p8600 processor 2.4 ghz
4 gd ddr2 ram
512 ati 4570 gr320 gb 7200 rpm hard disk
topo black colour
backlit keyboard and creative soundcard
windows vista 64 bit
total price comes out to be rs57398
m gettin a bluetooth mouse free and a bag worth 840
will be gettin dis widin a week...hope derse no prob wid da screen in mine tooo!!!

I got the same for 52500/-. Base config with the addition of 512MB GPU and back lighted keyboard. How come they charge u 4900/- extra? No freebies extra of course.

The creative addon is just software, no hardware changes.

cool_techie_tvm

Ambassador of Buzz
finally got my dell studio 1555 ....a few questions....is it better for the battery if I keep the lap plugged in at all times? I am using it as a desktop replacement so AC power is available......

I started something similar in another forum, please check it out in here *forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=1210941

izzikio_rage

Technomancer
thanks cooltechie will check it out.....by the way is there any free software that can help me set my screen contrast and other things....I remember there was one in which you were shown coloured cubes and things and had to change the settings accordingly to get the perfect display ...any idea where I can get it?

By the way the ans to my own problem the dell gives some problem connecting to others due to the mcaffee firewall...I need to turn it off and then access the LAN.

techno0065

Broken In
I got the same for 52500/-. Base config with the addition of 512MB GPU and back lighted keyboard. How come they charge u 4900/- extra? No freebies extra of course.

i think the taxes have raised my price...i belong to punjab bt i suspect 4900 is too much...excluding taxes the price was 52772..

izzikio_rage

Technomancer
@cool_techie_tvm: is the new bios worth updating to?

@techno0065: I think all the taxes are mandatory .....being in punjab you'll be getting a concession that is equal to your VAT paid ....don't worry too much, the laptop's great and worth every paise you put in....

techno0065

Broken In
bt how cum u get it 4900 less cool techie....did u get da p8600 processor or da default t6400?? n can u plz tell da amount u paid in taxes???

izzikio_rage

Technomancer
I paid rs 53K ..the only changes being 512MB graphics card, 9cell battery, topo black colour and 4GB of RAM ...this should come out to 52K now .....

You get the best price if you buy online straight from dell...

cool_techie_tvm

Ambassador of Buzz
I have emailed the quotation PDF, according to which i had made the payment of 52500/-.

The only changes were 512MB GPU and back lighted keyboard. Now they are giving away 4GB RAM, when i ordered only 3GB was available. The rest are the same (P8600 and 320GB HDD etc etc).

techno0065

Broken In
I have emailed the quotation PDF, according to which i had made the payment of 52500/-.

The only changes were 512MB GPU and back lighted keyboard. Now they are giving away 4GB RAM, when i ordered only 3GB was available. The rest are the same (P8600 and 320GB HDD etc etc).
thanks a lot techie......as i figure out mine is costlier duie to 4 gb ram,320 gb 72oo rpm hard drive (i think urs is 5400 rpm),topo black colour,creative sound solution,carrying case,windows 64 bit....all dese things add up to make mine expensive dan yours...i think dis may b da case..wht do u thnk???

cool_techie_tvm

Ambassador of Buzz
thanks a lot techie......as i figure out mine is costlier duie to 4 gb ram,320 gb 72oo rpm hard drive (i think urs is 5400 rpm),topo black colour,creative sound solution,carrying case,windows 64 bit....all dese things add up to make mine expensive dan yours...i think dis may b da case..wht do u thnk???

The extra RAM and HDD can be added to the laptop, without voiding the warranty. They are available at cheaper rates than that is being given away by Dell.

The creative add on is just software. Many have reported not much use in the case of this product. Besides u will be able to use them for a maximum of three re-installs only. And every time u reinstall the OS, u will have to request for a new key from Creative. Quite cumbersome in my opinion.

64bit OS is necessary and the carry case is essential.

techno0065

Broken In
The extra RAM and HDD can be added to the laptop, without voiding the warranty. They are available at cheaper rates than that is being given away by Dell.

The creative add on is just software. Many have reported not much use in the case of this product. Besides u will be able to use them for a maximum of three re-installs only. And every time u reinstall the OS, u will have to request for a new key from Creative. Quite cumbersome in my opinion.

64bit OS is necessary and the carry case is essential.
bt i thnk its gud to get it from dell itself....besides dis i m also gettin 1 yr acidental cover wich costs abt 1200 more dan da normal warranty...so adding all dese things make my lappy expensive dan urs n i thnk it still gives a gud value at dis price wid all dese things included...n btw how is ur lappy performing in games,techie??

cool_techie_tvm

Ambassador of Buzz
Yes, it is better to opt from Dell itself, if u hate the idea of opening up and tinkering with the product :)

I have only tried GTA IV and i was able to obtain 40~48 FPS for the game using 9.5 catalyst drivers (which i had modded for Win XP). Formatted and installed Win XP SP3 the day i got the product. Completed the game too ;) (a must play if u ask me!!)

Saw in many forums that laptops cannot be used for gaming and various other bla bla bla. Trust me, i have spent many all-nighters playing GTA IV and the product performs consistently. Of course i am on the stock cooling and the fan noise is quite low even when they are on high speeds. I am using the product as a desktop replacement and hence have removed the battery and use an UPS instead. For my "mobile" needs, i have another work supplied laptop. Make sure to invest on an external keyboard and mouse if gaming is on your mind. U will be able to find USB to PS2 adapters in ebay. Now u do not want to ruin the delicate keys by consistent gaming, right?

Frankly it is been sometime since i left the arena of gaming, so am unsure about the latest games. I have come across youtube videos depicting good crysis gameplay using the same.

Last edited:

izzikio_rage

Technomancer
tried playing GRID on it....works great even at a resolution of 1024X786 with all the settings at high or ultra ....

Burnout paradise starts stuttering albeit breifly at 1360X786 but is still playable in most areas ....

I tried running 3d mark vantage on it but got the error that the min resolution of 1200X something is not supported ....altough the native resolution is 1360X786 ...need help on this issue....

Top Bottom