ADSL Modem woes...

Status
Not open for further replies.

i845_

Right off the assembly line
Hi.

I'm a subscriber of the DataOne broadband Internet service provided by BSNL, and, have been using two Huawei SmartAX MT-841 (Type IV) modems since the past two years. Of late, both of them have started acting strangely.

The modem at my home crashes whenever I try downloading anything using BitTorrent. The indicators become solidly lit, and both the Web and Telnet interfaces fail to respond. Besides, even if it does manage to work (which is extremely rare), the download speeds are excruciatingly slow. HTTP downloads, however, work fine (with the occasional quirks, of course...)

The modem in my office crashes whenever a new machine enters the network (say a colleague turns on the wireless radio on his/her notebook...). The symptoms are the same as above.

The only way to get out of this crashed state is to manually reboot the modem, which, I must say, is becoming a real pain in the posterior. I've reset, and successfully flashed both modems to the latest firmware (Dec, 2005), but without avail.

Any ideas? If there are none, could someone suggest me a good, plain vanilla ADSL modem?

Thanks.

/* Sorry for writing such a long post... after going through such an ordeal, you tend to get a bit cranky. *broadbandforum.in/images/smilies/mad44.gif*/

dheeraj_kumar

Legen-wait for it-dary!
I cant help you with the problem, but SmartAX MT800 is the plain vanilla(yes, the color too) modem which I use. It is very basic, no wireless etc, but no problems faced till now.

OP
I

i845_

Right off the assembly line
Hi Dheeraj.

Thanks for the quick reply, but I think I'm done with Huawei. Any alternatives?

yogeshm.007

The real Bond
I'm using UTStarcom WA3002G4 (provided by BSNL) at office. It has 4 Eth. and 1 WiFi... working properly for the past 2 months or so.

At home it is SmartAX MT800, also without any problems till now (about 2 years old).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom