advise for upgarding my PC

ajooba215

Journeyman
okay...first of all here is my pc config
Proc:- E2140(1.6ghz)
Ram:- 1 gb ddr2
GPU:- nvidia 9600gt
MB:- jetway 945GCM

i know its outdated and i wanna upgrade my pc now to be able to play some of the latest games. I wont say m a hardcore gamer but would prefer playing at medium config. Now i would like to know if i upgrade my ram+1gb and a processor that would fit fine in the present config, would that do my job? I am trying to avoid changing my MB too. Any suggestion is welcomed as m just trying to avoid it, i would buy a new one if i could get a drastic change by doing it..

macho84

Ambassador of Buzz
Hi Post your budget. But Adding ram wont do the needfull as its just boost the load time of the game if enough ram then the in and out of HDD write will be little. And for the a decent gaming you need a good combination of proccy and gpu. If good gpu then good psu. All these combination with little bit of ram say 2-4gb will do the needfull I would say that it would depend on what your budget. But this mb dont have much offer on upgrade suggest changing the setup or stick with it until you had a decent budget say 20+

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
Yes, Post your budget and please fill this too-
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/pc-components-configurations/128247-pc-build-questionnaire-template.html

OP
ajooba215

ajooba215

Journeyman
okay here is the quistonaire

1. What is the purpose of the computer? (Note: If you are planning to say multimedia, you will have to be more specific as all types of systems are capable of doing that)
A: Mid level gaming

2. Are you open to alternate ideas/products giving similar better performance but offering more VFM/ sellers? If not- why?
A:eek:fcourse

3. What is your MAX budget?
A: 10k(for proc, ram and MB if the present wont do..can go a couple of grands up or low

4. Planning to overclock?
A: i already have OCed my 9600GT

5. Which OS are you planning to use?
A: Windows 7

6. How much hard drive space is needed?
A: I am planning to keep my HDD and not upgrade it

7. What resolution will the screen run at & whats the size of the screen you want? If you already want have one and want to use it, mention its resolution and size.
A: 1024*768

8. How would you rate your hardware knowledge from the count of 1-10? (1 being the lowest, 5 being you are somewhat in sync with the current performers and 10 being the highest)
A: 6

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
A: yes

10. When are you planning to buy the system?
A: ASAP

11. Are you one of the types looking out for "future proof" configurations?
A: Nope, m just trying to upgrade just to play some games for a while...say for some months...i'd go for full frontal upgrade once i get a bigger screen

12. Are there going to be any components that you don't want to include in this new rig? If yes, do mention.
A: m planning for ram and proc upgradation (i might think of changing my MB too)

13. Which city do you live in and are you open to buying from shops from other city/states?
A: Hoshiarpur, Punjab n yes..i can put online orders too

14. Mention any other points if deemed necessary
A:

Tenida

Gadget Freak
AMD Athlon II X4 645-5k
Asus M5A78L-M LX-2.7k
Gskill 4 GB DDR3 RAM-1.6k
Total-Rs 9.3K

Last edited:
OP
ajooba215

ajooba215

Journeyman
But dude..running Nvidia GPU on asus and amd config...is it really recommended? coz i read smwhere nvdidia GPUs run best with intel processors and chipsets.

Techguy

In the zone
The wont be much of a problem
You will have to syick with AMD if you want performance at a low price!

SlashDK

MV VIP to the MAX
If OP's willing to spend 1k more he can get:

AMD Phenom ii x4 955BE @ 5.75k
Asus M5A78L-M-LX PLUS @ 3.25k

OP
ajooba215

ajooba215

Journeyman
If OP's willing to spend 1k more he can get:

AMD Phenom ii x4 955BE @ 5.75k
Asus M5A78L-M-LX PLUS @ 3.25k

sure buddy...if 1k can bring enough daylight b/w the performaces in both the combos suggested..i wud surely go for it..

okay..there is MB 'Biostar N68S' which has NVIDIA GeForce 7025 onboard GPU..now tell me if m wrong but wont the onboard GPU+my own geforce 9600 gt enhance the gaming performance. Though this MB supports only ddr2 memories...but if i could get athlon x2 or x4 along with the MB..will it make a good deal?

Cilus

laborare est orare
ajooba215, you are wrong completely. 1st of all nVidia N68S chipset does not support Hybrid SLI where your onboard GPU can work together with added Gfx card to enhance the performance. Even if could support it, Hybrid SLi won't work in your case as it works only with the very low wnd GPU like 8400GS, 9400GT etc.
2ndly N68 is a very old chipset, originally designed for AM2 processors and support AM3 processors through BIOS update. So plugging an AM3 CPU on it will make its HT link to be downclocked to HT 1.0; also features like Advanced Clock Calibration or ACC and advanced overclocking are not available here. And why the hell you wanna a new DDR2 based mobo now? There are cheap N68S based DDR3 mobos from MSI, Gigabyte, BIOSTAR, available around 2K price.

OP
ajooba215

ajooba215

Journeyman
As i said..i was aware of the ddr2 platform..but neverthless...thas the explanation i wanted as i was unware of the technicalties..n i noticed there wasnt SLI available..thx for ur advice

Can i buy ASUS M4N68T-M LE V2....as it is available on ebay..if there is not much diff b/w Asus M5A78L? with athlon x4 or x2

Top Bottom