Advice: Cooling pad for Alienware M15x

ajayashish

Living to Succeed
Hi,
I am planning to buy a cooling pad for my alienware laptop. I need suggestion on which one to buy. Here are the ones which I have shortlisted but suggestions are always welcomed

Cooler Master NotePal L1 Cooling Pad | Cooling Pad | Flipkart.com

Cooler Master NotePal U3 Cooling Pad | Cooling Pad | Flipkart.com

Targus Laptop Chill Mat Cooling Pad | Cooling Pad | Flipkart.com

*www.flipkart.com/cooler-master-notepal-d-lite-cooling-pad/p/itmd9gyc86mkjgch?pid=ACCD9GYC8GMCTESP

Please suggest

OP
ajayashish

ajayashish

Living to Succeed
I got my heat sink and Fans changed yesterday from a Dell customer support guy and now the readings are as follows

My CPU has a reading of 50+ in idle and around 70+ on load and GPU has idle of 50 and 90 onload...

Myth

Cyborg Agent
I got my heat sink and Fans changed yesterday from a Dell customer support guy and now the readings are as follows

My CPU has a reading of 50+ in idle and around 70+ on load and GPU has idle of 50 and 90 onload...

Your temps are quite high whle idling.
Where do you place your laptop ? Prefer flat surfaces and keep the exhaust point clear of obstructions .

OP
ajayashish

ajayashish

Living to Succeed
I believe its Sandybridge (sorry for my ignorance but do let me know how I can find it out)

And yes i keep my laptop on flat surface with free space on all side... might be i have some process during startup which heats it up... i checked some of the forums and they said the the temp is normal for Alienware machine.

d3p

PowerHouse
First thing first. Find out where exactly the cooling fan is located.

Secondly, i feel its time to change the factory default TIM to after market ones. Not sure, whether it voids your warranty through.

OP
ajayashish

ajayashish

Living to Succeed
If by TIM you mean Thermal Paste then I am planning to do that in the coming month. Please suggest which one should I go for...

Also... any suggestion on the Cooling Pad

d3p

PowerHouse
For TIM, get the Arctic MX 4 from Golcha or Ankit [Checked with both of them, few months back. Surely would have it in stock]

If possible grab Artic ArtiClean Solutions from them. Its useful while cleaning the existing dried up TIM from the heatsink.

For Cooling PAD, as mentioned earlier. Find the Exhaust fan location from the base of the laptop. I would prefer to get Notepal U3, as they are silent & 1800rpm is quite ok.

The cooling grill also looks impressive, when it comes to provide enough headroom for usage.

OP
ajayashish

ajayashish

Living to Succeed
Can you tell me one more thing...

Do we place the cooling pad fans exactly under the System Exhaust fans... And can we power this cooling pad externally as I already have a lot of USB peripherals attached to it...

and can you give me the contact of Ankit and Golcha

d3p

PowerHouse
I guess the fans placed under your laptop is configured as Intake & the side fins are the exhaust.

Yes, the laptop fans are USB powered most of the times. Verify before purchasing.

A bigger fan will cover entire laptop surface, without targeting particular portion. I feel, smaller fans does it with much ease, by targetting tyhe exact placement. Hence its better to find the fan placement, before concluding.

OP
ajayashish

ajayashish

Living to Succeed
Yes my machine fans are intake fans and fins at the back are exhaust... so if i buy U3 cooler... should I place the movable fans exactly under the 2 machine fans...

Also for power can i use the AC USB adapter to power the fan externally

d3p

PowerHouse
Check the power requirements before using the USB Adaptors. The cheap ones [less than 150bucks] can't drive more than 400mA.

Top Bottom