All laptop related queries here!!!

dissel

Cyborg Agent
Amazon now listed / stocked two more HP Pavilion Gaming with 4600H + 1650 Ti model + 512GB SSD

*www.amazon.in/dp/B08CYTHY92/?coliid=I1831OKHMOPC2P&colid=G57JOT09Q4B&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

256GB SSD + 1TB HDD +144 Hz Screen

*www.amazon.in/dp/B08CZ2KNS6/?coliid=IWUUCLJ6IGZMU&colid=G57JOT09Q4B&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Æsoteric Positron

I AM GROOT (and so are you)
Amazon now listed / stocked two more HP Pavilion Gaming with 4600H + 1650 Ti model + 512GB SSD

*www.amazon.in/dp/B08CYTHY92/?coliid=I1831OKHMOPC2P&colid=G57JOT09Q4B&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

256GB SSD + 1TB HDD +144 Hz Screen

*www.amazon.in/dp/B08CZ2KNS6/?coliid=IWUUCLJ6IGZMU&colid=G57JOT09Q4B&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

The lappy supplies are soo scarce now that as soon as I bought Buy HP Pavilion Gaming 15.6-inch FHD Gaming Laptop (Ryzen 5-4600H/8GB/1TB HDD + 256GB SSD/Windows 10/144Hz/NVIDIA GTX 1650 4GB/Shadow Black), 15-ec1052AX Online at Low Prices in India - Amazon.in it became unavailable, even tough this is not a popular choice(2 reviews on amazon , both not verified purchases).

dissel

Cyborg Agent
The lappy supplies are soo scarce now that as soon as I bought Buy HP Pavilion Gaming 15.6-inch FHD Gaming Laptop (Ryzen 5-4600H/8GB/1TB HDD + 256GB SSD/Windows 10/144Hz/NVIDIA GTX 1650 4GB/Shadow Black), 15-ec1052AX Online at Low Prices in India - Amazon.in it became unavailable, even tough this is not a popular choice(2 reviews on amazon , both not verified purchases).

Also look at that Ti GPU + 512GB SSD a 12k jump from the base model and Ti GPU + 256 GB SSD and 1TB HDD Combo + 144Hz Screen 16k Jump from the base model.

I think SSD +Ti version must price at 60K to 65K, WFH and SFH with Covid Combo cause huge demands & drive the price nuts.

Æsoteric Positron

I AM GROOT (and so are you)
Also look at that Ti GPU + 512GB SSD a 12k jump from the base model and Ti GPU + 256 GB SSD and 1TB HDD Combo + 144Hz Screen 16k Jump from the base model.

I think SSD +Ti version must price at 60K to 65K, WFH and SFH with Covid Combo cause huge demands & drive the price nuts.
Wow, I was in the lappy market only recently (for this laptop purchase). What would have been the price of mine configuration before pendemic?

dissel

Cyborg Agent
Flipkart Now Listed Lenovo Ideapad Gaming - 4600H + 1650 Ti + 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD at 70k

*www.flipkart.com/lenovo-ideapad-ga...n=homepage&ssid=ihhwywe504vph3b41598516249280

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
Are there any regular, affordable (non-gaming) laptop based on 4xxx series Ryzen available?
Not fancy ones but just regular home use kind.

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
Any Ryzen 4xxx series laptop be it U (fixed ram) or H version starts at 59k onwards....So answer is No.
That is interesting to know that U means fixed RAM. But is it necessarily limited to the fixed RAM only or is an additional empty slot available for future expansion?

My limited reseach shows that in general laptops have 3 possibilities currently:

1. Fixed RAM only (my current HP notebook has only 4 GB RAM which I had no idea that it cannot be expanded when bought 3 years back)
2. Fixed RAM with one empty slot. Usually very low eg. 4 GB (this means if you want dual channel, then you cannot go above 2x inbuilt RAM)
3. Two RAM slots with one occupied. (This is the best possible configuration for consumer)

dissel

Cyborg Agent
That is interesting to know that U means fixed RAM. But is it necessarily limited to the fixed RAM only or is an additional empty slot available for future expansion?

My limited reseach shows that in general laptops have 3 possibilities currently:

1. Fixed RAM only (my current HP notebook has only 4 GB RAM which I had no idea that it cannot be expanded when bought 3 years back)
2. Fixed RAM with one empty slot. Usually very low eg. 4 GB (this means if you want dual channel, then you cannot go above 2x inbuilt RAM)
3. Two RAM slots with one occupied. (This is the best possible configuration for consumer)

The new norms of 2020 laptop with U series processor be it Intel or AMD with their current generation offering

(A) U Processor = Fixed RAM = Dual Channel Configuration in most cases, Gone are days with Two RAM slots with One occupied.
(B) It is best for consumer if we get 4000U series processor with 8GB fixed and one slot remain empty, but laptop manufacture decided not to give that unless you like to spend more and opt for H or HS series processor.
(C) Right now All laptop manufacturer dumping 8GB U series processor in India as the cost cutting measure.
(D) IMHO they got the idea if Apple Macbook line up comes with 8GB Fixed RAM as base and Consumer of India paying the premium of buying those why not us ? Because the Macbook are Appliances which maintained by the Apple with closed eco system and there file system completely different. These are Normal Computer for Normal People.

Anyhow anyone wants a 4000 U Series machine with 16GB RAM (which is minimum for future proofing), they need to wait.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member

U means power saving version which in turn means these processors cannot run under heavy load for extended duration without thermal throttling(aka slowing down to reduce temps & power consumption).

2. No need to look for dual channel ram unless you are planning on gaming using ryzen integrated graphics because even without dual channel ryzen graphics is still must faster than intel integrated graphics.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
The new norms of 2020 laptop with U series processor be it Intel or AMD with their current generation offering

(A) U Processor = Fixed RAM = Dual Channel Configuration in most cases, Gone are days with Two RAM slots with One occupied.
(B) It is best for consumer if we get 4000U series processor with 8GB fixed and one slot remain empty, but laptop manufacture decided not to give that unless you like to spend more and opt for H or HS series processor.
(C) Right now All laptop manufacturer dumping 8GB U series processor in India as the cost cutting measure.
(D) IMHO they got the idea if Apple Macbook line up comes with 8GB Fixed RAM as base and Consumer of India paying the premium of buying those why not us ? Because the Macbook are Appliances which maintained by the Apple with closed eco system and there file system completely different. These are Normal Computer for Normal People.

Anyhow anyone wants a 4000 U Series machine with 16GB RAM (which is minimum for future proofing), they need to wait.
A. The likely reason for this is price increase of dram chips which resulted in ssd & ram prices increasing. Once the prices go back to their original levels this trend should also reverse.

B. Even more important reason than this is the presence of IPS screen in all H/HS series processors even in their lowest end models compared to U version counterparts where IPS screen is rare. For reference, HP 60k laptop with ryzen 3700u still comes without ips screen. :facepalm:

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
U means power saving version which in turn means these processors cannot run under heavy load for extended duration without thermal throttling(aka slowing down to reduce temps & power consumption).

2. No need to look for dual channel ram unless you are planning on gaming using ryzen integrated graphics because even without dual channel ryzen graphics is still must faster than intel integrated graphics.
Somehow for me laptop and gaming do not go together. Forget that, even for regular office work or almost anything that involves a bit of work, I prefer the comfort of my desktop. Laptop ends up being only for travel and emergencies.

I am hoping some competition in the coming days among manufacturers will lead to reasonable pricing.

dissel

Cyborg Agent
ASUS VivoBook Flip 14 TM420IA (First Ryzen 4000 U Series ultrabook with additional RAM slot offering in India)

4500U + 512 GB SSD + Onboard Vega 6 Graphics + 8GB Dual Channel RAM with 1 Upgrade Slot upto 12GB

*www.amazon.in/dp/B08CL1GN8Y/?coliid=I37YTUNVMQFVAB&colid=G57JOT09Q4B&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

4700U + 512 GB SSD + Onboard Vega 7 Graphics + 8GB Dual Channel RAM with 1 Upgrade Slot upto 12GB

*www.amazon.in/dp/B08CKZZY9R/?coliid=I2SZATMR0LNA7W&colid=G57JOT09Q4B&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

As per my guess 4GB RAM Integrated to the Motherboard and the 4GB Stick Installed to the slot as previous gen models did, below dual core model only comes with Integrated 4GB and Full Empty slot.

And.....

4300U + 256GB SSD + Onboard Vega 5 Graphics + 4GB RAM with 1 Upgrade Slot upto 12GB

*www.amazon.in/dp/B08CL1GN91/?coliid=IQU104FDIYPQL&colid=G57JOT09Q4B&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Last edited:

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
Are the screens IPS? Battery capacity seems to have gone up from 3500 series.

MicroSD slot is a bummer but I can probably live with it. Happy that they give 3 USB slots in 14 inch screen bodies compare to some others giving only 2.

Pricing is of course too high at the moment.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Are the screens IPS? Battery capacity seems to have gone up from 3500 series.

MicroSD slot is a bummer but I can probably live with it. Happy that they give 3 USB slots in 14 inch screen bodies compare to some others giving only 2.

Pricing is of course too high at the moment.
*www.asus.com/2-in-1-PCs/ASUS-VivoBook-Flip-14-TM420IA/Tech-Specs/

1598727159328.png

*www.notebookcheck.net/Asus-VivoBoo...e-Review-Core-i7-Need-Not-Apply.488016.0.html

Last edited:
Top Bottom