Accelerators!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

danny_geo

Broken In
OK, now I understood that it is the core speed that matters in a graphics card and not really the memory. Could you please clear the following doubts of mine.

- What is core speed and memory speed, what each does.
- Is it neccessary to have an AGP slot to insert a graphics card into my motherboard?
- Do we get better performance if we couple 2 128 MB cards with around 500 Mhz core speed, than a 256 MB card?

Please help,
Thank You !!!

theraven

Technomancer
1)wait for the experts to explain the jargon
2) no u can have a pci graphics card as well
tho they are more costly than their agp counter parts
3) not possible .. unless its with nvidia's new SLI chipset ...
and thats to couple the high end cards
so if ur basically plannin to go for it .. and u get 2 nvidia 6800's @128 mb to compare it with one 6800 with 256 mb ... ur spending a min of 60k just on the cards whereas 1 6800 with 256 mb would cost u 34k max
this ofcourse is highend , top quality companies with a good software bundle as well ...

blade_runner

Cyborg Agent
danny_geo said:
OK, now I understood that it is the core speed that matters in a graphics card and not really the memory. Could you please clear the following doubts of mine.

- Is it neccessary to have an AGP slot to insert a graphics card into my motherboard?
- Do we get better performance if we couple 2 128 MB cards with around 500 Mhz core speed, than a 256 MB card?

Please help,
Thank You !!!
1. The core speed of a gfx card is the same as in CPU,(analogy).It represents the no. of clock cycles/sec . Memory speed is like the core speed only it applies to memory of the GPU or the RAM.
2. U need a AGP slot for a AGP compatible gfx card or else a PCI slot will do for a PCI gfx card.
3. Like raven said, this is possbile only with SLI technology. The hardware needs to distribute the workload and work in tandem with the software to be able to work smoothly otherwise u cud end up with horrible results.

ganesh8

Broken In
1) you should compare the GPU (graphic processor unit). For example a ATI X800XT GPU will be much superior in performace than a ATI Radeon 9800XT. In case of nVIDIA, Geforce 6800Ultra will be much faster than a geforce Fx 5950Ultra.

2) AGP is superior to PCI. However PCI-E (PCI Express) is superior to AGP. Pls do not mix PCI and PCI-E. PCI is outdated and obsolete.

darklord

Cyborg Agent
danny_geo said:

Please help,
Thank You !!!
OK, now I understood that it is the core speed that matters in a graphics card and not really the memory----> That is not true.If the game has excellent grafix then the frame buffer on the grafix card needs to be fast and shud be large enough too.
Memory speeds andamount count my dear freind.

Do we get better performance if we couple 2 128 MB cards with around 500 Mhz core speed, than a 256 MB card?
----> it depends on the type of memory.If the card has BGA Ram then it has higher clock speed and performs better.If the games demands more amount of ram for buffering huge maps then higher amount of ram helps.

But generally the cheaper cardswith 256 MB Ram do notsport BGA Ram and therefore it doesnt help much and might prove to be a bottleneck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom