All laptop related queries here!!!

ysmonyog

Journeyman
I want to add another 8gb to existing stock 8gb RAM (2133 Mhz, cpuz screenshot attached) in Asus ZX53VW laptop. Should I get it done from Asus service centre or buy compatible RAM and install. Please suggest compatible RAM also.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201018-142837_AnyDesk.jpg
    Screenshot_20201018-142837_AnyDesk.jpg
    303.9 KB · Views: 79

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
I want to add another 8gb to existing stock 8gb RAM (2133 Mhz, cpuz screenshot attached) in Asus ZX53VW laptop. Should I get it done from Asus service centre or buy compatible RAM and install. Please suggest compatible RAM also.
Could you please take screenshot from windows instead of a mobile screen? :)
If you are comfortable in DIYing it, then go ahead and upgrade it yourself. Also, 2133 MHz is too low. Would've suggested to go with 2 new, at least 2666 Mhz sticks.

kg11sgbg

Indian Railways - The Vibrant and Moving INDIA
To everyone here...
How about the ASUS Vivobook Ultra 15 M513IA series notebook with AMD Ryzen 5 4500U processor/APU ?
Does it support upgradeability uptill 12GB RAM only?

dissel

Cyborg Agent
To everyone here...
How about the ASUS Vivobook Ultra 15 M513IA series notebook with AMD Ryzen 5 4500U processor/APU ?
Does it support upgradeability uptill 12GB RAM only?

Page No 285 and 286 - here in this thread we discuss why 12GB RAM is not good and the next page about 513IA and YT video of Bangladesh unboxing the similar product.
Also remember there are full 16GB version available of the same according to ASUS website but it may not ever come to India, In 16 GB version you don't lose dual-channel capability, unlike 4+4 = 8GB version.
I think in 16GB version there must be 8GB soldered and another 8GB stick at the slot....user may not need even upgrade.

*i.imgur.com/y2xG1Eg.png

Last edited:
Page No 285 and 286 - here in this thread we discuss why 12GB RAM is not good and the next page about 513IA and YT video of Bangladesh unboxing the similar product.
Also remember there are full 16GB version available of the same according to ASUS website but it may not ever come to India, In 16 GB version you don't lose dual-channel capability, unlike 4+4 = 8GB version.
I think in 16GB version there must be 8GB soldered and another 8GB stick at the slot....user may not need even upgrade.

*i.imgur.com/y2xG1Eg.png
For normal usage, which most people buying such a laptop will be doing, losing that 10-15% extra performance from dual channel is not something observable. Yes, it will help the iGPU noticeably, but again, these aren't meant for gaming. 8GB RAM is sufficient for normal usage & 12GB gives sufficient headroom. So IMO lack of proper 16GB dual-channel shouldn't be a deal breaker.

R5 4500U laptops at 50k are excellent choice for general usage, is very powerful & is efficient as well.

dissel

Cyborg Agent
For normal usage, which most people buying such a laptop will be doing, losing that 10-15% extra performance from dual channel is not something observable. Yes, it will help the iGPU noticeably, but again, these aren't meant for gaming. 8GB RAM is sufficient for normal usage & 12GB gives sufficient headroom. So IMO lack of proper 16GB dual-channel shouldn't be a deal breaker.

R5 4500U laptops at 50k are excellent choice for general usage, is very powerful & is efficient as well.

I'm worried about the RAM allocation of Ryzen IGPU's - Many manufacturers reseved 2GB RAM for Radeon Graphics, (Example ; HP Envy 360) so in that case, people left out only less than 6GB RAM - Not sure about 513IA though...

RumbaMon19

Feel Pain.
I'm worried about the RAM allocation of Ryzen IGPU's - Many manufacturers reseved 2GB RAM for Radeon Graphics, (Example ; HP Envy 360) so in that case, people left out only less than 6GB RAM - Not sure about 513IA though...

Higher probabily that 2GB will be reserved as they did it with its older model, One with ryzen 3500U.

kg11sgbg

Is the BIOS lockedin this laptop?
Otherwise allocation of graphics memory could be arranged according to different configurations.

I WAS NEVER A GAMER AND NEVER INTEND TO.
Here lossof dual channel functionality is not any issue for me.

What is your take on this laptop(ASUS VivoBook Ultra 15 M513IA) @whitestar_999 and @SaiyanGoku ?

RumbaMon19

Feel Pain.
Otherwise allocation of graphics memory could be arranged according to different configurations.

I WAS NEVER A GAMER AND NEVER INTEND TO.
Here lossof dual channel functionality is not any issue for me.

What is your take on this laptop(ASUS VivoBook Ultra 15 M513IA) @whitestar_999 and @SaiyanGoku ?

You cannot adjust graphical memmory. MAJOR CON WHICH I AM FACING and thinking how to fix.....

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
What is your take on this laptop(ASUS VivoBook Ultra 15 M513IA)
In my opinion if its screen is ips(not sure) or at least much better than below avg tn panel on older vivobook models & its price comes out to be around 45k then only it is worth buying else in just ended flipkart bbd sale acer aspire 7 with ryzen 3550H+GTX1650+8gb ram+512gb ssd+ips panel went for as low as 42k after 3k sbi card discount.

dissel

Cyborg Agent

If you must know the answer is a Big NO, you can't change the Graphics Ram Allocation in the BIOS, which is pre deiced by the manufacturer - It is the downside of the Ryzen not only 4000 U series but it also exists in 3000 U series too.
Many people despite knowing this ignore it and go ahead buy their desired U series machine and end up only 5.6GB Ram and soon realize their Andriod / IOS device got more or similar quantity RAM, Then they go to the manufacturer website and curse them.

I'm following this for a long time and when the 4000 series announced I was expecting the manufacturer may decide that 8GB bare minimum for 2020 and so they soldiered 8GB by default and provide an empty slot for an upgrade so the user can live with 16GB (16 - 2 = 14) for next 4-5 years but it was not the case.

If you must know the answer is a Big NO, you can't change the Graphics Ram Allocation in the BIOS, which is pre deiced by the manufacturer - It is the downside of the Ryzen not only 4000 U series but it also exists in 3000 U series too.
Many people despite knowing this ignore it and go ahead buy their desired U series machine and end up only 5.6GB Ram and soon realize their Andriod / IOS device got more or similar quantity RAM, Then they go to the manufacturer website and curse them.

I'm following this for a long time and when the 4000 series announced I was expecting the manufacturer may decide that 8GB bare minimum for 2020 and so they soldiered 8GB by default and provide an empty slot for an upgrade so the user can live with 16GB (16 - 2 = 14) for next 4-5 years but it was not the case.
I use 8GB RAM when using multiple apps & chrome with multiple tabs, so IMO 8GB is sufficient for most people, 12GB (or actual 10GB in Ryzen laptops) is actually enough for years to come. Only when I run games or other heavy apps like blender, does my RAM usage go over 10GB.

8GB soldered would have been nice for sure, but these multimedia laptops & ultrabooks charge a lot for RAM.

kg11sgbg

In my opinion if its screen is ips(not sure) or at least much better than below avg tn panel on older vivobook models & its price comes out to be around 45k then only it is worth buying else in just ended flipkart bbd sale acer aspire 7 with ryzen 3550H+GTX1650+8gb ram+512gb ssd+ips panel went for as low as 42k after 3k sbi card discount.
Actually I want an AMD Ryzen 5 4k series.
Screen MUST be 15.6inch.

Which manufacturers are giving besides ASUS below the Rs.50k segment?

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
I have bought the 14 inch model of Vivobook recently (unfortunately just before the sale).

The word I can use to describe the screen is horrible. It is matte finish which actually renders text less readable and with Windows thinking small font size and low contrast colour scheme is the in thing, you would need to buy an eagle to read the screen. I cannot recommend this model due to display alone.

I need guidance in assessing the actual RAM usage but according to a Rainmeter widget it has around 7+ GB of RAM available for Windows. I think only 512 MB is 'hard' reserved for graphics. But my knowledge is superficial in this regard. If you could advise the proper tool to measure it the correct way, I would be happy to report the resutls.

I can also check the BIOS options deeply but on a cursory glance I did not find options to change memory allotted to GPU. Ryzens are supposed to use RAM for GPU dynamically I think.

RumbaMon19

Feel Pain.
I have bought the 14 inch model of Vivobook recently (unfortunately just before the sale).

The word I can use to describe the screen is horrible. It is matte finish which actually renders text less readable and with Windows thinking small font size and low contrast colour scheme is the in thing, you would need to buy an eagle to read the screen. I cannot recommend this model due to display alone.

I need guidance in assessing the actual RAM usage but according to a Rainmeter widget it has around 7+ GB of RAM available for Windows. I think only 512 MB is 'hard' reserved for graphics. But my knowledge is superficial in this regard. If you could advise the proper tool to measure it the correct way, I would be happy to report the resutls.

I can also check the BIOS options deeply but on a cursory glance I did not find options to change memory allotted to GPU. Ryzens are supposed to use RAM for GPU dynamically I think.

Check task manager for hardware ram. Mine does not have any option in BIOS to change RAM allocation. And Yes, the display is really pathetic. Anything which can be done to improve it?

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
Hopefully playing around with colours/theme will help a bit. Being FullHD on 14" display the size of font was bound to be small.

I have set the scaling factor to 125 vs. recommended 150% and then in Accessibility increased font size.

Top Bottom