Advice for buying a new Desktop PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rollercoaster

-The BlacKCoaT Operative-
Hi

I am seeking some advice about buying a new desktop. I mainly need it for running Oracle and Virtual machines (VMware or some other virtulization stuff). So i am looking for a good configuration. After some RnD i have decided to go for assembled one as a high end branded desktop ll burn a pretty big hole in the pocket. I have been thinking about buying a Quad core processor with some good board, 2 500 GB HDDs in RAID0 config, 6-8 GB RAM and 19-20 " LCD.

Any advice regarding any of the parts or a suggestion about some good config is welcome. And if anyone is aware of some reliable and good shop in nehru place,delhi where i can get the whole stuff.

Thanks in advance
(Posted from my Friend's account...)

Last edited:
OP
Rollercoaster

Rollercoaster

It has been pretty long since i was in touch with all this hardware stuff. So having not much idea about the latest prices.

But my estimate is around 35k. Just an estimate !

Thanks

Cilus

laborare est orare
You are in the position where DDR2 to to DDR3 shifting is taking place. I think a DDR3 system will be better option now, although the requirement you mentioned is going to cause a really big hole. I am giving both Intel and AMD config.

AMD Configurations:

AMD Phenom II 955BE 3.2 Ghz @ 12.5k
Biostar TA790GXB A3 @ 6.5k
2 Transcend 2GB DDR3 1333MHz RAM @ (2x2)=4k
2 Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB @ (2x2.9)k=5.8k
Sapphire HD4890 1GB GDDR5 @ 12.5k
Keyboard and Mouse-Microsoft Comfort Curve 2000 @ 0.9k
Zebronics 600W Pro PSU @ 3.7k
Zebronics Bijli Cabinet @ 1.5K

Intel Configuration:
Processor: Core i7 i920 D0 2.66GHz @ 13k
MSI X58 Pro @ 10.8k

Other config will be same.

My recommendation is for AMD if u want Value for Money. But if you can spend a bit of extra money, then go for the Intel. It really worth it

for good monitor AOC F22 22" FULL HD LCD Monitor @ 8.8k will be a gr8 choice. Its the best VFM Full HD monitor.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
@RollerCoaster, for Oracle and VMs you definitely need a quadcore processor.

Phenom II X2 920: 9.5k
Gigabyte/ASUS 780G based board: 4.5k-5k

or

Intel Q9450: 11k-12k (support virtualization technology and is needed for virtual machines)
Gigabyte p45 based motherboard: 5.5k-6k ( no onboard video)
Palit 9500GT: 2.5k-3k

Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800MHz DDR2 RAM: 2Gb stick 1.5k
Western Digital Caviar Black 1Tb HDD: 6.5k (this one gives more speed than two normal HDDs setup in RAID)
Cooler Master ExtremePower 500W: 2.5k unless you go for a mid end graphics card
Cooler Master Elite 335: 2.5k
TVSE Gold keyboard: 1.2k
Logitech optical mouse: 400 bucks
Samsung DVD writer: 1.1k
Samsung 2033SW: 7k or AOC 20" for 6.5k. no need for high def and other stuff if you want it to be a VM/database server
APC 1kVA UPS with battery management software: 6k-7k

I would pick the Intel Q9450 config here for database and virtualization.

hell_storm2006

Ambassador of Buzz
Since your budget is just an approx guess and stretching on desibond's config.

Intel QX9650 - 14.5K.
Gigabyte EP45-DS3R - 7.5K.
GSkill 4GB Pi Black Series - 4K.
WD Caviar Black 1TB - 6.5k.
CX400W - 3.2K.
If you need a GPU - GTX260 Core 216.

OP
Rollercoaster

Rollercoaster

Thanks everybody for the suggestions. I am really busy in office these days so not able to get time for all this. Will get back soon.

Thanks again

Cheers !

OP
Rollercoaster

Rollercoaster

Hi

Finally i got some time and went to buy the box. Though i couldn't buy but the configuration i settled for was:

Quad core 2.66 for 8290
gigabyte 43 board for 6990
HDD 1 TB seagate for 4140
4 GB DDR3 for 2 x 2590 (i had to make it 4 GB from 8 GB because the budget going too high)
DVD writer HP for 1250
SMPS + Cabinet for 2500
nvidia 512 MB video card for 1890
Microsoft 700 wirless k/b mouse for 1240.
samsung 20" TFT for 7290
Microtek UPS for 2490
PCI wifi card for 890

And it totaled to 42150 ! After everything was done that lady said that this board was not available. Infact no board for DDR3 except some Asus one for 17k :(

So i couldn't buy and had to come back.

About the Microsoft 700 k/b & mouse combo i read in a review that it was a shitty combo...i did check the logitech one but the mouse is too large in my opinion.

I will be going again next week to look for this board or try out some other one.

Any suggestions about any other board in this range and also a good wireless k/b & mouse are welcome.

My total budget is around 42-43k.

Xeno

AMD - Aaja Meri Darling
Okay I saw three things in your config which were a sort of a bother.

HDD 1 TB seagate for 4140 (IMPORTANT)
Seeing the chances of failure these days its better if you went for dual drives like 500+500 GB even if it costs you more. If the 1TB disk goes kaput you'll be left with a non functional system till you get your replacement.

SMPS + Cabinet for 2500 (IMPORTANT)
For a system like yours DO NOT use a local SMPS that comes along with the cabinet. Your system will stay on for a while I assume and for that you better spend on a good PSU, otherwise you run a risk of damaging your system with an inconsistent PSU.

Microtek UPS for 2490
Spend like Rs 400 more and get an APC UPS 600VA. Microtek is just okay enough to use. APC is far better though.

It might stretch your budget even more, but it'd keep you on the safer side.

OP
Rollercoaster

Rollercoaster

Thanks for the follow up man :)

Seeing the chances of failure these days its better if you went for dual drives like 500+500 GB even if it costs you more. If the 1TB disk goes kaput you'll be left with a non functional system till you get your replacement

you mean just using two 500 GB HDDs or using 500 GB in RAID configuration ?

For a system like yours DO NOT use a local SMPS that comes along with the cabinet. Your system will stay on for a while I assume and for that you better spend on a good PSU, otherwise you run a risk of damaging your system with an inconsistent PSU.

actually it was a cabinet without SMPS and then a separate SMPS he told me was a good one for 1900. Company name i am not able to recall...it sounded good though :D

Spend like Rs 400 more and get an APC UPS 600VA. Microtek is just okay enough to use. APC is far better though.It might stretch your budget even more, but it'd keep you on the safer side.

Thanks. I would consider that for sure.

Any alternate suggestion for the board ?

Thanks again
Amardeep

mithunlegend

Right off the assembly line
Hi,
I am living in mysore,Karnataka .I am planning to buy a new pc and my budget is Rs30-35000 i already have a samsung 22 Inches lcd tv which has HDMI,creative 7.1T7900 speakers and a 1Gb DDR2 ram can anyone pls suggest a good configuration as i will be using the pc for playing games and watching movies....

Please advice.....

Krow

Crowman
He means use 2x500GB's, one for storage and the other for backup. IMO good config, but I strongly suggest now that you wait. Corei5 is gonna arrive real soon. Then you shal have plenty of options as core i5 is gonna be for around 12k and performs better than your Q9650. Plz dont rush into this buy.

ripper

Broken In
How about Atom - Acer eMachines.
I need a desktop for Rs.18000 (with 17' LCD monitor). Any one know about the performance of Atom machines.
I need it for Internet and MS Office purpose and some entertainment.

Pl suggest a best desktop (preferably Intel Atom or Intel Dual core)
Is assembled best, will i get a assembled dual core for this price.

Let me know the pros and cons of Intel Atom
-----------------------------------------
Posted again:
-----------------------------------------
How about Atom - Acer eMachines.
I need a desktop for Rs.18000 (with 17' LCD monitor). Any one know about the performance of Atom machines.
I need it for Internet and MS Office purpose and some entertainment.

Pl suggest a best desktop (preferably Intel Atom or Intel Dual core)
Is assembled best, will i get a assembled dual core for this price.

Let me know the pros and cons of Intel Atom

Last edited:

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
^^Atom machines are only for office and internet usage. Only a few have capability to run HD videos.

for a desktop, you better get a Pentium dual core based desktop instead of Atom.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
He means use 2x500GB's, one for storage and the other for backup. IMO good config, but I strongly suggest now that you wait. Corei5 is gonna arrive real soon. Then you shal have plenty of options as core i5 is gonna be for around 12k and performs better than your Q9650. Plz dont rush into this buy.

There will not be much of a difference between Quad Core and i5 processors (P55 chipset). If DDR3 is coupled with a Qxxx series, it will be just as fast..marginal differences. The difference is clearly visible when put up against the i7 chipsets.

Though as a generic rule:

1. New build ---> i5 or i7(if affordable)
2. Upgrade ---> Qxxx series.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
^Okay agreed. But won't the Intel Core 2 Quad drop in price after launch of Core i5?

Yes...even I want that. Ideally it should drop. But I doubt they will drop it that much. It is still the highest end part for the Intel Quad series.

The darn Q9550 is still ~11.5K. Waiting for prices to drop so I can pick it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom