All laptop related queries here!!!

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Why is it that we should put the SSD in place of HDD and then put the HDD in place of DVD Drive with caddy, cant we place the SSD directly in DVD slot with caddy?
This is applicable for older laptops(3rd gen or earlier) that came with sata 1 port on dvd drive,any recent laptop has sata 3 port on both hdd & dvd drive so no issue.In fact I suggest to leave hdd in its original slot & replace dvd drive with ssd caddy as hdd slot is properly secured & ventilated as it is meant for hdd compared to dvd slot. Ssd doesn't need much secure fixing & ventilation so it will be fine in a dvd drive slot but same cannot be said for hdd.

rajchakra

Broken In
This is applicable for older laptops(3rd gen or earlier) that came with sata 1 port on dvd drive,any recent laptop has sata 3 port on both hdd & dvd drive so no issue.In fact I suggest to leave hdd in its original slot & replace dvd drive with ssd caddy as hdd slot is properly secured & ventilated as it is meant for hdd compared to dvd slot. Ssd doesn't need much secure fixing & ventilation so it will be fine in a dvd drive slot but same cannot be said for hdd.
Ok..So I can just remove the dvd drive and put a SSD there with a caddy. Thanks.

Last edited:

rajchakra

Broken In
Screenshot_2019-12-24-15-34-13-740_com.whatsapp.jpg
Screenshot_2019-12-24-15-35-14-454_com.whatsapp.jpg
Screenshot_2019-12-24-15-35-57-446_com.whatsapp.jpg
IMO, the max capacity supported should be same as max capacity 2.5" sata ssd available currently. ULV processors aren't made to handle intensive tasks which'll require that much ssd storage. Also, remove the dvd drive for extra sata slot.
As for ram, if the stock 4GB module isn't soldered and you have another free, get same 2 modules of 8GB ram 2400 MHz or the highest supported frequency by your processor. If it is soldered, get a 8 GB / 16GB module instead (as your budget allows). You can check your current information using CPU-z and then match the details while ordering.
Ok...But I am still not sure about the maximum size. The customer care technician of Dell informed (through whatsapp chat) that it should be 256GB maximum.
The RAM is not soldered most probably. I have watched youtube videos of the dell model and the crucial checker also suggested that. So, if it's not soldered, why should I go for 2x8GB ? Is it for more capacity or for better compatibility?
And what details should I check if I order for another 8GB to be used along with the existing 4GB?

Last edited by a moderator:

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Ok...But I am still not sure about the maximum size. The customer care technician of Dell informed (through whatsapp chat) that it should be 256GB maximum.
The RAM is not soldered most probably. I have watched youtube videos of the dell model and the crucial checker also suggested that. So, if it's not soldered, why should I go for 2x8GB ? Is it for more capacity or for better compatibility?
And what details should I check if I order for another 8GB to be used along with the existing 4GB?
They are supposed to read the details provided to them and then tell it to users. Prevents them from any liability. As it is a standard 2.5" sata slot, every 2.5" sata drive (be it HDD or SSD) of any capacity should work, unless the drive is too thick to fit in the slot. This shouldn't be an issue for ssd.
Before ordering anything, it would be better to check if it is really not soldered. You would need to open the laptop. I won't recommend using two different ram modules, let alone two of different capacity, because of performance issues.
It maybe my perception but 12GB ram sounds weird.
I hope you'll be doing a clean install instead of migrating the OS from HDD.

They are supposed to read the details provided to them and then tell it to users. Prevents them from any liability. As it is a standard 2.5" sata slot, every 2.5" sata drive (be it HDD or SSD) of any capacity should work, unless the drive is too thick to fit in the slot. This shouldn't be an issue for ssd.
Before ordering anything, it would be better to check if it is really not soldered. You would need to open the laptop. I won't recommend using two different ram modules, let alone two of different capacity, because of performance issues.
It maybe my perception but 12GB ram sounds weird.
I hope you'll be doing a clean install instead of migrating the OS from HDD.
I agree, any size of 2.5" SSD will work.

12GB or 6GB is fine for normal users, not true dual channel, but the extra RAM capacity is worth it. In general 8GB is sufficient for normal users though.

For ease, I prefer cloning OS then resetting OS, rather than going through clean install due to changes required in BIOS to boot, making a bootable USB, etc.

BhargavJ

In the zone
Hello there. Some time back, I had asked about my damaged laptop screen:

My Dell laptop screen has developed some problems. Earlier, there were vertical lines and some colour smudging but they would go away if I pressed on the left or right side, or the bottom of the screen. Now, the problem persists, so that I have had to put an eraser as packing at the screen bottom, at the center, so that it always in "pressed" position. If I remove the eraser, this is what the screen shows:

Imgur

The first image is of Foxit Reader without the screen being pressed, the second with the screen being pressed (much better, but not perfect), and the third is of a right-click (again, without pressing).

Is there any way you can diagnose where the problem lies, and whether the entire screen will have to be replaced, or some small repair work can fix the problem?

I went to a local shop; the guy there said the screen replacement will cost Rs. 3500. I asked him the name of the company (of the replacement screen) but I've forgotten what he said. It would have three months warranty. This is my screen:

*i.imgur.com/d04rOnI.jpg

Model No. B156XW04, made by AU Optronics.

I searched on the net, and found that this screen is available on Amazon, but it costs Rs. 10K. I can replace the screen on my own; it seems simple enough - just remove the screens and then disconnect / reconnect the cable and then put back the screws. But the cost of the original make is too much, and I don't know whether the 3500/- screen will be of the same quality as the current one. There's another site selling it for Rs. 4.5K, but I don't know how reliable that site is:

Buy AU Optronics B156XW04 V.5 Laptop Screen Online In India at Low Prices, Specifications, Features, Reviews, Replacement Laptop Screen

The "Specifications" section says the screen has a 1 year warranty.

What should I do - ask the local shop to replace it for Rs 3.5K (from an unknown company), or get the 4.5K screen from the above site (of which I know nothing)?

Another thing: Newer laptops have an FHD screen (1920*1080), while mine is 1366 x 768. Is it possible to install an FHD screen on my laptop? The above site does have AU Optronics FHD screen for 6K:

Buy AU Optronics B156HW03 V.0 15.6" FHD Laptop Screen (1920 x 1080) Online In India

My laptop (Dell Inspiron 3537 - i5 4200U - 8 GB RAM - bought in 2015) has Intel HD Graphics 4400 and AMD Radeon HD 8670M dedicated graphics card.

Edit: I did some digging around on my own, and found that to install an FHD screen, the LVDS cable that connects to the screen should be dual channel. I don't know if mine is single or dual channel and I couldn't find an answer anywhere. If others still want to answer the FHD replacement screen question, you can go ahead, but I'm not really keen on buying an FHD screen now, since while installing it, if I find that my LVDS cable doesn't have dual channel, and then, if I can't find an LVDS cable replacement, I would be stuck with a 6K screen.

Last edited:

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Pretty good for gamers.
But I intend to have one with touchscreen + active stylus pen facility.
Then you should go with Microsoft Surface series laptops but these are really bad products regarding price to performance ratio.
You cannot upgrade memory as it will be soldered.

Sent from my Nokia 8.1 using Tapatalk

sohan_92

In the zone
Hey Guys !

Happy New Year !

I was wondering if someone can tell me what is the acceptable temperature for a gaming laptop. I am having Predator Helios 300 G3-572 (2017) model. While playing Doom (2016) with ultra settings, my Avg CPU temp is 85 + and avg. GPU temperature is 79+. Idle state temperature is 38-42. CPU is undervolted with .100 offset. The internal components were never cleaned and thermal re-paste has never applied. And while playing game fans are super fast and noisy with 5000+ RPM. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Last edited:

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Hey Guys !

Happy New Year !

I was wondering if someone can tell me what is the acceptable temperature for a gaming laptop. I am having Predator Helios 300 G3-572 (2017) model. While playing Doom (2016), my Avg CPU temp is 85 + and avg. GPU temperature is 79+. Idle state temperature is 38-42. CPU is undervolted with .100 offset. The internal components were never cleaned and thermal re-paste has never applied. And while playing game fans are super fast and noisy with 5000+ RPM. Any suggestions are appreciated.
Optimal CPU & GPU Temperature [PC & Laptops]

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
The internal components were never cleaned and thermal re-paste has never applied. And while playing game fans are super fast and noisy with 5000+ RPM. Any suggestions are appreciated.
Do a cleanup and replace the thermal compound with MasterGel Maker Nano, Noctua NT-H1 or Kryonaut (this only if heatsink has 4 mounting screws)

sohan_92

In the zone
Optimal CPU & GPU Temperature [PC & Laptops]

So basically I am having Overheat issue?

Do a cleanup and replace the thermal compound with MasterGel Maker Nano, Noctua NT-H1 or Kryonaut (this only if heatsink has 4 mounting screws)

Sure, will do. Regarding Thermal Paste, any particular reason why Kryonaut is good for heatsink with 4 mounting screw?

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah

Sure, will do. Regarding Thermal Paste, any particular reason why Kryonaut is good for heatsink with 4 mounting screw?
It's not about 4 mounting screws it's about thermal conductivity. This paste has the best thermal conductivity among thermal pastes out there.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Nope, those full load readings are on par with every other Helios 300 G3-572
It is not recommended for over 80 °C and has a tendency to pump out because it isn't thick enough.
It's not about 4 mounting screws it's about thermal conductivity. This paste has the best thermal conductivity among thermal pastes out there.
It is about 4 mounting screws. Kryonaut is best non-metallic thermal compound for desktops and as a replacement in delidded intel CPUs but not good when mounting pressure is uneven (like in laptops).

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah

It is not recommended for over 80 °C and has a tendency to pump out because it isn't thick enough.

It is about 4 mounting screws. Kryonaut is best non-metallic thermal compound for desktops and as a replacement in delidded intel CPUs but not good when mounting pressure is uneven (like in laptops).
But OP can use thermal pads along with thermal paste to stabilise the unevenity of the heatsink.
What's more important is maintaining the thermal conductivity at optimal temps or rather minimum temps.

sohan_92

In the zone
But OP can use thermal pads along with thermal paste to stabilise the unevenity of the heatsink.
What's more important is maintaining the thermal conductivity at optimal temps or rather minimum temps.

Thanks. But iirc, there are lots of thermal pads with different size and thickness needs to be applied. Please check below video link. It is a similar model from 2017.

Not sure, if a layman like me can able to do that.

So which one is good? And also please do post online buying links.

Top Bottom