air-conditioners help needed

iinfi

mekalodu
air-conditioners --- help needed

we have a pretty big room and will probably need a 2-ton split ac ....
my take is a 2-ton split from any other make is equivalent to a 1.5 ton hitachi ac.
am i right or wrong?? i v heard people hitachi ACs cool a lot faster and a 1.5 ton hitachi ac is equivalent to a 2 ton one from any other brand ...

any comments .. any place where i can get concrete info .. the shop fellow is a fool ... electricity we dont pay .. so thats not an issue

gagan007

Uhu, Not Gonna Happen!
lets talk about the unit used to categorise the ACs i.e. ton.

Tonnage The unit of measure used in air conditioning to describe the cooling capacity of a system. One ton of cooling is based on the amount of heat needed to melt one ton (2000 lbs.) of ice in a 24 hour period. One ton of cooling is equal to 12,000 Btu/hr.

or

1 ton of air conditioning = 12,000 btu's of cooling per 1 hour. ie 2 ton = 24,000 btu's of heat removed in 1 one hour, 3 ton - 36,000 and so on

So whether it is Hitachi or Voltas or Carrier or LG or Samsung, one ton AC of all the companies will have capacity of removing 12K BTU of heat in an hour. You assumption is like one kg of cotton is lighter than one kg of iron.

I would suggest you to go for Voltas ACs which have good reputation and equally good service support also (in India). Second comes LG. I have experienced 1.5 ton LG Split AC cooling a large hall within minutes. While making a purchase I would also suggest you to keep an eye on the star rating of the ACs. Though some people may disagree and also say that it makes very little difference in elex bill, this is completely untrue. having a 5 star equipment instead of one star will help you save a huge amount of money.

nileshgr

Wise Old Owl
^^ Voltas +1
Its a very old company and has been selling ACs and Refrigerators since a long time.

OP
iinfi

iinfi

mekalodu
ahhhh... well ... thanks for the detailed explanation. i knw the unit n the explanation. this is in theory.
but pratically speaking i v heard from what people say that hitachi a/c perform much better than its counterparts! i v even heard people who sell ACs say hitachi 1.5 ton ac will cool better than a electrolux 1.5 ton ac. i dont know what they mean. hence posted!.

nileshgr

Wise Old Owl
It might be that you met people with hitachi ACs on whose houses sunlight doesn't fall directly and those you met with electrolux ones have direct sunlight falling on their houses :p
It really makes no sense saying 1.5 ton hitachi cools better than something else, then you would be violating laws of physics !

OP
iinfi

iinfi

mekalodu
yes ok .. ur talking theorotically ....
comparisons on hitachi's website will be heavily loaded in their favour... have a look @ this comparison
Code:
Advanced Hitachi Air Conditioners          |Other Air Conditioners 
Higher BTU than rated,so more cooling    |	Lower BTU than rated,so less cooling

hmm... probably in lay man's terms wat i m talking now makes some sense ....

nileshgr

Wise Old Owl
^^ What's the proof that their air conditioners have higher BTU rate than specified and/or other air conditioners have lower BTU rate than specified ?
As far as I've seen, Voltas performs best.

gagan007

Uhu, Not Gonna Happen!
Yupp...Voltas is tested and trusted by many. :)
Anyways iinfi, its your call only. I just want to say that do not trust the vendors blindly. Sometimes they try to sell whatever they have the most in their stock or whichever product guarantees them highest margin. :)

Hitachi is awesome. In my company I have seen Hitachi installation and have no qualms against it. Do check out if it has proper support/after sales service in your city.

Why there is no name of general Ac's ?? @iinfi do add general ac's in your list while making comparison..and I'm sure if you're having budget..you wont opt for anything else.

I have samsung and voltas 1.5ton ac, Samsung quality is worst and don't expect good cc support for after sales service. Voltas baby is just 1year old so till now there is no complaint. I opted for General for 33k in my bedroom and cant imagine what is in the build..its the same 1.5 ton..but I have to keep it off after 1-2 hours.

PS : G ac's gonna cost you 5-10k more than the other manufactures..but its worth it.

Top Bottom