Advise on external HDD which is reliable and safe

iamzero

Broken In
Hi all,

I am planning to buy external Hard disks to ensure safety of my data.

My requirements are basically of those which i can good ASS (Hopefully i never want to need that) and those which are reliable and durable for long term purpose. Basically i want to copy data and forget it there, but don't want to open it sometime and see everything gone.

I am looking for buying 2TB and 1 TB each with budget around 8500 and 4500 respectively.

I am getting SONY 2TB for around 8000 from a dealer just to add. Apart from that i had a look on WD, but have found that though having good ASS, there drives tend to fail, which basically means loss of data which i definitely can't afford.

Anyone to advise, how should i go forward on this? Any experience, any advises would be more than welcome. I want durability and realibility and can extend my budget a little bit for it.

I have pinned down on sony, because of less failure. Look forward for your advise.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
sony hdds are rebranded versions of seagate hdds. anyways, you can get them for lower than the dealer quoted price if you buy them online.
1 TB ~ 3.5k
2 TB ~ 6.5k

+ to WD. Seagate gave me a refurbished piece after RMA'ing a 1 TB expansion.

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
go for wd my passport ultra. You will not know when your hdd is going to die, what comes to rescue will be a better after sale service.

OP
I

iamzero

Broken In
WD passport is a excellent choice as far as the product and ASS is concerned.

so guys you suggest to go for WD, right?

The only concern i am having for online sales is again the same dreaded fear of warranty. I have heard claims being rejected just due to being an online purchase..

Second thing, is guys, if you have anything to tell, please do tell me and advise the best, as frankly speaking i can't afford both: loosing data and again wasting money.

Thats why i am asking you, i can increase the budget to 1k more, but want the best thing and original as well. while buying online, especially HDD, i am really doubtful to them being refurbished piece.

So waiting for your reply and what you guys do.. the reason for WD doubt is of hearing reports about drive failing constantly.. i know their ASS is best in terms of HDD..but a product should be reliable as well

$hadow

Geek in making
You see buy it from a authorized re-seller like WS Retail or so to avoid any type of misunderstanding or rejection. Plus WD RMA is the best from my point of view never had any problem ever.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
for hdd, it is always better to buy from a local shop rather than online.

I disagree. Local shops ridiculously overprice things here. 1 TB seagate expansion for 5k :mad: which goes for 3.5-3.6k online with official warranty. 2 tb desktop version for 8.5k which i purchased for 5.3k in June. :mad:

@OP you can check the warranty just after receiving the hdd online. If the serial no is declined (rarely happens), simply return it or ask for replacement.

vidhubhushan

Alakh Niranjan
after using many brands and losing data in almost all (except wd which i have not till now), i firmly believe that there is nothing like RELIABILITY as far as HDDs are concerned. one just needs to handle them carefully and have trust in god. apart from that, go for the brand that has best ASS and hope for the best :D

$hadow

Geek in making
^^ depends on the shops. some shops offers good deals. even i bought mine online.

Considering the place where I live. I am better of buying anything above 3k online since I can sometimes see a price fluctuations of about 500 to 800 bucks on a petty 4k purchase.

I'm user of Seagate freeagent drive 500gb for past 5 year, dropped times still working fine.
It never faced service centre of seagate.

Source: Personal Xp

OP
I

iamzero

Broken In
Hi.

Sorry for bumping this up. I finally got time to do a purchase. Can anyone share me the best deal links or private message if not allowed to post here :

For Wd 1tb & 2tb my passport ultra (preferrable Amazon & Flipkart)
Mode: Cod/SBI debit card

izzikio_rage

Technomancer
Yup, i'm also going to have to get a new disk soon. So would love some advise. Here are the options i'm considering

Amazon.in: Buy WD My Passport Ultra 1TB Portable External Hard Drive (Black) Online at Low Prices in India | WD Reviews & Ratings

Transcend StoreJet 25H3P 2.5 inch 1 TB External Hard Disk - Transcend : Flipkart.com

I like the transcend more due to the ruggedness, however not sure how good their after sales support is. Some of the reviews said that transcend has stopped servicing in India.

Last edited:

$hadow

Geek in making
Go for WD man it is worth your money and their cloud security software is certainly a big plus.

REDHOTIRON2004

Journeyman
Avoid transend at all cost. There ASS is the worst. WD have the best ASS but quality wise they aren't as good. External drives should always be rugged. As they are meant to be taken outside, not always in protective covering. AFAIK WD doesn't have any rugged external drive.
After searching a lot I got myself a 1tb adata hd710. Which is a rugged drive and the ASS is OK. Also, there quality is much better than wd drives. I tested the adata one by throwing it on the floor from 4 foot and not even a scratch. They are also supposed to be waterproof.
But, I didn't found the courage to test them! :-D

izzikio_rage

Technomancer
What is this ASS that everyone is talking about.

Also i would never have the courage to throw an HDD much less put it in water

Will go for the western digital ultra passport drive then.

ashs1

Padawan
What is this ASS that everyone is talking about.

Also i would never have the courage to throw an HDD much less put it in water

Will go for the western digital ultra passport drive then.
ASS stands for After Sales Services..
Unless he meant it the other way, which means booty

$hadow

Geek in making
With WD the service and after sales experience is extremely great when compared to other manufacturers.

Top Bottom