Advice needed on choosing the right career path for a friend.

quicky008

Technomancer
There's a friend of mine who happens to be a MCA graduate and is nearly 30 years old.He aspired to be a software developer,but after completing his mca in 2015 he was finding it difficult to get any jobs in this field,so he decided to undertake a course in php development from a shady kolkata based institute called freshers india in the hope that it might help him improve his prospects to a great extent-at that institute he was brainwashed into thinking that being a php developer is a lucrative profession and it will help him land a great job shortly after the completion of this course.

But unfortunately,even after spending a lot of time and money on his training from that institute,he was unable to get any decent jobs-he was offered the position of trainee developer at some companies in kolkata but their pay-scales were so poor and their work schedules so grueling and difficult(5-6k per month for 9-10 hrs of work daily) that he found it impossible to accept any of them.He says had he realized earlier how dismal the state of php developers is in kolkata right now(esp. for freshers),he never would have wasted so much of his valuable time & efforts on learning php in the 1st place.

Now he's totally frustrated and disillusioned and is trying desperately to look for alternate career options-he wants to know will he find it easier to get a reasonably well-paying job if he tries to go for android development or learns big-data/hadoop?What's the demand in the market like for these languages as compared to php at the moment?He was asking me for advice in this regard but as i hardly have any experience in this field,i decided to pose his queries here.So if anyone here has any information that my friend may find useful,please share it in this thread-he'll be very grateful if for your help.

anuragingle

Broken In
If your friend is stupid enough to do a php course from freshers india and expect big bucks, theres no way you can help him. First ask him he if wants a career in programming, if yes ask him to do a course in core programming like c, .net, sql etc and start his career again. If hes interested in something else like sales, admin etc ask him to search for a job in that specific field and tell him not to expect a good salary at least for 3-4 years

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk

TheSloth

The Slowest One
Android and big data are good options. But I wont suggest for big data as there are only few companies who are taking freshers in hadoop development or analytics after a course certificate. its quite easier to find a job if one is having a official hadoop certificate(like OCJP for Java), compare to having a normal course completion certificate from some institute. The certification costs from 18K i guess, and 15K+ for a course(here in bangalore). I have heard courses are cheaper in Hyderabad but crowd is also huge.
If your friend can afford then he should go for hadoop cause its a new techniology and competition is less right now (unlike Java). Android is also not a bad option but its all about how much one is willing to give. He needs to learn programming language's basics first. but, I don't know whats the market status of android.

How about learning Javascript, CSS and all? then proceed to learn frameworks like Angular JS, Node JS(in demand right now). These all are used in Web applications.

PS : All the information above is not my personal experience. I came to know these things through my friends and contacts.

OP
quicky008

quicky008

Technomancer
^Thanks to both of you for lending me your valuable advice and suggestions-my friend told me today that he's received a job offer from a company for the post of "it marketing coordinator"-however he has no idea about the nature of work that he'll have to do as a marketing coordinator and is wondering whether he's likely to face any problems or not in the long run if he decides to take this job.Can anyone shed some light on what the duties and responsibilities of a marketing coordinator are likely to be and whether there are any potential drawbacks or hazards in this line of work or not?My friend says he wishes to take this job on a temporary basis and later make the switch to software development when he gets a suitable opportunity(preferably in java or any other related programming stream).

anuragingle

Broken In
Thts a bad idea. Ask him to make enquiries and decide which programming language he wants to take up like C, Java, SQL etc and then try to find a job in that field. If he can afford it take a break for 6 months, join a good training institute to learn the language and then start searching for a job

satinder

DELHIITE
Marketing Coordinator is a job for failed software students who are poor at software front.
This job is just to co ordinate between a customer and the software developer.
If he is good in selling then go and make this a career option. But this is a last step / option in software field.
He can't do software development in this job.
If he want to be pure software engineer then follow a line.
Data has promising future.
Just have a good course and get a starting job.
Some suggestions are also good in above posts.

anky

Youngling
He can learn any programming language from any good institute or by himself. There are plenty of good study materials available. He can learn java and get a job as a fresher in many companies, there are usually mass hiring for Java fresher's specially in Bangalore. of course, starting salary will not be good (can expect minimum of 2.5 lakhs per annum), but it will be increased greatly if he performs well and master his skills.

OP
quicky008

quicky008

Technomancer
Thanks to all of you for your support and guidance-i'll certainly pass on your suggestions to him and i'm sure he'll find them to be of great help in planning his career.Many of you have recommended that he should utilize some time in learning a programming language so that he can get a decent job as a developer-when i told him about this he said that he no longer wishes to be a php/web programmer as from his brief stint in this field he's realized that there's hardly any scope for growth or progression in this profession and the salaries,even for experienced web programmers are usually on the lower side.

So now he says he wishes to learn either advanced java or android programming-he's more interested in the former as he's under the impression that there's more scope for advancement in one's career if he/she becomes a java programmer.However what worries him is the fact that even if he takes a short break and tries to learn a new programming language like java/android on his own or at some institute,will he face any difficulties in getting a job as a fresher due to his age(he's 30 yrs old right now).Will companies that recruit freshers consider him ineligible for the position of a junior developer as he's 30 yrs old?

Please let me know what you guys think of my friend's predicament-he has been very worried of late.

anuragingle

Broken In
He will get a job but in a smaller company and at a low salary initially, after he has 2-3 years of relevant experience then he can start negotiating his salary

Top Bottom