Advice required for a mid-range PC for development work

Vignesh B

Youngling
1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans: A desktop for home to carry on with software development and some entertainment. Almost 0 gaming would be done.

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans: 35k. I would be reusing my monitor, cabinet, HDD, PSU(I've a CM 650 Extreme Power Plus. I know about its horrible reviews. But, if it can suffice for me, I can reuse it.), keyboard, mouse, speakers.

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: No

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: Windows 10 Pro with a couple of VMs.

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans: I have a 1TB HDD and a 120GB Samsung EVO SSD. Will 120GB be sufficient for the OS and some programs?

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans: No. I have a BenQ G2420HHD (1920 X 1080)

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: Monitor, cabinet, keyboard, mouse, speakers.

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: Within a week. My current motherboard just died.

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: I would be assembling it myself.

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: Open for both online or offline ( Chennai, Mumbai and Roorkee)

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: I was planning for this configuration :
Core i5 6500
Gigabyte GA-H170-D3HP
2 X 8 GB RAM (Models not yet sure)
I guess, I won't be needing a dedicated GPU. If it is really required, I can go with an entry level one like the GTX 950 or even the older GTX 750TI.
Also, can I reuse the PSU?

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Budget-35k

Intel Core i5 6500 -14800,
Gigabyte H170-D3H -9500,
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8GBx2) 2400Mhz DDR4 -5200,
MSI GTX 750Ti 2GB -9500.
Total -37.5k

Sent from my ASUS_T00K using Tapatalk

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Core i5 6500
Gigabyte GA-H170-D3HP
2 X 8 GB RAM (Models not yet sure)

Also, can I reuse the PSU?
This would roughly cost about 31k. If your PSU is working well, re use it. Else, go for a reliable PSU. For this build, a 430w is sufficient. Check Seasonic S12 II Bronze 430W, costs about 4500/-.

OP
V

Vignesh B

Youngling
Thank you guys for your suggestions.
I've ordered the following from a local dealer -
Intel Core i5 6500 -15200,
Gigabyte H170-D3H -10000,
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8GBx2) 2133Mhz DDR4 -5000

Since, the PSU is working fine as of now, I've decided to stick with it.
If ever the need arises and I feel like to game, I can always pop in a GPU and a PSU!

saikiasunny

Ambassador of Buzz
You are not going to overclock then why to invest in an expensive h170 motherboard. All you need is One PCIe slot, minimum 4 sata ports, some USB ports.

No matter how much you think of "upgrading" the PC, you are never going to do it. Just let that sink for some moment and think if you are actually going to need all the additional features provided by the h170 board?

If possible cancel the order and see if you can downgrade the motherboard.

Top Bottom