Air India charging double amount from Indians in troubled Egypt

paroh

Padawan
[Source]*economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/politics/nation/air-india-charging-double-amount-from-indians-in-troubled-egypt/articleshow/7400801.cms[/source]

NEW DELHI: Indians in the troubled Egyptian capital of Cairo had to shell out double the normal fare for a one-way ticket to Mumbai on an Air India flight even as life in the city ground to a halt and banks and ATMs remained shut.

Air India operated two flights on Monday to Mumbai and passengers on both flights had to pay 5,670 Egyptian pounds (about 48,000) for a one-way ticket. Normal fare for a Cairo-Mumbai flight is less than half that, according to expat Indians in Cairo.

"The situation is really grim here. Supermarkets are running out of food and essentials," said Narayan Bhat, who works as director of operations at Egyptian tech firm Metra Computers. "I'm really disappointed with the Indian government. At a time like this, Air India is charging more than double the normal fare. If a family of four wants to travel, that is a lot of money we have to pay in cash," Bhat said.

Bhat is based in 6th of October City, which is about 40 km from Cairo. Bhat says those in Cairo are facing far more difficulties with intense protests against the Hosni Mubarak government extending to more than a week.

An officer at the Indian embassy control room in Cairo said a third flight is being planned and this time around, arrangements have been made for passengers without adequate cash. "They can give an undertaking and travel and deposit the cash at the nearest passport office in India within five days of arrival," he said.

gagan007

Uhu, Not Gonna Happen!
this is really sad...other countries are providing free of cost airlift for its stranded citizens...if you can't do that, then atleast charge fairly!

What do you guys think Air India is? A charitable organisation? Why should they offer lower prices (subsidise) for anyone. It is in a competitive business and I do not see anything wrong with their charging double amounts.

gagan007

Uhu, Not Gonna Happen!
there is something called humanity. if you do not know the meaning of that, i need not say anymore.

and about Air India....it is not charitable organization, but it runs on charity. the tax that i had paid to government, had been pumped into air india so that it stays afloat..

i know the meaning of humanity very well. But at the end of the day, Air India is doing a business and if you don't know the meaning of business, I need not say more.

iinfi

mekalodu
@mayur_digitized
a national carrier or a country's air force is expected to protect the interests of the people of the country. its a govt entity. business comes next .. if at all u knw what ur talking abt.

gagan007

Uhu, Not Gonna Happen!
during the time of crisis it is the responsibility of govt to make sure that the citizens are safe and sound.Air India is not a govt organization but Indian govt has major stake in it and operates it so AI shouldn't really do this.

pauldmps

Banned
AI is using this as an opportunity to make some quick cash which they desperately need to avoid the business falling.

@gagan007

Air India is a 100% govt. organisation.

Quote from Wikipedia:
Air India (Hindi: एअर इंडिया) is a state-owned flag carrier and currently the oldest airline of the Republic of India. It is a part of the Indian government-owned National Aviation Company of India Limited (NACIL).

gagan007

Uhu, Not Gonna Happen!
ohh thanks for clarifying buddy...so it makes them more responsible towards rescuing Indian nationals from such unstable place.doesn't army too work in flood affected areas without any extra compensation...

Last edited:
OP
paroh

paroh

Padawan
Reasonable charge is ok, but going to charge double is not justify in any way.
In some were in news paper i read that AI pilot are ready to give there service free of cost

pauldmps

Banned
^^ Which government ? The Manmohan Singh (read: Madam Ji) led UPA government which is running to save its ass from the number of scams it has done ?

Top Bottom