All laptop related queries here!!!

a2mn2002

keen to learn..
Friends kuch samaj mei nahi a raha.
I just want a good laptop under 40k for general computing and only for these games :
1. Mafia 2 [My dream i could play it under 40k]
2. Manhunt 2
3. Sniper Elite 2 and likewise games.
Which one should i go for ?
For AMD cpus :nanananana:

tkin

Back to school!!
Friends kuch samaj mei nahi a raha.
I just want a good laptop under 40k for general computing and only for these games :
1. Mafia 2 [My dream i could play it under 40k]
2. Manhunt 2
3. Sniper Elite 2 and likewise games.
Which one should i go for ?
For AMD cpus :nanananana:
Anything with a Intel Core i3/i5 xxxxM /AMD A10 CPU, HD7670m/GT630M or equivalent GPU will do(check Notebook / Laptop Reviews and News - NotebookCheck.net for GPU comparison), better you ask a question like this: *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/laptops-netbooks/156722-questionnaire-laptop-notebook-purchase.html

Open a new thread and follow the guide posted above to ask a question, sample thread: *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/laptops-netbooks/181467-midrange-laptop-parents-day-day-use.html

ithehappy

Human Spambot
Guys I need a software with which I will be able to change power profiles with one click. I mean changing from High performance to power saving mode and others with one click.
Thanks.

arijitsinha

﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿ O'RLY?
Wrong section. And dont we have to click twice to change power profile? Can you tell us how you change your profile now?

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
I thought I could ask anything about laptop here!
Anyway, I change it via Lenovo Power Manager app atm.

What you are asking is actually a software related question, it's not specific to any laptop.

This is specially for hardware and configuration related queries. You can ask in Software QnA Section.

rajat565

Right off the assembly line
Hello Friends

I have a samsung np355 with AMD A8 and 7670G.
I updated to windows 8.1 and now I am looking for graphics driver
on amd website it asks me whether I need APU Graphics driver or Notebook Graphics driver and then leads me to driver verification tool download link . Do I need to install both separately or both leads to same package only? Anyways I tried both but they don't work(shows a message -incompatible hardware). The auto detection tool also doesn't work.

Kinldy someone provide the link for directly download the latest drivers for AMD A8+7670G on win 8.1 64bit .
Should I use the drivers provided for in the second post of below thread
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/laptops-n...5-g6-powered-amd-trinity-kabini-richland.html

Also I was not aware of the fact that if there are separate drivers for USB 3.0 chipset.IF so please provide the link for the same as the link provided in the above thread is leading to that AMD page where I am again clueless

thanks

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Try 14.2 catalyst beat driver and if your laptop's motherboard is using some sort of special usb 3.0 chip only then you may need to install driver but then again it's no so common.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
look for a little lesser screen size and models without DVd drive if you are Ok with it. BTW, Do you need lots of processing power ? Can you live with an i3 or 3rd gen i5 ?

subhasmalik

Right off the assembly line
Re: Fix laptop overheating problems with a little DIY spirit!

I am a software developer of Microsoft technologies I want to purchase a laptop of software development purpose for daily uses.
Please help me with you valuable suggestion/feedback to find out best match of my requirement with latest release product with lowest price,
Configuration requirement:
RAM 4 GB or higher.
Cache memory: 3 Mb or higher (4 Mb preferable)
HDD: 320 GB or higher
Graphics: not an issue.
Processor: for Intel i3 or higher, for AMD A4 or higher (prefer AMD A8, A10 and Intel i3(4th gen) and i5 4th gen or i7)
Screen Size: not an issue (15.6" preferable)
Brand: not an issue (prefer Dell, Samsung, Sony)
Warranty: minimum 1 year or higher.
Wi-Fi: IEEE Standard 802.11b/g/n.
Bluetooth : not an issue.
DVD writer: not an issue.
Additional desirable requirement: fingerprint scanner, Web cam, 2 or more USB port, Clock Speed 2 GHz or higher with Turbo Boost, battery backup minimum 2 hr or higher.

Thanks and regards
Subhas Malik.
~snip~

Last edited by a moderator:

Gaurav139

Broken In
1) the i7 will definitely consume more battery and generate more heat.
2)Z510 wins the gaming category better processor, more ram and with 740m can definitely run games on med to high settings.
4) yes you will need more than 4gb ram as it will also help for better multitasking and gaming.
5 and 7) i think you can limit the i7 to 2 cores and still it will be faster than the i5 and generate less heat and will be able to run games while on battery.
6) both will have almost identical battery life about 3-4 hours according to notebookcheck.com for basic tasks. The z510 even has optimus tech which uses the intel hd graphic cards for basic tasks and thus improve battery life.
personally i think z510 will be the better overall choice as it has at least 2 times faster processor, more ram, better looks(my opinion) and more future proof.

tssvinay

New to this forum
Hi Guys ! I'm having a tough time choosing between the two laptops. The Lenovo is about 7k (100$-120$) more than than the HP. I need it both for office and gaming.

Lenovo :
Ideapad Z510 (59-398016) : INR 57,000 ($950)
i7-4702MQ, 8 GB RAM, 2GB NVidia 740M (Flipkart gives the Codename, I think its a 740M itself) , 1TB HDD + 8GB SSD, HM 87 Chipset, 6MB Cache, 15.6" Anti Glare Display

HP Pavilion 14 - n201TX INR 50,000 ($850)
i5-4200U, 4 GB RAM, 2GB NVidia 740M, 1TB HDD, QM 87 Chipset, 3MB Cache, 14" Display (Totally same specs with a 15.6" is available. Smaller one preferred coz it ll be more portable)

1) I'm ready to put the extra $100-$120, but my concern is, does the i7 have too much heating effect ? When I'm gaming, I ll need a cooling pad obviously, but when I'm using it for MS-Office, Browsing and some Music, how will the i7 fare in terms of heat and battery ?

2) Performance-wise, from my research, I've seen the i7 pip i5 totally. I'm gonna play some intensive games like BF3, AC IV,Planetside etc but I will not be needing ultra/high settings all the time. Decent/Good graphics are okay with me. Medium/High is enough for me.

3) Higher the clock speeds, higher the TDP, but is battery the tradeoff for performance ? Even when running non intensive things like MS-Office ?

4) To game at a decent level, my guess is atleast I'll need 6GB RAM. So I'll have to upgrade the HP which ll cost around 2k-3k (30$-40$).

5) i5 or i7, Will I able to game occasionally while travelling ? (With/Without Power). I know performance comes down drastically without power. But other than that, will the heating effect the laptop as I won't be having a cooling pad ?

6) What is the expected battery life for HP and Lenovo ? Both of them have a 4 Cell Battery. (For simple conventional tasks, like Office, Browsing etc.)

7) Can I modify the clockspeed of the i7 ? i.e Undervolt it for regular use to improve battery life and make it normal for gaming. Does the i7-4702 MQ/i5-4200M support Overclocking/Undervolting ? If yes, does it have any side effects/or a very complicated process ?

I've kind of fallen in love with the Lenovo because of its amazing price and the great specs. But really concerned about the battery and heat generation.

As long as the i7 doesnt start heating badly and eats away the battery for day-to-day office tasks, I'm ready to invest in it. Any other laptops that I have missed out in the same price range ?

Would really appreciate some help in this guys !! :)

Thanks a lot !

Warm Regards,
Vinay

- - - Updated - - -

Last edited:

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
Hi Guys ! I'm having a tough time choosing between the two laptops. The Lenovo is about 7k (100$-120$) more than than the HP. I need it both for office and gaming.

Lenovo :
Ideapad Z510 (59-398016) : INR 57,000 ($950)
i7-4702MQ, 8 GB RAM, 2GB NVidia 740M (Flipkart gives the Codename, I think its a 740M itself) , 1TB HDD + 8GB SSD, HM 87 Chipset, 6MB Cache, 15.6" Anti Glare Display

HP Pavilion 14 - n201TX INR 50,000 ($850)
i5-4200U, 4 GB RAM, 2GB NVidia 740M, 1TB HDD, QM 87 Chipset, 3MB Cache, 14" Display (Totally same specs with a 15.6" is available. Smaller one preferred coz it ll be more portable)

1) I'm ready to put the extra $100-$120, but my concern is, does the i7 have too much heating effect ? When I'm gaming, I ll need a cooling pad obviously, but when I'm using it for MS-Office, Browsing and some Music, how will the i7 fare in terms of heat and battery ?

2) Performance-wise, from my research, I've seen the i7 pip i5 totally. I'm gonna play some intensive games like BF3, AC IV,Planetside etc but I will not be needing ultra/high settings all the time. Decent/Good graphics are okay with me. Medium/High is enough for me.

3) Higher the clock speeds, higher the TDP, but is battery the tradeoff for performance ? Even when running non intensive things like MS-Office ?

4) To game at a decent level, my guess is atleast I'll need 6GB RAM. So I'll have to upgrade the HP which ll cost around 2k-3k (30$-40$).

5) i5 or i7, Will I able to game occasionally while travelling ? (With/Without Power). I know performance comes down drastically without power. But other than that, will the heating effect the laptop as I won't be having a cooling pad ?

6) What is the expected battery life for HP and Lenovo ? Both of them have a 4 Cell Battery. (For simple conventional tasks, like Office, Browsing etc.)

7) Can I modify the clockspeed of the i7 ? i.e Undervolt it for regular use to improve battery life and make it normal for gaming. Does the i7-4702 MQ/i5-4200M support Overclocking/Undervolting ? If yes, does it have any side effects/or a very complicated process ?

I've kind of fallen in love with the Lenovo because of its amazing price and the great specs. But really concerned about the battery and heat generation.

As long as the i7 doesnt start heating badly and eats away the battery for day-to-day office tasks, I'm ready to invest in it. Any other laptops that I have missed out in the same price range ?

Would really appreciate some help in this guys !! :)

Thanks a lot !

Warm Regards,
Vinay

- - - Updated - - -

Try this !! Battery Care : BatteryCare
Hardly 1 MB.. And very useful.. notifies if battery is low/full charged. Shows power percentage and expected backup in the taskbar straight away. No need to hover above it to see the battery level. Switches to High Performance on connecting to power and Power Saver on when power is removed. Calibration of battery for set charge cycles.Also has option to disable Aero Themes,Gadgets etc when on battery as they consume more power !

Hope This Helps :)

Go for the Lenovo one.
1) It will not produce much heat. The i7 4702MQ is a slightly undervolted version of the i7 4700MQ and consumes 10 w less so it produces less heat and it won't be an issue as Lenovo's cooling mechanisms are awesome. I own the Ivy Bridge model of that processor and it never goes above 85 which is 100% safe.

2) Get the i7 4702MQ. The i5 4200U is extremely undervolted and will give performance equivalent to a i3 4xxxM processor.

3) Expect moderately good battery life on Lenovo one.

4)Get Lenovo

5)You won't need a cooling pad with this laptop unless you OC the GPU after unlocking the bios. Normal OC won't require a laptop cooler.

6) No idea. Check the reviews.

7) You won't need to OC the i7 4702MQ as no game is intensive enough to use it 100%.

TL;DR Lenovo one won't cause heating issues.

Top Bottom