All laptop related queries here!!!

vinayasurya

Journeyman
Which is a better processor AMD X2 or Intel Solo? I saw a compaq model 3029AU and i am impressed by intergrated GeForce 6150 and 80 GB HDD. The compaq model 3018TU has 1.8Ghz solo processor but packs only 60 GB and intel intergrated media accelerator. And it retails for around 46000. Of the two which is more value for money?

kisorgovinda

Broken In
After IBM laptops were taken over by Lenovo its quality has deteriorated ( I have heard from one of my friend ). He suggested me acer products. What do u all suggest? I am looking for a Laptop around 40k.

Akshay

Cyborg Agent
U have lots of options from HP/compaq, dell, acer, lenovo, etc. What r ur requirements and wht r u going to use it for? chk links in previous posts

Austin06

Right off the assembly line
hey.. just a booked a HP pavilion dv5200TX.. im a bit confused now.. just 2 -3 days before i saw GeFOrce Go7400 (256mb with turbocache 2.0 upto 512mb).. now it has reduced 128mb (acc. HP INDIA portal : Up to 128MB discrete + 128MB shared memory for >= 512MB system memory)?

I mean wat the hell!! i am damn confused.. finally which Graphic card am i gettin..

And is dv5200 worth a buy? Here's the latest config :
------------------

Processor
Intel® Core™ Duo Processor T2250 with Intel® Centrino® Duo Mobile Technology (1.73GHz, 2MB L2 cache, 533MHz FSB)

Operating system
Genuine Windows XP Home

Standard memory 1GB

Maximum memory
Upgradeable to 2GB

System memory
1GB (2 x 512MB) DDR2 SDRAM, upgradeable to 2GB

Cache
Level 2 cache 2 MB

Hard drive 100GB (5400 rpm)

Optical drive Super Multi Drive Dual Layer DVD±RW/±R

Graphics
Up to 128MB discrete + 128MB shared memory for >= 512MB system memory

Modem
High speed 56K modem

Network 10/100 LAN Ethernet integrated

Pre-installed software
Microsoft® Windows® Media Player, Muvee AutoProducer, Microsoft® Money, Microsoft® Works, Microsoft® Encarta (available for AU/NZ only), Sonic Digital Media Plus, HP Quickplay 2.1, Sun Java, Symantec Norton AntiVirus-Virus Definition File Update, Symantec Norton Internet Security (60 days live update - pre-install), HP Photosmart Premier, .Net Framework, Macromedia Flash

Software on CD
HP Pavilion recovery partition (including possibility to recover system, applications and drivers separately); Optional re-allocation of recovery partition; Recovery CD/DVD creation tool; Symantec™ Norton Internet Security™ 2006 (60 days live update); Notebook Help & Support

Battery 6-cell Lithium-Ion (Li-Ion) battery

Display 15.4" colour WXGA+ BrightView

Pointing device Touch Pad with dedicated vertical Scroll Up/Down pad

I/O interfaces (1) 6-in-1 Digital Media Reader slot, (1) IEEE 1394 port, (1) S-video port, (1) VGA port, (1) Notebook Expansion Slot, (1) Headphone, (1) External Microphone, (1) AC power adapter, (1) RJ-11, (1) RJ-45, (3) USB 2.0 ports

Security features
Kensington Micro Saver Lock slot, power-on password; accepts 3rd party security lock devices

PC card slots
(1) Type I/II PC Card Slot with support for 16-bit PCMIA and 32-bit Cardbus, (1) ExpressCard/54 Slot

Audio
Altec Lansing branded speaker

Keyboard
101 key compatible keyboard

Dimensions
26.39 cm (L) x 35.78 cm (W) x 3.50 cm - 4.40 cm (H)

Weight 2.98 kg (6.6 lbs)

Internal Hard Disk Drive
100GB

Resolution 1280 x 800

Viewable Image Size 15.4" colour WXGA+ BrightView
---------------------

waitin for swift replies..

Akshay

Cyborg Agent
This is the best sys u can get in India in this price range. For graphics, ur card will have 128mb mem. totally to itself. Rest wil be shared.

Regarding this sys., one negative point is its battery life. It is below 2hrs. So either upgrade ur battery or have power connection nearby.

Maverick340

Ambassador of Buzz
Oaky this may sound odscure , but what if i want to buy an extreme laptop , meaning no price budget :D , which is used primarily for playing movies , playing games , music and internet .

Akshay

Cyborg Agent
Den go for Dell models specifically meant for it or even Acer Ferrari is a gud option in dis case. Alienware has some cool systems for u...

Maverick340

Ambassador of Buzz
Acer ferrari has a very bad battery life i heard. True ?
And i was wondering what wud the config of such a laptop be . brand is not the major concern . I just dunno what to pack in :p

Akshay

Cyborg Agent
U shud go for sys with a gud processor (preferably intel duo), atleast 1GB Ram, a decent 256MB graphics card (preferably nvidia), DVD Writer, Widescreen, gud quality spkrs, bluetooth, wifi, card reader, webcam, atleast 80GB HDD.

Given the config of such high end sys, ur battry life is bound to b less unless u upgrade it too. Get a spare battry also.

Maverick340

Ambassador of Buzz
Is intel better for laptops or AMD . I for one swer my AMD , but with dual core 2 , AMD is certainly under threat !

eagle_y2j

Youngling
Plz review this confi:---Dell Inspiron(TM) 6400 Intel(R) Core(TM) Duo Processor T2050 Notebook

Processor:- Intel(R) Core(TM) Duo Processor T2250 1.73 GHz, 2MB Cache, 533 MHz FSB

DIMM Memory 1024MB (2 X 512MB) DDR2 SDRAM

Keyboards Internal Dell(TM) 87 Keys Keyboard (English)

EIDE Hard Drives 80GB SATA Hard Drive

Internal Optical Drive Internal 24X Max DVD/CD-RW Combo Drive

Wireless Solution Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945 Dual Band 802.11a/g 54Mbps Wireless Mini Card
Modems Internal 56K Modem

Dell(TM) Wireless 355 Bluetooth Module

Total Amount Before Tax Rs 53,471.00

Is this a right choice or I can get any other gud solution at this price

Sourabh

Laptoping
If you are going with onboard graphics, configure the Inspiron 640m. Its 14.1 in widescreen form-factor can serve all purposes. Not to mention 640m will be slightly easy on the budget. You should go in for a Core duo T2400, Dell should be ashamed trashing cheap silicon like T2050 in Indian market. Moreover, stick with 512MB RAM from the default config. You can sell it off later if you are not satisdied and get 51MB2x2 DDR2 667Mhz sticks from the local market. They are quite cheap. I wouldnt like to see any bottleneck in the system, so going in for a 667Mhz RAM would be a lot wiser, though there is not much performance difference. When you order 512MB RAM from stock config, there are a lot of chances you can get a 667Mhz one too. It becomes a very costly affair if you customize your laptop a lot. You should also consider a DVD writer, its just 2k more and comes in handy while backups. It is very costly to ugprade the optical drive later on.

jijus

EDGE/GPRS connection problem

I use a HP Compaq nx 6110 laptop + xp home and a SonyEricsson GC 85 EDGE/GPRS pc card modem on my type II card slot, and a fixed monthly rate, unlimited data package from my cell company to connect to net, the problem is it drops the connection if no physical activity on the laptop, so getting down some huge files with a torrent client makes it impossible, is there a way to over come this? (I know this type of connection not meant to be using with a torrent client, but I want my laptop which’s display is broken and the connection package to be put to use fully while I am sleeping ;-)

did i post it at the right place?

Sourabh

Laptoping
As for the laptop switching itself off due to inactivity, Check the Power Options on the PCMCIA Adapter in Device Manager. If there is no option related to 'Allow this device to switch off to save power', then you would have to tinker with the general settings in Control Panel> Power options. You can set the Turn off monitor, hard disk and system stand-by to 'Never' to solve your problem.

jijus

Thank you sourabh, my laptop runs on power, power managements settings are set to nevr turn off /no stand by mode! no scree savers as well! in device manager no power settings found!

Last edited:

Sourabh

Laptoping
Are you sure inactivity of your laptop causes the connection to reset (even after taking necessary precautions from the OS) ?

Moreover, I googled and found that some of these cards have inbuilt sleep timer on inactivity (probably just of the connection and not the laptop)

Even the ISP of the same, have certain time duration after which they want you to reconnect again be there activity or not.

Next time, if possible, have an eye over the laptop - when exactly the connections get dc'ed , that could probably give the reason.

jijus

Hi sourbh, thank you once agin what i ve understood the same, thers free utility for handheld device to over come this issue but iave not found anything for a laptop as the networ provider dont want everyone leaching their network this type of connection works "just in need" like this if i leave it for some time the speed shows as 00kps and i will be signed out fom email accounts etc and when i am back again the speed picks up (up to 225kbps or more at times in need) but i neeto sign in again at places where i was signed in!!! so me to assume that its the way it works and i want t find a work around this setting! hope you nowunderstands my problem compleetly thanks once again.

mAYHEM

Journeyman
Anyone knows how to turn-off WiFi on HP DV2025,it has a switch which switches on and off both WiFi and Bluetooth.

Top Bottom