Advise on building 2.0 + subwoofer system

Advise on combining 2.0 and subwoofer

Hello Guys,

I was considering good 2.1 system at around 10-12k budget, but sadly there are not many available with good quality. I ordered Edifier s530, but they said that now its not available. I cant see any reliable and good 2.1 system now. I was considering Klipsch promedia 2.1(unreliable), AL mx6021(lacking midrange), Swans m20(costly, low power), corsair sp2500(costly, lacking midragne) but all have some flaws. 2.0+sub would shoot my budget upwards, however most likely it would also result in better SQ. So I am considering it.
Now I am considering combination of good 2.0 and adding a sub latter. However, I am confused about two things -

1. Is it easy to combine a subwoofer with a good quality 2.0(like swans D1080 or M-audio av40)? Would ANY good sub and ANY good 2.0 blend together well(like one should not overpower the other) and easily(without equalizer changes)? Which things I need to consider for combining? What about the crossover frequency, would impedance matter?

2. Are good subs available in India? Where? I can see velodyne, BIC, polk subs starting at 10k+ which is ok for me. But I have not checked out any(so dont know the final price with shipping). Are good subs available here which cost <15k rs?

Any past experiences, current setup comments are welcome.
PS - I have creative EP 630 earplug, sennheiser HD280 headphone and JBL GT series speakers in my car. I would like to have my speakers to be of better(or at least comparable) quality then these gears.

Last edited:

High-Fidelity

Journeyman
@theredcommando

I guess www.edifier.co.in website has been shut down so I guess edifier has stopped selling their speakers in India - This is what I am feeling and thinking.

Klipsch promedia 2.1: Not available in India, you will need to source it from outside and it is only available in 120v. So no warranty in India also.

AL MX6021 isn't even half has good as it's predecessor MX5021.
Swans M20W - Well This speaker set is from a well reputed brand, no need of introduction for this brand. Low power
Corsair SP2500 - Yes This speaker lacks in mid-range and I am quite sure that this speaker is not as musical as AL MX5021. If you don't know so the drivers of Corsair SP2500 is not designed by the corsair. It has been designed by the "Eastech Electronics". Telling you in case if you don't know.

Swans M20W - You said, it's low-powered, well even Altec Lansing MX5021 were only 90W RMS total it was the well acclaimed speakers till now. AL Mx6021 is 200W RMS and it is inferior before MX5021 in SQ. So don't judge the quality by the wattage rating. Swans M10 is low-powered system before AL-MX5021 and it rivals MX5021 in SQ.

Good subs don't come 10k-20k mark. If you go to the market so good subs costs around 30-50k mark. I am here talking about musical sub-woofer, not the ones who do boom boom.

For more: you can audition velodyne subs and see if you like them.

REL subs are extremely musical subs but they cost so much around 80k-1L or more.

OP
T

theredcommando

Broken In
Regarding M20W, I am not very impressed with -
Frequency Range : 118Hz-20kHz(-6dB)
-6dB is huge, I presume, that this is because lack of tweeters.

Looking at the shear cost, I think 10-15k subs would be definitely better than any 2.1 sub.

I am not judging SQ by wattage. But I do want good volume to fill the room and occasionally for movies. Also If I am shelling out this much, then I do want some high power sound(M20 is acceptable but definitely not M10).

Keeping 2.1 aside, any suggestion on combining issues?

High-Fidelity

Journeyman
I would like to recommend you that first buy speakers and see if you feel the lack of bass so you can always buy sub-woofer.

Between swans and M-audio, I prefer you swans because of the bigger drivers, and more power output. If you feel the lack of bass even in swans so you can buy sub-woofer anytime. But firstly buy the speakers.

Wharfedale DIAMOND 10.SX is the very good sub-woofer, it will cost you around 20k mark.

OP
T

theredcommando

Broken In
Yes. That's why I have started this thread. Is it easy to combine woofer and 2.0? Would any 2.0 blend with any woofer? etc

If thats not the case OR if good/blending subs are not in budget or available then I would probably go for 2.1 instead...

PS : I am more impressed with Swans D1080 than M20W

High-Fidelity

Journeyman
Just to help you lil bit more, A guy have both the speakers M-Audio AV40 and Swans D1080MK2 and read what he said(Post no.3214), You will also notice that Swans are very very well acclaimed speakers in the market:

Swan Owner's Thread - Page 108 - AVS Forum

One guy compared both AE5 and Swans D1080 as he has both the speakers with him. I just saved it in my notepad when I was searching for the speakers and he said:

Having owned both Audioengine A5 and Swan D1010MKII 08,

I believe both will deliver very good performance when it comes to music.

They sound good with any kind of music genre.

The A5 has a slightly warmer sound and rounder tone, while the Swan is slightly more analytical and has more treble energy.

And I do think the drum sounds phenomenal from the Swan (with crisp and good impact), while the A5 has slightly deeper bass due to the speaker size.

Swans M200MK3 model blows AudioEngine A5 out of the water in performance.
Edifier, Audioengine, M-Audio and other brands are in India from quite a many years whereas swans were not and hence you are underestimating the swans.

Top Bottom