All laptop related queries here!!!

TheSloth

The Slowest One
Guys I need quick suggestions here

One of my colleague is getting a used Dell laptop for 25k with following config : i5 3540, 4GB DDR3, 500GB HDD

Is it a good deal? Quick serach on Flipkart shows Quad core 330 APU or Celeron Dual Core. Also there's Intel N5000 from Asus. How are these CPUs against i5 3rd Gen? Aim is to get most powerful combo under 25k. Help me out here please.

Stormbringer

Ambassador of Buzz

One of my colleague is getting a used Dell laptop for 25k with following config : i5 3540, 4GB DDR3, 500GB HDD

Is it a good deal? Quick serach on Flipkart shows Quad core 330 APU or Celeron Dual Core. Also there's Intel N5000 from Asus. How are these CPUs against i5 3rd Gen? Aim is to get most powerful combo under 25k. Help me out here please.
25k sounds too overpriced for that config.

I sold my 3 years old Y500 with i7 3rd gen, GT650M, 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD & 128GB SSD for 25k & that was 3 years ago. Although my laptop had some faults, still I don't think I would have got more than 35k for that.

Now 25k for those specs are a rip off for your friend. I'd suggest not getting it at all, even at 10k as it is about 6 years old now & it has high likeliness of failing anytime now.

Mobile Processors - Benchmark List
CPU performance benchmarks. The N5000 seems good, Cinebench R15 multi score puts it above i3 6006U. Just ask him to get a new laptop, most likely that used one doesn't even have 1080p display, so it really makes no sense unless he wants to donate money to the seller.

*www.amazon.in/HP-CS0009TU-14-inch-Integrated-Graphics/dp/B07L9SCJMB/ref=sr_1_135?fst=as:eek:ff&qid=1552892175&refinements=p_36:7252029031,p_n_condition-type:8609960031&rnid=8609959031&s=computers&sr=1-135
No dvd drive,cheapest 7th gen core i3 processor.Just upgrade hdd to 120gb ssd(kingston a400 120gb on onlyssd for 1700) & use internal hdd in *www.amazon.in/External-Portable-USB3-0-2139U3-CR-Transparent/dp/B01N07NBLA
I would say this is a good option for your friend @TheSloth

Even though the CPU isn't as fast as the old 3rd gen i5, it isn't a big gap to justify a 6 year old laptop.

TheSloth

The Slowest One
@Stormbringer @SaiyanGoku and @anupam_pb Thanks for replying.

Also, how is this laptop in the link against HP i3 7020U mentioned above?
*www.amazon.in/Lenovo-Ideapad-Pentium-15-6-inchLaptop-81D100JCIN/dp/B07HBDPTJJ/ref=sr_1_1?qid=1554008973&refinements=p_36:-2500000,p_89:Dell|Lenovo,p_n_condition-type:8609960031,p_n_feature_thirteen_browse-bin:12598164031&rnid=12598141031&s=computers&sr=1-1

I would ask the colleague to not go for this and rather wait for some sale and then get the best config under 25k. Otherwise this Lenovo laptop is fine i guess?

@Stormbringer @SaiyanGoku and @anupam_pb Thanks for replying.

Also, how is this laptop in the link against HP i3 7020U mentioned above?
*www.amazon.in/Lenovo-Ideapad-Pentium-15-6-inchLaptop-81D100JCIN/dp/B07HBDPTJJ/ref=sr_1_1?qid=1554008973&refinements=p_36:-2500000,p_89:Dell|Lenovo,p_n_condition-type:8609960031,p_n_feature_thirteen_browse-bin:12598164031&rnid=12598141031&s=computers&sr=1-1

I would ask the colleague to not go for this and rather wait for some sale and then get the best config under 25k. Otherwise this Lenovo laptop is fine i guess?

Read this

Mobile Processors - Benchmark List
CPU performance benchmarks.

The N5000 seems good, Cinebench R15 multi score puts it above i3 6006U. Just ask him to get a new laptop, most likely that used one doesn't even have 1080p display, so it really makes no sense unless he wants to donate money to the seller.

Performance in between 6th gen i3 & 7th gen i3, so not a bad CPU.

Last edited:

BhargavJ

In the zone
My Dell laptop screen has developed some problems. Earlier, there were vertical lines and some colour smudging but they would go away if I pressed on the left or right side, or the bottom of the screen. Now, the problem persists, so that I have had to put an eraser as packing at the screen bottom, at the center, so that it always in "pressed" position. If I remove the eraser, this is what the screen shows:

Imgur

The first image is of Foxit Reader without the screen being pressed, the second with the screen being pressed (much better, but not perfect), and the third is of a right-click (again, without pressing).

Is there any way you can diagnose where the problem lies, and whether the entire screen will have to be replaced, or some small repair work can fix the problem?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Maybe but looks more like screen issue.
Screen shows strange colors | Laptop Repair 101
If the screen starts showing different colors, lines, or clears to normal when you squeeze the top part of the display panel, most likely this is screen failure. In this case you’ll have to replace the screen.

true_lies

Ambassador of Buzz
I'm looking to buy a laptop but in a bit of a dilemma. Its been a long time coming for an upgrade.
The thing is I may move out of India in the next few months (Application under process), and I can't decide if I should buy one from here before moving, or get one from the destination country. Not sure if International Policy is included if you buy it from India.
My budget is 50k-55k, 60k max if worth it. I will make another thread post listing all requirements with the questionnaire. Just wanted to get an opinion from you guys about what to do. Hopefully someone here has been in a similar situation and help me out

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
I'm looking to buy a laptop but in a bit of a dilemma. Its been a long time coming for an upgrade.
The thing is I may move out of India in the next few months (Application under process), and I can't decide if I should buy one from here before moving, or get one from the destination country. Not sure if International Policy is included if you buy it from India.
My budget is 50k-55k, 60k max if worth it. I will make another thread post listing all requirements with the questionnaire. Just wanted to get an opinion from you guys about what to do. Hopefully someone here has been in a similar situation and help me out
Depends on which country you'd be moving to. If it is USA, there's no point in buying it here. You'll not only get better config but at cheaper price as well.

true_lies

Ambassador of Buzz
Depends on which country you'd be moving to. If it is USA, there's no point in buying it here. You'll not only get better config but at cheaper price as well.
Would be moving to Canada. Was checking out some similar spec laptops from Asus on BestBuy and Flipkart and price difference is quiet a lot. This Asus ROG laptop is roughly 55k (on sale) compared to 70k on Flipkart (albeit with an extra HDD)

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Would be moving to Canada. Was checking out some similar spec laptops from Asus on BestBuy and Flipkart and price difference is quiet a lot. This Asus ROG laptop is roughly 55k (on sale) compared to 70k on Flipkart (albeit with an extra HDD)
I'd say fill the questionnaire and create a new thread. Once the requirements are clear, then a suggestion can be made.

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
definitely a fair price. It's probably worth waiting and picking one up there. Prices are slightly higher in India.

Buy from Canada, more options & cheaper price.

Top Bottom