All laptop related queries here!!!

tech-layman

I'm techy ;)
Hello guys,

I wanted to know a few things b4 I buy a new lappy:

1. Does 1066MHz DDR3 RAM improve performance dramatically over 800MHz DDR2 with Intel C2D T6600 or P8600/8700?

2. Although in Intel's site the above processors are shown to be 64-bit enabled, companies also provide 32-bit operating systems with these. Will I be able to move to 64-bit OS easily later if I buy a lappy with 32-bit OS. Is there any difference at any other hardware?

3. What are the advantages of having a 64 bit OS?

4. Does P8600/P8700 show an appreciable improvement in performance over T6600 for gaming (mostly I'll do light gaming and only occassionally will I play heavy games:smile:), movies and CAD softwares (I'm mechanical engineering student)?

5. What advantages in performance does Intel P45 chipset offer over Intel G45 chipset?

6. Has AMD anything as good to offer as above Intel processors?

7. What's the story about all these different types of displays- WXGA TFT LED backlight; HD WLED; WXGA TFT LCD; XGA TFT LCD, etc.?
What is the difference between backlighting (LED or LCD) and the terms WXGA and TFT? This all is too confusing:confused: Which one is the best?

Thnx

Last edited:

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
1) Just a little bit
2) yes. every processor and laptop coming out in the market supports 64-bit. all you need to do is to buy a 64-bit version of OS. if you are getting Dell, you can preorder the laptop to have 64-bit of windows.
3) right now not much advantage for 64-bit. one notable advantage is when one want to use 3.5Gb or higher amount of RAM. (32bit os can access max of 3.5Gb of memory).
4) go for P series as they are better than T6600 and most notable feature is their support for virtualization.
5) P45 chipset doesn't come with GPU. G45 comes with a basic dx10 intel GPU
6) AMD Turion II X2 are solid processors for laptops.
7) for LCD, it all comes down to quality of display and power saving. LED displays takes much less power and also displays blacks better so go for them if it is under your budget.

tech-layman

I'm techy ;)
Thnx Desibond.

Moreover, Dell gives 32bit Win7 with Vostro1520 with no option to upgrade to 64 bit, so u mean it should not be a problem if I instal 64bit OS manually later and things would work exactly the same?

For the price tag of Rs40000-Rs50000, I've following options:
1. Sony Vaio VPCCW13EG/BU: C2D T6600, 2GB DDR3 1066MHz, 250GB SATA, NVIDIA® GeForce® G210M with 256 MB GDDR3 SDRA, Win7 64bit
@ 42990 Rs
(model with P8700, 4GB DDR3, 320SATA and 512 MB graphic memeory is Rs57990)
2. Dell Studio14: C2D T6600, 3GB DDR3 1066MHz, 320GB SATA, ATI HD 4530 with 512 MB GDDR3 SDRAM, Win7 64bit
@ 45337
(with P8700 price becomes Rs 52,202)
3. Dell Vostro 1520: C2D P8600, 2GB DDR2 800 MHz, 250 SATA with fall sensor, NVIDIA GeForce 9300M with 256MB dedicated graphic memory, WIN7 32 bit
@ Rs 45187

My friends have a bad experience with Studio 15. Like plastic getting out of shape at places, other had a few keys coming out of a month old laptop (and guys at dell said that they don't cover it under warranty), while yet another had mobo problems. Even other guys in my hostel have problems.
So I'm not sure if I'll want a Studio 14.

How's the build of Vostro anyways.
Which one would of the above is the best? And any good lappy with
AMD Turion II X2 in them?

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
hmm. Did you check HP DV6 models. I see some modles coming with HD4670 and costs around 55k-60k. Should be a better one when compared to above models.

ssk_the_gr8

Make Way the LORD is Here
hmm. Did you check HP DV6 models. I see some modles coming with HD4670 and costs around 55k-60k. Should be a better one when compared to above models.

hey desi.. could you suggest a few sites which have laptop models & prices regularly updated with the the latest releases for india

tech-layman

I'm techy ;)
55k-60k goes out of my budget!:sad:

Any comments on my selections? And anything better at offer under 50k?
I wanted to know that which of the two combinations would perform better- T6600 with DDR3 RAM or P8600 with DDR2 RAM?

What exactly is virtualization? How does it enhance performance?

And if GM45 has a built in GPU and some companies provide an external GPU too with it then does that mean I'll have a choice to use one of the two GPUs or both of them together?

Thnx.

Last edited:

red dragon

Master troll
DV6 series is obviously a better option,I bought 2005ax about one month ago and it is holding pretty good,some of my friends got studio 15 n they are complaining about built quality since day 1.why dont you look into some asus models?

tech-layman

I'm techy ;)
What advantage does virtualization offer?

Also AMD M500 in 2005ax has almost the same specs as T6600 except for Bus Speed(3600MHz in AMD vs mere 800 in T6600), L2 cache(1MB in AMD vs 2MB in T6600) and virtualization tech. How do these specs individually affect performance? If anyone could explain it! I mean what roles do cache and FSB play in performance?

Despite better specs, why is AMD poorer in benchmarks?(I went through a few by googling)

ssk_the_gr8

could u give me a link where it shows that M500 is poorer than T6600....
cuz the rm-74/75 were behind C2D's but the M series is not

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
What advantage does virtualization offer?

Also AMD M500 in 2005ax has almost the same specs as T6600 except for Bus Speed(3600MHz in AMD vs mere 800 in T6600), L2 cache(1MB in AMD vs 2MB in T6600) and virtualization tech. How do these specs individually affect performance? If anyone could explain it! I mean what roles do cache and FSB play in performance?

Despite better specs, why is AMD poorer in benchmarks?(I went through a few by googling)

in AMD there is no FSB as the memory controller is in the processor die itself and the 3600MHz speed is for Hypertransport bus. T6600 on the other hand still doesn't have integrated memory controller and the mem controller is placed on the motherboard and hence the bus speed in this case is FSB is a bit low.

virtualization helps a lot if you run virtual PCs like vmware setup and with h/w virtualization you can run the virtual OS at near native speed. It certainly helps. Most of intel Pxxxx processors should have virtualization.

wishmaster.dj

Broken In
it ultimately boils down to price .. 2005ax is a better deal as u get the M500 which has the same performance as t6600

But isnt 2005ax ddr2? wherea 1319tx is ddr3?

As far as price is concerned, 2005ax is A MUCH better deal. have been doing the rounds.

Also, what about amd proccy heating? also, can you mention your source of info on performance of m500 being equal to t6600?

ssk_the_gr8

no heating up of the amd proccy. this is an old myth.they run perfectly cool.
about the performance .. i own the dv6 2005ax & my roommate has a dv4 with c2d t6600. by personal experience i can say they have same performance . and amd M500 has a WEI score of 5.6 where as the WEI score of t6600 is 5.4

wishmaster.dj

Broken In
no heating up of the amd proccy. this is an old myth.they run perfectly cool.
about the performance .. i own the dv6 2005ax & my roommate has a dv4 with c2d t6600. by personal experience i can say they have same performance . and amd M500 has a WEI score of 5.6 where as the WEI score of t6600 is 5.4

what about ddr2 vs ddr3? how much difference will it make?

and what about overheating in hp laptops? heard a bit about them. your experiences?

tech-layman

I'm techy ;)
could u give me a link where it shows that M500 is poorer than T6600....
cuz the rm-74/75 were behind C2D's but the M series is not

Please check this out- *www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-Processors-Benchmarklist.2436.0.html

I've found such benchmarks in some other places too. Even in other places it has been placed at most comparable, but never above the t6600. I'm sortta confused:?

Juz tell me if it is reliable.

Is WEI a good benchmark?

Thnx

Last edited:
Top Bottom