^(*)^ Advice Needed ^(*)^

Status
Not open for further replies.

m-jeri

Caballero de Real Madrid
i am.....

and i do favour canon for their exquisite EOS and rebel range....and casio's super slim exilim or exislim range....i do use one for casul photography...fits right in my pocket... :)

Last edited:

prasad_den

Padawan
Hey bro, now I'm confused between Panasonic FZ18 & Olympus 570

Specs wise Olympus 570 is very good in that it offers real wide zoom, has a larger LCD, more MP, etc.. but the few things which are in favour of FZ18 are the battery type and the memory card type.
Battery in FZ18 is Li ion which I feel is much better than the 4 AA batteries in 570. You need to carry an extra set of 4 AAs and a charger always, and flash recycle times are poorer in AAs.
xD memory cards are way too costly compared to SD cards that the FZ18 uses. SD cards are dirt cheap.. you get a 2GB one for less than 400 bucks..
These 2 factors are very important to me. And quality of pics is equally good in both. So I'll recommend a FZ18 if you do not need the extra MP and wide zoom.

OP
power_8383

power_8383

Eager to learn.
R u sure that I'll not regret after buying FZ18 ?
As I'm from middle class family, I cant even dream of buying a digital camera for atleast 4-5 years after buying this. :(

Is there a lot of difference in zooming between 20X and 18X ?

What are the pros and cons of both cameras ?

prasad_den

Padawan
R u sure that I'll not regret after buying FZ18 ?
As I'm from middle class family, I cant even dream of buying a digital camera for atleast 4-5 years after buying this. :(

Is there a lot of difference in zooming between 20X and 18X ?

What are the pros and cons of both cameras ?
Pros and cons I've mentioned already that I know.. Check some professional review sites like dpreview.com or steves-digicams.com to find out more info. And the extra 2x zoom hardly makes any difference.. really..!! If you want, you can always add a macro lens and a tele lens to your kit by spending around 1000 bucks each.. And don't worry, most of us here including me are from middle class families and our suggestions come out of goodwill, so that you get the best product.. (Of course, there are some fanboys in this forum, but that doesn't apply to photography.. :D )

Now go check the review sites.. then go to the shop and try and get a demo for each and then decide..
And believe me, 4 AA batteries are too much.. if you can live with lugging around 4 AAs and a bulky charger, then ignore this aspect. And for memory cards, I just checked out and found that a SDHC 2GB card with bill costs around 690 rs, while a xD 1GB card is around 1100 bucks..

My bet is still with the FZ18.. Get it.. you won't regret it..!

Also search for "olympus 570 or panasonic FZ18" in google. :D

Here are some pros and cons I got now:

Olympus SP-570
Pros:
• 10MP
• 20x zoom (26mm – 520mm)
• Wide Angle
• Hot shoe for attaching external flash
• 13.5 frames per sec continuous shooting
• RAW file format
• Sensor = 1 / 2.33” slighlty larger but accomodates more pixels

Cons:
• New technology so not much info on the net about how it performs
• XD memory only
• Slightly heavier than the Panasonic (445g vs 407g)
• Slightly more expensive than the Panasonic
• 4 AA battery
• Video res = 640 x 480 30fps (which still isn’t bad at all!)

Panasonic DMC-FZ18
Pros:
• 8MP is still great
• 18x zoom (28mm – 504mm)
• Wide Angle
• Some really great reviews on this camera available online with many people loving it
• Li-on battery
• SD+SDHC ready
• Awesome video mode (16:9 Aspect Ratio: 848 x 480 pixels 30 fps)

Cons:
• Sensor = 1 / 2.5” but with lesser pixels - so might be a pro after all..
• Not as wide as the Olympus
• Not as big zoom as the Olympus
• No hot shoe

Last edited:
OP
power_8383

power_8383

Eager to learn.
I've checked all the sites, forums for reviews & analysis etc before crating this thread. :)

u r right I've also noticed the difference between price of those memory cards.

I've asked the same question at many different forums and 7 out of 10 are suggesting me to purchase FZ18.

I hope 2x optical zoom wont make a big difference :(

Thnx again for your precious reply brother. :)

prasad_den

Padawan
I've checked all the sites, forums for reviews & analysis etc before crating this thread. :)

u r right I've also noticed the difference between price of those memory cards.

I've asked the same question at many different forums and 7 out of 10 are suggesting me to purchase FZ18.

I hope 2x optical zoom wont make a big difference :(

Thnx again for your precious reply brother. :)
Make that 8 out of 11 :D Get an FZ18.. the extra 2 x zoom doesn't make much dfference, and as I mentioned earlier, you can always add more lenses.. I will definitely go for FZ18 if given a choice..

BTW, I have a FZ8 that I purchased recently, and I can assure you that it is an excellent cam. I couldn't go for a FZ18 due to budget constraints :(

OP
power_8383

power_8383

Eager to learn.
By the way

battery Li-Ion Or 4 x AA
Which will u prefer ?

How many shots can I get with fully charged 4*AA ?

prasad_den

Padawan
By the way

battery Li-Ion Or 4 x AA
Which will u prefer ?

How many shots can I get with fully charged 4*AA ?
Of course Li ion..that weighed heavily in my decision to get a FZ8 rather than Canon Sx100 or the Fuji S8000fd. I'm not sure how many photos you'll get from 4AAs but my previous Canon A75 used to give me around 150 pics with 2700 mAH NiMH cells. With the Li ion I'm getting around 350 pics with a single charge on my FZ8, and that includes frequent reviewing and zooming.
Generally Li ion is better because you get more pics, and most importantly the flash recycle time is very less here. On the down side, it costs more.
AA batteries are available anywhere, but don't expect more than 10 pics from an ordinary AA, and probably not more than 30 to 40 from a Duracell. If you want to settle for the Olympus then get yourself 2 sets of AA batteries from the Sanyo Eneloop series. they last more..!

OP
power_8383

power_8383

Eager to learn.
my previous Canon A75 used to give me around 150 pics with 2700 mAH NiMH cells. With the Li ion I'm getting around 350 pics with a single charge on my FZ8, and that includes frequent reviewing and zooming.

:eek:

This is a big plus point yaar, going in the favor of FZ18.
I'm being attracted more n more towards FZ18 now.

prasad_den

Padawan
:eek:

This is a big plus point yaar, going in the favor of FZ18.
I'm being attracted more n more towards FZ18 now.
I keep repeating this again and again.. Get the FZ18.. you won't regret it.. :D
But if you have the option of holding both the FZ18 and the 570UZ in your hands and having a demo, then you'll feel more comfortable in your decision. Ultimately, its you who's gonna use it, and you must feel comfortable holding the cam and clicking pics. :D And really, the FZ18 rocks..

OP
power_8383

power_8383

Eager to learn.
Yes, after reading ur replies & chking lots of other forums and sites, I came to know that Olympus has only 2x advantage over FZ18

So it is now 80% of chances that I'll buy FZ18

I hope I wont regret after buying it :(

OP
power_8383

power_8383

Eager to learn.
Bro, I had contacted to JJMehta Guys asking which is the best megazoom camera and its price.
They said that Panasonic DMC FZ18 is the best bridge camera available today and its price is 28,000 :)

is this price right ?

prasad_den

Padawan
Bro, I had contacted to JJMehta Guys asking which is the best megazoom camera and its price.
They said that Panasonic DMC FZ18 is the best bridge camera available today and its price is 28,000 :)

is this price right ?
28K is way too costly for an FZ18..!! It should not cost you more than 20K with bill. A grey piece can be obtained for about 16 to 17K.. If you are in Mumbai, try Alfa..!

OP
power_8383

power_8383

Eager to learn.
Do they have any website or e-mail address ro contact on ?
By the way I must tell u that I've never seen such an active member on Digit's forum.

You rock bro.

I'll give u a party when I buy my first Digicam :D

prasad_den

Padawan
Do they have any website or e-mail address ro contact on ?
By the way I must tell u that I've never seen such an active member on Digit's forum.

You rock bro.

I'll give u a party when I buy my first Digicam :D

Alfa doesn't have any website... Go directly there.. BTW where are you from..?

And Thanks for the compliment.. There are so many other active members in Digit, but each one has his own interests and restrictions. The only reason I could help you out so much is that I myself purchased a FZ8 3 weeks ago, and I had researched for almost 4 months before that to come to a conclusion.. I am just passing on what little knowledge I had gained then.. :) I'm happy its of benefit to you..!

Reg the party, :D waiting for it..!!

OP
power_8383

power_8383

Eager to learn.
Its indeed a benefit for me bro. :)

by the way, I'm from Nanded district of Maharashtra state. (2nd largest in Marathwada Region after Aurangabad.)

I cant goto Mumbai just for inquiry of a product. :(

prasad_den

Padawan
Its indeed a benefit for me bro. :)

by the way, I'm from Nanded district of Maharashtra state. (2nd largest in Marathwada Region after Aurangabad.)

I cant goto Mumbai just for inquiry of a product. :(
Try to get the help of some other forum members here who are from Mumbai.. may be they can find out the price and let you know.. Otherwise if you have decided to get the cam for sure, make a trip directly to Mumbai.. Just in case you didn't know - Take a slow local train in Mumbai to get down at Ville Parle, and then take an auto to Alfa.. You won't have any problems getting the cam there.. You can also look at both FZ18 and 570UZ and decide which one to buy..
P.S: Alfa doesn't accept credit cards or debit cards for obvious reasons, so you need to take the cash in hand..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom