• CONTEST ALERT - Experience the power of DDR5 memory with Kingston Click for details

All laptop related queries here!!!

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
The new norms of 2020 laptop with U series processor be it Intel or AMD with their current generation offering

(A) U Processor = Fixed RAM = Dual Channel Configuration in most cases, Gone are days with Two RAM slots with One occupied.
(B) It is best for consumer if we get 4000U series processor with 8GB fixed and one slot remain empty, but laptop manufacture decided not to give that unless you like to spend more and opt for H or HS series processor.
(C) Right now All laptop manufacturer dumping 8GB U series processor in India as the cost cutting measure.
(D) IMHO they got the idea if Apple Macbook line up comes with 8GB Fixed RAM as base and Consumer of India paying the premium of buying those why not us ? Because the Macbook are Appliances which maintained by the Apple with closed eco system and there file system completely different. These are Normal Computer for Normal People.

Anyhow anyone wants a 4000 U Series machine with 16GB RAM (which is minimum for future proofing), they need to wait.
A. The likely reason for this is price increase of dram chips which resulted in ssd & ram prices increasing. Once the prices go back to their original levels this trend should also reverse.

B. Even more important reason than this is the presence of IPS screen in all H/HS series processors even in their lowest end models compared to U version counterparts where IPS screen is rare. For reference, HP 60k laptop with ryzen 3700u still comes without ips screen. :facepalm:

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
U means power saving version which in turn means these processors cannot run under heavy load for extended duration without thermal throttling(aka slowing down to reduce temps & power consumption).

2. No need to look for dual channel ram unless you are planning on gaming using ryzen integrated graphics because even without dual channel ryzen graphics is still must faster than intel integrated graphics.
Somehow for me laptop and gaming do not go together. Forget that, even for regular office work or almost anything that involves a bit of work, I prefer the comfort of my desktop. Laptop ends up being only for travel and emergencies.

I am hoping some competition in the coming days among manufacturers will lead to reasonable pricing.

dissel

Cyborg Agent
ASUS VivoBook Flip 14 TM420IA (First Ryzen 4000 U Series ultrabook with additional RAM slot offering in India)

4500U + 512 GB SSD + Onboard Vega 6 Graphics + 8GB Dual Channel RAM with 1 Upgrade Slot upto 12GB

4700U + 512 GB SSD + Onboard Vega 7 Graphics + 8GB Dual Channel RAM with 1 Upgrade Slot upto 12GB

As per my guess 4GB RAM Integrated to the Motherboard and the 4GB Stick Installed to the slot as previous gen models did, below dual core model only comes with Integrated 4GB and Full Empty slot.

And.....

4300U + 256GB SSD + Onboard Vega 5 Graphics + 4GB RAM with 1 Upgrade Slot upto 12GB

Last edited:

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
Are the screens IPS? Battery capacity seems to have gone up from 3500 series.

MicroSD slot is a bummer but I can probably live with it. Happy that they give 3 USB slots in 14 inch screen bodies compare to some others giving only 2.

Pricing is of course too high at the moment.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Are the screens IPS? Battery capacity seems to have gone up from 3500 series.

MicroSD slot is a bummer but I can probably live with it. Happy that they give 3 USB slots in 14 inch screen bodies compare to some others giving only 2.

Pricing is of course too high at the moment.

1598727159328.png

Last edited:

dissel

Cyborg Agent
Now those early adopters of HP Envy x360 who spend 75k for 4500U + 8GB Fixed RAM model will really going to envy for this ASUS offering if these machines are Touch Screen and Stylus bundled in the box for Indian Consumers.

Hope Asus didn’t do any dirty tricks here by eliminating Touch + Stylus excluded from the Global varient to this India bound model..if they do then HP Envy buyers will rejoice.

Edit : - Got It, ASUS didn’t do any bad things

Update : the below video is not for RYZEN model, wrong video.

Last edited:

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
I am always frustrated by this kind of things regarding laptops. Companies launch many models with similar or same model number but internal configurations mentioned by global reviewers will be much fancier compared to the models available on the ground in India.

EDIT:
Came across this review by GeekyRanjith -

No mention of stylus or touchscreen.

Last edited:

kg11sgbg

Indian Railways - The Vibrant and Moving INDIA
@SaiyanGoku , any idea what is the price of Asus VivoBook Flip 14 TM420IA??? In INR obviously?

Sorry Friends, I posted on the wrong comment section,previously.

dissel

Cyborg Agent
I am always frustrated by this kind of things regarding laptops. Companies launch many models with similar or same model number but internal configurations mentioned by global reviewers will be much fancier compared to the models available on the ground in India.

EDIT:
Came across this review by GeekyRanjith -

No mention of stylus or touchscreen.

Hi. GeekyRanjith reviewed model is not the same model - It just a general model, not the Flip -

Below is the 4700U version the model he reviewed

And 4500U Version which he actually recommended

dissel

Cyborg Agent
Guys - please look into the description section of the Asus Vivobook Flip TM420IA, You will find this.....This mean ASUS didn’t cut out Touch Screen and Stylus....Amazon must post the at least one picture which will clear the doubt in the first glance.

cr7wPJr.png

kg11sgbg

Indian Railways - The Vibrant and Moving INDIA
Has anyone from Kolkata,visited Nimbus Computers (besides Paradise Cinema Hall) near Esplanade?
It is ASUS Exclusive Store besides Chandni Chowk area.

DeadBoy

Broken In
Guys, I'm considering buying a new laptop for around INR 100k ± 10k mainly for gaming and programming.

I'm looking for a 17" screen one with at least a 1660 Ti, a Ryzen 7 (or an Intel equivalent), 16 GB DDR4 RAM, 1 TB HDD with 256 GB SSD

I'm considering Asus TUF A17

It's not urgent. I was thinking to wait for some festival sales (maybe around Diwali).

What do you think? Any better choices?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Guys, I'm considering buying a new laptop for around INR 100k ± 10k mainly for gaming and programming.

I'm looking for a 17" screen one with at least a 1660 Ti, a Ryzen 7 (or an Intel equivalent), 16 GB DDR4 RAM, 1 TB HDD with 256 GB SSD

I'm considering Asus TUF A17

It's not urgent. I was thinking to wait for some festival sales (maybe around Diwali).

What do you think? Any better choices?
Asus TUF series for anything above 1650Ti is a bad idea because of its poor thermal performance.
@omega44-xt @SaiyanGoku

Top Bottom