After deleting system/app space doesn't increase

DFC

Broken In
Guys,

i have a hcl tablet which doesn't have google play service. I rooted the tabled, now when i am coping the app to system/app there is no space only 38mb free, google play service is 40mb.

I deleted some apps from the system/app folder, but the space doesn't increase. I have deleted 2 apps but storage doesn't change.

Please advice what to do in this case.

Last edited:

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
As you have root, the first thing to do would be to get a real space occupation picture using root mode of DiskUsage application. Only then you could know where is the space being eaten and how to fix it.

OP
D

DFC

Broken In
Guys you haven't understood my question. I deleted system app but space doesn't increase.
I want to put the google play service apk into the system/app folder, size is 40mb. Right now i have 38mb in system/app folder, i deleted the default browser which was 2.8mb. But space doesn't change even after deleting, its still 38mb.
When i copy the google play service apk into the system/app folder it shows space error. So how to get that space from the app i deleted?
Hope you guys understood my question?

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
You would need a little more free space.

Find out which system application is occupying maximum space using DiskUsage.

Then talk.

OP
D

DFC

Broken In
Guys check the system space its only 38.3mb, how to increase that space. Note there is no external SD card. Total internal storage is 4gb.

*s28.postimg.org/8pvdohgnx/Screenshot_2016-04-11-15-45-26.png

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
Guys check the system space its only 38.3mb, how to increase that space. Note there is no external SD card. Total internal storage is 4gb.

Dear sir,
Did you not read what was written above?

The program you have used only gives total space used/free. In order to know how to free up space, we need to know what is occupying space and could be safely removed.

Hence I request you to kindly use the program called DiskUsage and show the screenshot from there. Please use the ROOT REQUIRED option.

Link to the program - DiskUsage – Android Apps on Google Pla

OP
D

DFC

Broken In
*i.imgur.com/gWxj6mC.png

*i.imgur.com/KWFUfVB.png

*i.imgur.com/0gfzHzq.png

*i.imgur.com/vofy9bx.png

*i.imgur.com/ty1tUbt.png

Guys here are the screenshots. Please advice what to do next.

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
We need to know the space usage inside /system.

Please open DiskUsage.

Now you will see a View menu popped up with a list of choices.
At the very bottom is [Root required].
Please select that and then a new list will appear.
Now scroll down to /system.

Now post the resulting screen.

Also for Diskinfo:

Go to Settings. Put a checkbox for Show mount path then post another screenshot.

OP
D

DFC

Broken In
*i.imgsafe.org/8d527f2.png
*i.imgsafe.org/8f67a55.png
*i.imgsafe.org/93a1603.png
*i.imgsafe.org/94277e3.png
*i.imgsafe.org/9803ab1.png
*i.imgsafe.org/96c8f1c.png
*i.imgsafe.org/967dfbf.png
*i.imgsafe.org/9473026.png
*i.imgsafe.org/98f15f6.png

I can't find this > Go to Settings. Put a checkbox for Show mount path then post another screenshot.
It it setting for that app or android setting? BTW i check both but can't find such option.

I posted another ss of diskinfo app which has same information. System 38.3mb free.

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
In the top right corner there is a three dot icon. Usually that is for additional options or Settings in Android.

The option I had mentioned is in there.

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl

I can't find this > Go to Settings. Put a checkbox for Show mount path then post another screenshot.
It it setting for that app or android setting? BTW i check both but can't find such option.

I posted another ss of diskinfo app which has same information. System 38.3mb free.

It is not in the operating system. I was talking about Diskinfo.
Look at the top right corner. There is a vertical 3 dot icon. Click on it. It will lead to Settings.

- - - Updated - - -

*i.imgsafe.org/8f67a55.png

This is the safest area to tinker in the /system partition provided we know what we are doing.

So please look into the size of individual contents of this /system/app. Settings and Launcher are two things we cannot remove safely. I am not sure if com.android.vending is Play Store or something else.

You need to check the size of top 15 items individually. They will progressively be smaller top to bottom.

Even though Play Services is only 40 MB you would need some extra space to install it say 50 MB. So we need to free up an additional 12 - 15 MB. We are looking for unwanted hence safe to remove applications. Sometimes if there is an associated library and it gets removed then it is an added bonus.

Do you have an SD card slot?

OP
D

DFC

Broken In
*i.imgsafe.org/542be85.png
*i.imgsafe.org/54f18f8.png

I don't have a SD card. Is it possible to allocate more space to system partion? Actually there is no more app to delete because i had formated the tablet and already deleted a few apps. All files are mostly main android system files.

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
So let us say that it is not possible to create further space. (I still feel you will be able to free up the space after looking through the whole list of installed apps)

Google uses a trick to update the system apps without touching them actually. It uses the installed applications as a sort of pointer and then installs the actual updates in the user applications area. This will eat up space there but still would be better than not being able to get Play Services at all.

So now we have to find out an older version of Play Services that can fit into your 38 MB. As you are using a tablet and ICS, I suspect this could work as it is only 18 MB or so Dev-Host - Google Play Services 4.4.52 (1174655-030).apk
[Please read this page [APK Compendium] Google Play Services 4.4.52 for All Densities, and the Rest of This Week's Update for the reasoning behind selecting this version.

Once you have an older version successfully installed, it will prompt you to update by itself.

OP
D

DFC

Broken In
I think i have got another problem. I understood why the system space doesn't increase after deleting the app in system/app, i did a mistake, i was deleting the apps in r/o, the same thing i did in r/w mode the app got deleted and the space got recovered. Check the screenshot from 3.89mb to 24.38mb.

*i.imgsafe.org/64e65b9.png
*i.imgsafe.org/66b3047.png
*i.imgsafe.org/6831e3e.png

Do you have any clue where this app is stored in r/o mode? It is not 100% deleted that much is confirmed, but where did it go after deleting because its still occupying space.

Now space reduced to 24.4mb because i deleted the google play service in r/o mode, space reduce from 38mb to 24mb.

*i.imgsafe.org/ce5067c.png

And the google play service didn't work, here is the screenshot.
I copied it in the system/app folder and restarted but nothing happend. I even tried to install it directly but it didn't work.
I installed the 160 DPI version, according to cupz its 160 DPI. Maybe it requires the latest version to work.

*i.imgsafe.org/c70b725.png

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
It might have installed libraries into /system/lib and those are still hanging there taking up space.

Now the reason why Play Services is not launching could be because of lack of proper libraries. (you did say that your tablet did not have Play Store earlier but I had not considered that)

To amend that you probably need to flash something like this from recovery to get all required files gapps-ics-20120422-signed.zip | by SiteOwner for Generic Devic

Last edited:
Top Bottom