Additional ext3 partitions

Status
Not open for further replies.

pradeepbp

A human, I use Ubuntu
I have recently installed Fedora 7 as a dual boot option (the other OS is Win XP). Instead of allocating the recommended 10 GB, I only set aside only 5 GB for F7 while installing. Now i want to add another 5 GB to F7. I am planning to add 5 GB space from the existing Windows partition.

Can I do this (creating 5 GB more ext3 partition) without reinstalling F7 ?

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
how much filled is the 5 GB partition? you can't resize the 5gb root partition, but u can add one more partition and mount it as /home (if ur personal data takes up lotsa space). u may even do that wid /var etc. that'll free some space from ur existing 5gb partition.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
how much filled is the 5 GB partition? you can't resize the 5gb root partition, but u can add one more partition and mount it as /home (if ur personal data takes up lotsa space). u may even do that wid /var etc. that'll free some space from ur existing 5gb partition.

OP
pradeepbp

pradeepbp

A human, I use Ubuntu
I am new to linux. How would I create a ext3 partition from existing windows format ?

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
i hope u know how to create partitions from widin windows? disk management? jus create some partitions. now in linux u can format that partition as ext3 and mount them. first do create some space in windows and then get back. we'll proceed step by step :)

OP
pradeepbp

pradeepbp

A human, I use Ubuntu
infra_red_dude said:
i hope u know how to create partitions from widin windows? disk management? jus create some partitions. now in linux u can format that partition as ext3 and mount them. first do create some space in windows and then get back. we'll proceed step by step :)

OK. I am ready with 4 GB free space. This was created by deleting one of the logical partitions in windows.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
do you haf gparted/qtparted installed? if not then i'll ask mediator to help you as i use these two software. mediator uses fedora and he'll help u wid other utilities.

u can check if u haf those by typing this in the terminal/run dialog box: "gparted" and "qtparted"

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
but its jus for formatting. i don't use FC7 so i dunno whats specific to that distro. hence asked him to check out if its installed.

btw, prakash do u know what disk management utils are bundled wid FC? or do we need to call the FC expert (mediator) here?? :)

praka123

left this forum longback
^nothing much afaik(last tried fc4)..all 3rd party support for rpms of these gparted or qtparted.
wait!disk druid?hell,i forgot what it is?

vish786

"The Gentleman"
infra_red_dude said:
but its jus for formatting. i don't use FC7 so i dunno whats specific to that distro. hence asked him to check out if its installed.

btw, prakash do u know what disk management utils are bundled wid FC? or do we need to call the FC expert (mediator) here?? :)

arre use cfdisk, its much easier and simpler, y chumma breaking heads.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
vish786 said:
arre use cfdisk, its much easier and simpler....
yeah whatever, ppl on FC plz guide him on partitioning na.. i'll take over from there :)

vish786 said:
...y chumma breaking heads.
now i'm convinced that you are in bangalore!! :D :D :D

vish786

"The Gentleman"
infra_red_dude said:
now i'm convinced that you are in bangalore!! :D :D :D
c again u guessed wrong, this word has spread everywhere now. North India also. :D

OP
pradeepbp

pradeepbp

A human, I use Ubuntu
But will I be able to install new applications on this new partition, or only data files can be kept here ?

Status
Not open for further replies.