Advanced Game Tweaks

Status
Not open for further replies.

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
I've started this thread so that we can share some advanced tweak/settings with others, which'll help play ANY games, smoother on low/mid end PC's.

the tweaks i've mentioned are for NFS Most Wanted, & were originally suggested by "Koroush Ghazi" from "TweakGuides.com" All CREDITS to him.
check out this site for the Tweaks.
*www.tweakguides.com/NFSMW_1.html

And for Registry Tweaks go here
*www.tweakguides.com/NFSMW_7.html

I did some experiments with the registry tweaks, & found the following settings smoothen the gameplay on low end PC's.(like mine's)

Goto this key = "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\EA GAMES\Need for Speed Most Wanted",

While doing the Registry Tweaks Dont change the Cache size if you have less than or just 512MB RAM, b'coz i tried that & the game crashed. Increase the value only when you have more than 512MB RAM (e.g. if you have 640MB or 768MB RAM, then try increasing that value.
NEVER reduce the default value, you can increase but dont reduce.

If you have set the Virtual Memory on your PC to more than 500MB (max & min should be set the same), then You can change the SwapSize to something like this--"4194304000" which equals to 500MB or "5033164800" which equals to 600MB.
This swap size is nothing but the space set on your HDD by the game to store some (frequently used) DATA.

Trust me when i had only 256MB RAM on my PC with Onboard Gfx(P4-3.06GHz; M/B-Intel 915G; gfx- Intel GMA 900), & changing this swap-size really smoothened the game play.

I play the game with no problem what so ever in 800*600 resolution, with "Car Reflection Update" set at 1st level, "World Level of Detail" set to 2nd level, Particle System = ON, Road Reflection at 1st level.

You can also change the values of Road Reflection, ParticleSystem, OverBight from 0 to 1, That is to turn them ON. (it'll work better on PC's having 512MB or more RAM.

Check this pic for the settings= *img216.imageshack.us/img216/6901/mwregsitryma7.th.jpg

I used TuneUp Utilites 2006 Registy Editor, its really easy to use, & if you do some mistakes, you can UNDO that change in it (just like Ctrl+Z).

abhi_10_20

Cool and Calm
awesome work by you s18000rpm,
it really speeded up the same game, by doing the registry tweaks as said.

I have fixed virtual memory size as 1024MB(both max and min). could you
please tell what swap size can be kept? My RAM is 256MB.

i also need tweaks to speed up "Elder Scrolls 4:Oblivion". any help please.

Last edited:
OP
s18000rpm

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
@abhi_10_20, when you have 1GB of virtual memory, then you can experiment with different values of "swap size" & see the results.
{Note- do not set the swap size to the max. of the virtual memory}

If you want to set it to say 800MB or 900MB, then multiply the value you want (800 or 900) with-- 8388608 --. (e.g. i want to set the value as 850MB, then i've to do this-> "8388608*850=7130316800". put the answer in the registry).

I dont know about the Oblivion, i've never installed that. check here *www.tweakguides.com/Oblivion_1.html , & for tweaks here *www.tweakguides.com/Oblivion_8.html
& About Oblivion, i think you should get a RAM upgrade. Your PC doestn meet the min. RAM requirement. check here *www.oblivionportal.com/info/systemreq.php

Last edited:

go_gamez

In the zone
ya somewhat..i use a mx 4000 ..and most wanted works fine only on low settings ..medium also the game freezes for 1-2 sec in between..sometimes

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Yes right but I dont see a blur effect nor proper car reflections or the leaves flying, it looks like a 2D cartoon to me :p

OP
s18000rpm

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
QwertyManiac said:
Yes right but I dont see a blur effect nor proper car reflections or the leaves flying, it looks like a 2D cartoon to me :p

for car reflections you have to go into the "Advanced Video Settings" in the game menu, & set the "reflections update rate" manually. (set it to 1st level).
If you want to see leaves, you have to set "World Level of Detail" to 1st level & "Road Reflections" to 1st or 2nd level.

& if you want the extras, like blur effect, overbright..., download this tool "NFSMW Gfx. Optimizer" *nfscars.net/file.php?do=info&section=nfs9&id=6191 & configure.

Its better to turn ON the Road Reflection via Registry if its not done yet. see the above pic. by doing this the road looks better & of course you'll see the leaves.

go_gamez

In the zone
thanx...for the link.hope this works out..and better and smoothger graphcs..
lol lol i m expecting too mcuh from..tht baby mx4000

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
@s18000rpm - Thats the issue, there is no such option really, just 2 togglers, one for the res. and another for l.o.d. Well, its an MX afterall... gotta get a new one soon, even XGL lags :eek:

OP
s18000rpm

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
QwertyManiac said:
@s18000rpm - Thats the issue, there is no such option really, just 2 togglers, one for the res. and another for l.o.d. Well, its an MX afterall... gotta get a new one soon, even XGL lags :eek:

Now on that screen PRESS 2 .(not the Num. Pad key but the key Pad 2).
Now the Advanced Settings Screen appears. In this screen, move the sliders to one place for 1st level & 2 places for 2nd level.... Now Configure the settings as i described in the previous reply, OR experiment with the settings.

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Ah lol didnt notice that :eek: This new interface sucks lol... thanks a ton, let me see if I can crank something more up :D

Stalker

Padawan
@go_gamez & QwertyManiac
the geforce mx series does not have pixel shader support.
no motion blur, high visual tratment, rain effect, overbright & other bloom effects are avaliable for this card

can we discuss abt F.E.A.R. tweaks??? plz...........

Last edited:
OP
s18000rpm

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
Stalker said:
can we discuss abt F.E.A.R. tweaks??? plz...........

Well i think there isnt any Registry tweaks for FEAR, but check out this site, *www.tweakguides.com ,its got tweaks for all kinds of games

For advanced tweaks for FEAR go here *www.tweakguides.com/FEAR_7.html

And do Download this 175 page(2MB) "pdf" file TweakGuides Tweaking Companion Version 3.1 from here *www.tweakguides.com/TGTC.html

Its really useful

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
Guys!
Today while googling for something, I found this site:

*www.cheatchannel.com/

Though I'm not a game freak, but may be this site will be useful for u guys?
It contains thousands of game cheat codes. Pls take a look there! :)

OP
s18000rpm

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
You can change the SwapSize for all most all EA games, like F1, Underground 1-2...

About the values ,I'll update on this next week.

tarey_g

Hanging, since 2004..
abhi_10_20 said:
I have fixed virtual memory size as 1024MB(both max and min). could you
please tell what swap size can be kept? My RAM is 256MB.

Fixing the max and min memory size is good , i always do that . Its recommended to have the virtual memory double the size of ur physical memory . So if you have 256MB ram you should really try the double value .

Also there are softwares which defrag your pagefile , try them out and see if u gain anything from that.
Try cacheman if u havent tried it yet , its a very useful piece of software , i played doom on 256 MB of ram with help of chacheman freeing up ram.

abhi_10_20

Cool and Calm
tarey_g said:
Fixing the max and min memory size is good , i always do that . Its recommended to have the virtual memory double the size of ur physical memory .

Why is it that it should always be double the physical memory?
What really happens behind, doing this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom