All laptop related queries here!!!

aniketdawn.89

Wise Old Owl
Have you considered Alienware?
Dell arguably has the best service in India and since you have a high budget etc,alienware makes sense
also it supports desktop class graphic cards thanks to alienware graphics amplifier
i believe MSI also has something similiar but MSI's variant is rather large(bigger than a printer) and clumsy to operate
I suggested the alienware because of ASS and style statement etc but even MSI is great especially the dual fan one
the only issue with gaming laptops is cooling so whichever one you buy pls check forums for temps etc
i myself am considering getting an alienware 13 soon for college because my current gaming laptops and desktop are too large to be carried to college everyday and my configs are over 2 years old now
Well you should know that m13x is not available in India let alone the new graphics amplifiers. In fact the lower end alienwares in India still sell with the prehistoric 765m when it is the time of the 900m titans...

aniketdawn.89

Wise Old Owl
Go for Error 500 Server Error

Then you can upgrade yourself by adding another 8 GB RAM stick, one or two mSATA SSDs, IC Diamond if you want for better cooling and a Intel 7260 Wifi card.
Yes I was thinking of getting the apache pro as well. Just a few questions about it.

How is the stock wlan card? Intel 3160 Wilkins peak 2. Really that bad that I need to replace it?

Adding the new ram stick or putting on ic diamond by myself will void warranty right?

How much will the ssds come for and again if I put them in myself will it void warranty?

Thanks.

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
Yes I was thinking of getting the apache pro as well. Just a few questions about it.

How is the stock wlan card? Intel 3160 Wilkins peak 2. Really that bad that I need to replace it?

Adding the new ram stick or putting on ic diamond by myself will void warranty right?

How much will the ssds come for and again if I put them in myself will it void warranty?

Thanks.

As long as you're not breaking any seals, you are not voiding warranty.
IDK where seals are. Like in Y500, I could change RAM,SSD and Wifi card w/o voiding warranty.
Applying IC Diamond will void warranty btw.

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
Well you should know that m13x is not available in India let alone the new graphics amplifiers. In fact the lower end alienwares in India still sell with the prehistoric 765m when it is the time of the 900m titans...

its alienware 13 not m13x(m14x was previous gen)
alienware 14 is available locally in Mumbai-lamington road and alfa
also in laptops a very high gpu etc isnt really a big difference unless it has enough cooling etc
ive noticed most of the higher end laptops from MSI,alienware,Lenovo etc usually heat up alot if you buy the highest configs and thottle badly if run on battery power
just thought ill let you know
but if you want a vfm package the MSI is certainly the king here and followed by the Y510p/Y50
MSI laptops have the best configs for the price and the keyboards etc are made by steelseries so quality is top notch

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks.

I dont think adding an SSD or RAM sticks will void warranty
not sure about changing wlan card though
putting ic diamond will void warranty for sure on most laptops but MSI might be different
i suggest you try out the lappie as stock itself ie factory stuff and make changes if you need later on(except ram and ssd,those can be changed when its new without any issues)

Last edited:

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
its alienware 13 not m13x(m14x was previous gen)
alienware 13 is available locally in Mumbai-lamington road and alfa
also in laptops a very high gpu etc isnt really a big difference unless it has enough cooling etc
ive noticed most of the higher end laptops from MSI,alienware,Lenovo etc usually heat up alot if you buy the highest configs and thottle badly if run on battery power
just thought ill let you know
but if you want a vfm package the MSI is certainly the king here and followed by the Y510p/Y50
MSI laptops have the best configs for the price and the keyboards etc are made by steelseries so quality is top notch

What the hell!
Alienware 13 has barely been shipped in the US. How the hell did lamington road get them? It will take another 2-3 months what with all the BIS BS.

Mobile GPUs don't throttle until they reach 95 degrees which only happens when TIM has dried up.

No battery can provide enough power for CPU+GPU to run at full power. You need a UPS battery for that.

- - - Updated - - -

Update:US shipping date for the Alienware 13 is 17 December. Lamington road people have made you a chut**ya :lol:

aniketdawn.89

Wise Old Owl
[MENTION=184724]kkn13[/MENTION]
Am pretty sure I read on nvidia website that alienware 13 is yet to be distributed widely in the us along with the new graphics amps. So are the ones available on lamington road legit? Plus the alienware 13 models come equipped with ulv processors if I am not wrong. That's sacrificing compute power so IMO you can't make that your main system. Its serves more like on the go gaming.
[MENTION=248727]seamon[/MENTION]
Thanks for your reply though you didn't say why i should change the wlan card on the ge60. Stock one no good?

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
What the hell!
Alienware 13 has barely been shipped in the US. How the hell did lamington road get them? It will take another 2-3 months what with all the BIS BS.

Mobile GPUs don't throttle until they reach 95 degrees which only happens when TIM has dried up.

No battery can provide enough power for CPU+GPU to run at full power. You need a UPS battery for that.

- - - Updated - - -

Update:US shipping date for the Alienware 13 is 17 December. Lamington road people have made you a chut**ya :lol:

my bad sorry i typed alienware 13 instead of alienware 14 x_x
alienware 14 is available locally not alienware 13
btw you are wrong about batteries not providing enough power ,alot of laptops can run at full cpu+gpu power (i5 3210m+nvidia gt750m) (i7 3612qm + 7750m) etc depends on config and laptop brand
btw whats TIM?

Last edited:

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
Thanks for your reply though you didn't say why i should change the wlan card on the ge60. Stock one no good?

Depends where you are going to use that. If your workplace supports dual band technology(with 500mbps+ speed) then it is highly recommended that you get Intel AC 7260. If it's at home with BSNL BB then everything is good.

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
[MENTION=184724]kkn13[/MENTION]
Am pretty sure I read on nvidia website that alienware 13 is yet to be distributed widely in the us along with the new graphics amps. So are the ones available on lamington road legit? Plus the alienware 13 models come equipped with ulv processors if I am not wrong. That's sacrificing compute power so IMO you can't make that your main system. Its serves more like on the go gaming.
[MENTION=248727]seamon[/MENTION]

sorry about that my bad i typed alienware 13 instead of 14
i just gave alienware 13 as an example and said it was available locally instead of typing alienware 14

Night-Rider

Journeyman
1) What is your budget?

80k to 120k INR (the lower the better :p).

2) What size & weight consideration (if any) would you prefer?

14” and above; preferably less than 6lb. (Will settle for heavier if it is worth it though).

3) What are the primary tasks you will be performing with this notebook?*

Hardcore gaming (latest AAA titles), some game modding, 3D modeling, programming.

5) Any typical configuration in your mind you're eying for ?

I7 (non-ulv) with a minimum of gtx 850m ddr5 (preferably Maxwell gtx 860m).

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?

This will be my first laptop so can’t really say. Anything that has good build quality and will last me 3 years at least.

6) Anything else you would like to say?

I have used a 768p screen so far. So anything same or above is good.
Battery backup normal would suffice i.e 3-4hrs
Will buy online or retail (hyderabad) but from India

I have been following the various threads about laptop buying posted on TDF and still haven’t been able
to decide. Though I have shortlisted the following with their pros and cons.

1) Lenovo y50 4gb 860m (77k inr)

Error 500 Server Error

Cheapest among my short listed items but with cheap components. I was primarily gearing to get this one. But the screen and WLAN card quality left me thinking and hence I decided to raise my budget. The only pro for this is an 860m at just 77k inr.

2) Asus g551jk 2gb 850m (80k inr)

Error 500 Server Error

Seems like a good choice with better screen and hardware but has only an 850m. Comes with a blu-ray drive.

3) MSI ge60 2pf 2gb 860m (102k inr)

Error 500 Server Error

Comparable to the y50 in all aspects except that it is 20k costlier. But it has a better screen, faster hard disk, better WLAN card, better speakers, better keyboard. This seems like a great buy to me as the extra 20k is compensated by quality components.

4) MSI gs60 2pc ghost 2gb 860m (118k inr)

Error 500 Server Error

I am currently drawn to this model just because of its awesome looks and sleek design. Is very portable and has capable hardware. Dual fan cooling keeps the temps really low compared to the above laptops and hence may increase the laptop life.

I am aware of the great customizable laptops available at xoticpc which are VFM compared to any laptops from India. But my friends living in the US are not coming to India anytime soon and I need this laptop end of December 2014, early January 2015. I also require warranty and local service considering that this will be my first laptop and I want to purchase something that won’t give up on me within 3 years. I also would like to avoid the hassle of importing.

Kindly don’t suggest desktops. I know a desktop is the best VFM but I am a working professional living away from my hometown. I require portability and hence I sadly have to settle for a laptop.

Please provide your suggestions. Thank you.

It is a no brainer to buy the most expensive laptop in your budget ( MSI gs60 2pc ghost 2gb 860m) as it would give best performance. If you had a budget of around 80k, I can recommend ASUS G551JK as I have been using it for a few days and it seems to be VFM. PM me in case you have any questions

aniketdawn.89

Wise Old Owl
Depends where you are going to use that. If your workplace supports dual band technology(with 500mbps+ speed) then it is highly recommended that you get Intel AC 7260. If it's at home with BSNL BB then everything is good.
For the time being its gonna be for a 15mbps beam telecom connection. My office is in a restricted environment- won't allow my personal lappy inside. So the system is only gonna be for my personal use

aniketdawn.89

Wise Old Owl
It is a no brainer to buy the most expensive laptop in your budget ( MSI gs60 2pc ghost 2gb 860m) as it would give best performance. If you had a budget of around 80k, I can recommend ASUS G551JK as I have been using it for a few days and it seems to be VFM. PM me in case you have any questions
There is a reason why I mentioned "the lower the better" beside my budget. Just coz I have a higher end budget of 120k inr dsnt mean I will spend that much unless its really worth it. I have been saving this money for a year now. And hence I have such a wide budget range. So if something comes cheaper but better I will get that. Though I also don't want to completely compromise on quality like the y50. The problem with g551jk is the 850m. Will it run wild hunt on medium at least? Am still gonna ping you with some questions about the asus model though

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
There is a reason why I mentioned "the lower the better" beside my budget. Just coz I have a higher end budget of 120k inr dsnt mean I will spend that much unless its really worth it. I have been saving this money for a year now. And hence I have such a wide budget range. So if something comes cheaper but better I will get that. Though I also don't want to completely compromise on quality like the y50. The problem with g551jk is the 850m. Will it run wild hunt on medium at least? Am still gonna ping you with some questions about the asus model though

the Y50 isnt a compromise on quality at all
its very much worth the price etc
the problem with these laptops is mainly cooling,so even if you can run games on ultra,it depends more on the laptops cooling
Lenovo has decent cooling atleast with the Y50,Y510p

Night-Rider

Journeyman

I am not sure. However if you want to see the performance of GTX850M please refer this:
*www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-850M.107795.0.html

I had a similar reason moving away from the Y50. I really don't want to worry about the screen quality if I am spending 80K on a laptop. Moreover, the accessories given with the ASUS laptop are really great. Moreover, I think Wild Hunt should run at med at HD if not FHD. Shouldn't really be an issue.

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
the problem with these laptops is mainly cooling,so even if you can run games on ultra,it depends more on the laptops cooling

Maxwell cards won't heat up as much as you think. 860m stays pretty cool.

- - - Updated - - -

It'll run wild hunt @med sure.

- - - Updated - - -

Moreover, if you're up for it, GTX 850m can be overclocked to GTX 860m level.

aniketdawn.89

Wise Old Owl
Accepted the y50 is the cheapest laptop with an 860m. But to keep the price there, lenovo sure made a compromise in several places. Including a bad screen, bad wlan card, 5400rpm HD which is slow, and removed the dvd . Sure y50 has good external looks but when ppl start talking about replacing a laptop's parts (screen in this case) right after its purchase, that itself screams compromise right?

Night-Rider

Journeyman
Also, I don't really see a huge difference in performance between a 850m and 860m as per

GeForce GTX 860M | Performance | GeForce
GeForce GTX 850M | Performance | GeForce

So it all depends on you if you can spend 40k more or not.

aniketdawn.89

Wise Old Owl
Also, I don't really see a huge difference in performance between a 850m and 860m as per

GeForce GTX 860M | Performance | GeForce
GeForce GTX 850M | Performance | GeForce

So it all depends on you if you can spend 40k more or not.
Hmmm... Certainly a very good point to ponder over. How is Asus' ASS btw? (No pun intended )

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
[MENTION=248727]seamon[/MENTION] considering that the 850m is of Kepler make can the g551 jk dissipate the extra heat?

850m is Maxwell.

- - - Updated - - -

Why the hell is the wifi card in MSI/Y50 even a problem when all you are going to run is 15 mbps. Intel AC 7260 is strictly for 100mbps upwards.

- - - Updated - - -

Most modems don't even support dual band to utilize the AC 7260.

- - - Updated - - -

Hmmm... Certainly a very good point to ponder over. How is Asus' ASS btw? (No pun intended )

Trash but that can be said for MSI too. These are new companies. That said, if you are careful, laptops don't need much servicing. They are good for 2-3 years.

Top Bottom