All laptop related queries here!!!

Sourabh

Laptoping
Aryayush - The second config from the same Vostro 1500 catalog.

CadCrazy - You've got 2 options. Inspiron 1720 from Dell or HP Pavilion dv9502AU

Go for the HP if the only reason you need a 17-inch laptop is because of the massive screen. That's the only 17-inch laptop from HP available in India right now. It has onboard go7150 graphics which may be good for HD video playback but seriously no gaming on this one.

The base config of the Dell is better but costly.

Akshay

Cyborg Agent
@abhishek

Download drivers for HP Pavilion DV6150 or Compaq Presario v6000 CTO

I got my drivers from d dealer.. He gave me a cd of all d drivers. Though I had to download drivers for processor frm AMD site.

Last edited:

managana

Right off the assembly line
Good News for Tamil Nadu Students

Tamil Nadu Govt's ELCOT has come out with an scheme for supply of Laptops at concessional rate. The site says:
"This scheme is envisaged to provide an affordable HIGH QUALITY professional laptop computer to the student community of TamilNadu. It is open to students of all segment starting from LKG to Post graduate courses. It is also open to the open university / distant education students. But the address of the student should be within TamilNadu.
These professional laptop computers are currently being purchased by ELCOT Rs.44000 plus taxes. But we are offering the very same laptop computers for Rs.26000 - 30000 a piece. Hence the offer is open only for students within TamilNadu as it is meant ONLY for student community."

URL is
Code:
*elcot.in/student_laptop/student-laptop-intro.php

Can someone comment on this?

deepakchan

Troubleshooter
Going to order a Flemingo Pink Colored Dell Inspiron 1420 for my sis. They have sent 3 quotations.

1 Yr Complete Cover - Rs.47020
2 Yrs Complete Cover - Rs.52342
3 Yrs Complete Cover - Rs.54277

The difference between 2 and 3 yrs is less. Why is it so much for the 1st and the 2nd.? Moreover, I thought extending the warranty alone for 2 yrs is only 5000. But now the difference is 7250. And they don't have an option of only upgrading the warranty. Only Complete Cover.

---------UPDATE-----------

I've ordered the laptop.. They further reduced the price to Rs.52663 for 3 yr complete cover.. God know how..

Last edited:

manoj_299

Out of Stock
Can Anyone Tell me more about HP DV9502AU Model: I means review and performance. I have plan to buy a notebook as desktop replacement. I have to choose between Dell 1520 & HP DV9502AU.

+ Point for Dell: Good service, Fast processor. GFX= Intel 3100
+ Point for HP : 17" Screen and other good feature like Finger Print Reader. Good for Desktop replacement + one more HDD space support 400 GB HDD.

I have seen the Product of HP today at retailer. The screen is damn large. Good view.

I am confused: which one for I go. I need it for Basic use Internet surfing. Webpage editing etc. No game at all. I get quotation of HP DV9502AU and it says Chipset: NVIDIA MCP67M. Is it Good? How will be the performance? Does NVIDIA Geforce Go 7150 M is better than Intel 3100? Help me to choose. I dont need for Game. but I am hardcore internet user means too many tabs in Firefox togeter and my PIII 1.1 Ghz witrh 256 MB Ram just stop to respond at that time. HP is preferable because I always used 17" monitor in home. I want to know about its performance with my work. They are Providing Vista Home Premium....Will this system handle VISTA or I will have to move to XP. Please help me out.

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
@Sourabh
Thanks, yaar! But he does not like Dell for some reason. Any other option? Preferably from Lenovo.

Sourabh

Laptoping
aryayush - The customized Vostro 1500 and Inspiron 1520 from the Dell are the only value-for-money gaming laptops in India currently. Others are a bit expensive. Asus G1S has similar specs, but it's priced at 90k and comes with 2-year warranty. HP has no performance oriented laptops (in India), forget gaming. And the 90k figure reminds me, the all-new-basic MacBook Pro isn't far away then. 97k on CafeGadgets.

Lenovo is the last company who will make a gaming laptop. They, at best, put entry-level Nvidia/ATi solutions for Vista!

Tell your friend, he doesn't have any other options. Sometimes, it's a nice thing to have. So tell him to put his 'likes' aside and get the Dell.

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Yaar, he is adamant. He is intent on buying the Lenovo Y500 series. I told him your opinion but he hates Dell. The notebook he is buying has an nVidia 7400 256MB graphics card.

dr_jimit

Journeyman
Hello friends,

I am here again for asking your help in deciding a Laptop for my Aunty,

Basic requirements
Budget is less then Rs.45,000/-

Vista Premium ready
Core 2 Duo Mobile with good speed
1GB RAM
Graphics should be able to run Vista Premium, Intel inbuilt chipset good if it can handle Aero

Minimum 15" screen, good resolution, widescreen if +,
DVD supermultidrive
Wireless g
Inbuilt webcam and microphone if available :)
Onsite warranty if available

I think hp/compaq brand is good,
My brother and 2 of my friends have it, newer models perform as good as they look.
Thanks,
Dr. Jimit

Last edited:

manoj_299

Out of Stock
manoj_299 said:
Can Anyone Tell me more about HP DV9502AU Model: I means review and performance. I have plan to buy a notebook as desktop replacement. I have to choose between Dell 1520 & HP DV9502AU.

+ Point for Dell: Good service, Fast processor. GFX= Intel 3100
+ Point for HP : 17" Screen and other good feature like Finger Print Reader. Good for Desktop replacement + one more HDD space support 400 GB HDD.

I have seen the Product of HP today at retailer. The screen is damn large. Good view.

I am confused: which one for I go. I need it for Basic use Internet surfing. Webpage editing etc. No game at all. I get quotation of HP DV9502AU and it says Chipset: NVIDIA MCP67M. Is it Good? How will be the performance? Does NVIDIA Geforce Go 7150 M is better than Intel 3100? Help me to choose. I dont need for Game. but I am hardcore internet user means too many tabs in Firefox togeter and my PIII 1.1 Ghz witrh 256 MB Ram just stop to respond at that time. HP is preferable because I always used 17" monitor in home. I want to know about its performance with my work. They are Providing Vista Home Premium....Will this system handle VISTA or I will have to move to XP. Please help me out.

Soneone please help me.... Answer my Question.

aneesh kalra

Mclaren F1 Long tail
Is it possible to attach an add on sound card to a laptop,as far as I know it cannot be done but then how do the likes of nvidia and ati bundle them along.If not is there any other way of using an external graphics card like the quadro from nvidia.

eminemence

Journeyman
Can someone suggest a laptop from either HP/Lenovo/Sony?
Budget : 60K
User Requirements : Mainly programming and some net browsing.
Does not matter if its multimedia rich or not,but need good network interface options(LAN/WIFI/BT) and card reader as well.
Any suggestions are welcome.
And also shop options in Pune are also welcome.
Thanks.
--eminemence.

Sourabh

Laptoping
aryayush - Go7400 is seriously outdated. Check out the dv6516TX instead (priced at 57k). Features 8400M GS

eminemence - Check out VAIO CR series laptop on www.sony.co.in . It's available for 55k with option for a few colors. Sony laptops are easily available in malls and Sony showrooms. Pay another 5k since your budget permits and extend the warranty to 3-year.

aneesh kalra - PCMCIA sound cards are available from ages. Even ExpressCard variants of the Creative X-Fi have been announced, but not available in India yet. External graphic cards for laptops continues to be a dream in the real world.

manoj_299 - The screen size is not the only criteria. You can opt for a 1680x1050 WSXGA+ on the 15.4-inch widescreen of the Dell Inspiron 1520/Vostro 1500 and get more desktop real estate than the HP. Just 5k additional charges. I would suggest you to get the Dells due to the customisation option to suit your needs. Dells also come with on-site warranty and better battery life. 17-inch laptops are HUGE anyways, no mobility. Both the Dell and HP are more than capable of Windows Vista.

dr_jimit - Check out the Dell Inspiron 1520/Vostro 1500 on Dell India website. HP Compaq's current lineup for 45k budget is poor. No onsite warranty too.

abhinav_bipnesh

Journeyman
Dell Laptop are i think the best value for money as even my two friends has bought HP laptop & the configuration they got is not to the mark to the present system configuration. Also I am more satisfied as the h/w which we get from dell is latest & also u can customize according to ur need & buget & also the performance is also good.........
As i am looking for a benchmarking tool to bench mark my system as the configuration of my laptop is

Dell Insprion 1520
Intel Core2Duo T7100 (1.8 GHz 800Mhz Fsb)
2 GB 667Mhz (dual channel ) Ram
160 GB HDD
NVidia 8600GT 256MB GDDR2
15" (1680X1080) WXGA
& all other regular stuff.

So any good Benchmarking tool to bench mark my system ...............:D:D:D

Sourabh

Laptoping
abhinav_bipnesh said:
Dell Laptop are i think the best value for money as even my two friends has bought HP laptop & the configuration they got is not to the mark to the present system configuration. Also I am more satisfied as the h/w which we get from dell is latest & also u can customize according to ur need & buget & also the performance is also good.........
As i am looking for a benchmarking tool to bench mark my system as the configuration of my laptop is

Dell Insprion 1520
Intel Core2Duo T7100 (1.8 GHz 800Mhz Fsb)
2 GB 667Mhz (dual channel ) Ram
160 GB HDD
NVidia 8600GT 256MB GDDR2
15" (1680X1080) WXGA
& all other regular stuff.

So any good Benchmarking tool to bench mark my system ...............:D:D:D

*www.laptoplogic.com/reviews/detail.php?id=170&part=full&page=6

Enjoy!

Sourabh

Laptoping
Download 3DMark 03, 05, 06

PCMark '05