915 means.

also, lenovo was 15' monitor. Acer was 14.1 inches but it was wider.

I am still rooting for acer, but I also like Lenovo's battery.

What is this 910 and 915 chipset thingy?

Can you recommend a laptop for me?

Sourabh

Laptoping
Dude, get the Lenovo C100. I own a Acer myself, nothing against it. I brough it about 15 months ago when there were no other options for budget laptops. Now you do. Ask out for some discounts, I had seen a c100 for 33k at plug n play in lammy. Even the price on the lenovo website for the same is 35k shipped. So you never know.

d00by

Broken In
Thank you for your time. :)

Can you elaborate a little more on why you are preffering lenovo?

also, why do some people recommend NOT to go with celeron proceessors as far as laptops are concerned? if clelron is bad then what is the alternate processor?

Last edited:

d00by

Broken In
Compaq vs lenovo c100 and acer?

Akshay said:
Compaq Presario is a gud option and the prices are reasonable. (though a little expensive than others, HP-Compaq offer freebies worth the difference).

Also I wud like to suggest that dont buy Celeron sys....

how is the Compaq Presario 2512 model?
more info here *tinyurl.com/hcf5g

Is it better than the two laptops I am mentioning in my previous posts in this thread?

Last edited:

Sourabh

Laptoping
Stick with Intel. Celeron is nice, and descent enough for most needs. People say a lot of things, not all of them are true. Celeron might not have the speed step technology, or a 2MB cache or other features on the paper but it gets the work done. That is what you want at the end of the day. Do not go in for AMD, they lay no specifications on chipsets to be used as such and what these manufacturers use are mere desktop chipsets which are stripped down for laptops. the result is a power hungry laptop with a pathetic battery life.

I just preferred Lenovo over Acer, because it has a better config and a better battery life. No experience with Lenovo's After Sales support, but it should be nice. If I am not mistaken, you can even extend your warranty to upto three years paying 10k extra and get peace of mind. Though it doesnt mean much if you are going for a budget laptop.

d00by

Broken In
Sourabh said:
I just preferred Lenovo over Acer, because it has a better config and a better battery life. No experience with Lenovo's After Sales support, but it should be nice. If I am not mistaken, you can even extend your warranty to upto three years paying 10k extra and get peace of mind. Though it doesnt mean much if you are going for a budget laptop.

Thank you for your time and patience.

one last query. What are your views on Compaq Presario vs. Lenovo?

d00by

d00by

Broken In
Sourabh said:
doesnt matter much. Personal choice if its the same config.

thank u for your time and help.

I am going to nehru place today. I will most probably buy lenovo c100 d7...

Wish me luck. I hope I end with a laptop which will not make me regret buying it! :D

best,
d00by

d00by

Broken In
Sourabh said:
doesnt matter much. Personal choice if its the same config.

I just bought compaq presario 2623 for 36K. It has 60 GB hdd and dvd writer.

I hope I have made a good choice.

I did not go for Lenova as I was not too thrilled with the idea of buying a chinese product.

d00by

Akshay

Cyborg Agent
What do u mean by Chinese product? Most of the leading companies like sony, nokia, compaq have a manufacturing and R & D units in China. If u knw, the nokia phones shipped in india (with bill and warranty) are chinese make.

Lenovo is any day the best when it comes to safety and reliability as lenovo is nothing but IBM. Only the ownership has changed and not the technology...

Compaq is a gud choice u have made though processor cud have been Intel Centrino or core. Personally I have used acer and compaq & definitely from my personal experiences and inputs from my friends, I am against an ACER sys...

d00by

Broken In
Nehru Place is the centre hub as far is computer hardware in delhi is concerned.

I talked to a few people there and they were not too enthusiastic about Lenovo. They thought of it as a chinese company!

I guess I freaked out! :(

I hope I did not make a mistake in going for compaq presario 2623 against lenovo c100.

I guess I was also attracted to compaq because of the dvd writer feature and 60 gb HDD.

But the battery backup is not as good as lenovo.

Anyway, I have bought compaq. Now, I have to live with it for Better or for the worse.

I hope it's the former!! :)

d00by

Akshay

Cyborg Agent
Compaq definitely has a lower battery life as compared to other manufacturers. With compaq, luckily I am yet to face a prb... U can rely on compaq as much as u can on a lenovo sys.

In case u wer promised a free gift with purchase of compaq sys., I wud suggest u to register urself at the link provided asap coz the HP-Compaq ppl have tendency to delay the delivery of freebies or not deliver them at all!!!

I guess u will be getting a reliance card or phone or something like dat... u can confirm the same with Compaq toll free no...

d00by

Broken In
I got a leather carry bag when I bought the laptop at the shop itself.

I have registered the laptop at theie website.

I agree with you that the battery is not all that great.

Lenova would have given better battery!

Akshay

Cyborg Agent
With compaq u can take carry case for granted... What I am talking about is something more than that... Even my friend got a compaq sys last week (dont remember the model but arnd 35k only) and he is getting free reliance mobile phone.. so jus confirm it from ur dealer and their toll free no. (their site is not upto date most of the times regarding freebies)

d00by

Broken In
I did not know about the data card.

Do you know the customer care number from where I can enquire about the freebies?

digicool

Right off the assembly line
hi there, im just planning 2 buy a laptop- Hp pavillion dv5118TX but the model is being discontinued....so now there gonna be a dv5200 any idea bout da new dv5200..price..specs..etc

Akshay

Cyborg Agent
Try calling 1800-444-999 (this no. doesnt seem to work). U can also try calling on 1800-112267 or 30306363 (technical support nos)

Top Bottom