All laptop related queries here!!!

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
"Video Controller=Unknown video card"
I think your laptop graphics card is gone.

@Flash bios info is independent of any driver install.If the bios itself is unable to report a particular hardware component then most likely it is a hardware fault.
I don't think that's for nVidia GPU. See the reported vram. If it went kaput, it won't show up at all much less show vram amount.
I think its reporting the iGPU but not detecting it correctly.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't think that's for nVidia GPU. See the reported vram. If it went kaput, it won't show up at all much less show vram amount.
I think its reporting the iGPU but not detecting it correctly.
I checked my own laptop bios with nvidia card & couldn't find any mention of it but then compared to screenshot of bios settings posted by @theterminator my bios doesn't even have 10% of those settings or info.Maybe somebody with a dell laptop with graphics card can confirm if dell bios shows graphics card info when everything is running fine.

Gauravs90

geek........
My friends own Dell, Viao, HP laptops and none of them allow to choose graphics in BIOS. Even I own High End MSI laptop and it dosen't allow me to choose. As laptops route Video through IGP only even with dedicated GPU's.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not talking about choosing graphics in BIOS,I am interested in knowing whether dell laptop(or any laptop) bios reports the name of installed graphics card.

kg11sgbg

Indian Railways - The Vibrant and Moving INDIA
Not talking about choosing graphics in BIOS,I am interested in knowing whether dell laptop(or any laptop) bios reports the name of installed graphics card.
A very important and good point raised by our Friend.
In my case of DELL Inspiron 14 5447 laptop, it's a big NO.
I had checked all the parameters within the BIOS,but no such report about installed GPU.

BhargavJ

In the zone
Same with mine: Dell Inspiron 15 3537. Doesn't have any settings for choosing the GPU; doesn't have the name of the card either. As with Whitestar, my laptop also has hardly 10% of settings that are shown in the previous picture.

Last edited:

theterminator

Wise Old Owl
i think the gpu is dead & this il leave it dead. atleast the laptop is functional with intel graphics. the previous one was non operational once the gpu was dead & I paid ₹21,000/- to replace gpu, Lcd , dvd writer & 1 year complete cover. This time im not shelling that much money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

true_lies

Ambassador of Buzz
I am getting weird green and pink artifacts when playing videos on any browser, see images attached. YouTube on Chrome and Opera works fine but not on Firefox. Other websites when viewing videos give me those artifacts on all browsers. Doesn't seem to be a hardware issue coz i can play some old games fine.
Laptop in question (8 GB RAM + 250 SSD on Windows 10). Happening only on my laptop, not on Desktop (Windows 7).
1.jpg 2.jpg

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Many browsers by default use graphics card acceleration for online videos which may cause issues like above when there is some conflict between browser & graphics driver.You can try disabling graphics card acceleration in browsers(use google) & use cpu processing only for online videos.

true_lies

Ambassador of Buzz
Many browsers by default use graphics card acceleration for online videos which may cause issues like above when there is some conflict between browser & graphics driver.You can try disabling graphics card acceleration in browsers(use google) & use cpu processing only for online videos.
Disabled hardware acceleration and it's all good now. But it only started happening for last 2-3 days, never before. Why now? Didn't change any settings before, always kept at default.

Sent from my MotoG3-TE using Tapatalk

sohan_92

In the zone
Disabled hardware acceleration and it's all good now. But it only started happening for last 2-3 days, never before. Why now? Didn't change any settings before, always kept at default.

Are you getting this problem only for Firefox or for other browsers too?

true_lies

Ambassador of Buzz
Are you getting this problem only for Firefox or for other browsers too?
Checked in 3: Chrome, Firefox(64bit) and Opera had this problem. YouTube videos were playing fine on Chrome and Opera, not on Firefox.
Most other websites had this problem playing videos on all browsers.

sohan_92

In the zone
Checked in 3: Chrome, Firefox(64bit) and Opera had this problem. YouTube videos were playing fine on Chrome and Opera, not on Firefox.
Most other websites had this problem playing videos on all browsers.

Just re-check with updated version of browser and graphics driver. If issue still persists, follow @whitestar_999 suggestion. Be advised, if you are using no hw acceleration and watching HD contents with heavy background task, you may get lag in video, resulting choppy display.

true_lies

Ambassador of Buzz
Not sure if this is related but a week back i un-installed and re-installed the driver of the integrated webcam on the laptop. Was getting choppy frame-rate on video calls and also while recording (Win10 Camera app).
After re-installing drivers, the Camera app stopped detecting the webcam but Skype was able to detect webcam and video calls were fine.
I can't recall if the browser video playing problem started after this or was present before.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Win 10 automatically update all drivers by default,you may not have noticed it.Check your graphics card driver program folder & subfolder/files to see what is the latest create/modification date.Also I am not sure but now-a-days laptops don't usually have separate drivers for webcam(my 1.3 years old laptop doesn't).

sohan_92

In the zone
@true_lies I can't see any windows 10 official driver for your laptop model. Are you sure the model you provided is correct one? And was windows 10 pre-installed or you upgraded ?

true_lies

Ambassador of Buzz
@true_lies I can't see any windows 10 official driver for your laptop model. Are you sure the model you provided is correct one? And was windows 10 pre-installed or you upgraded ?
Yeah I upgraded to Win10. Drivers up to Win7 only are there for this model.

Top Bottom