Aadhaar related news and discussion

TigerKing

Wise Old Owl
Another government app related questions..

Digilocker
*play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.digilocker.android

Authenticity?
How secure is this app?

Driving licence related news.
Driving licences now just a touch away on phones - Times of India

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
DigiLocker:Towards Paperless Governance

Can't say about security but should be decent considering it is an official app for storing documents in scanned form.

OP
Flash

Flash

Lost in speed
The Law Ministry has clarified that Aadhaar linkage with savings bank account cannot be made mandatory. However, it has opined that there is no problem in linking the Permanent Account Number, or PAN, with Aadhaar.
Aadhaar-bank a/c linking ‘cannot be mandated’

:rolleyes:

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
I have got aadhaar now... Now I wanna know what all I can do or check, like digitally and all.

Like first step, I will try to disable biometrics.

Stormbringer

Ambassador of Buzz
I have got aadhaar now... Now I wanna know what all I can do or check, like digitally and all.

Like first step, I will try to disable biometrics.
Congrats . You can show your aadhaar if anybody accuses you being Anti-National and say "Choke on this Madaf***".
:D Link everything under the sun to your aadhaar.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
hahaha yeah I guess I have to stop linking, but strangely enough, stopped getting prompts for that after actually getting the number

so If I throw a wrapper or plastic bottle on the road, theoretically, they can trace that litter back to me?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Too much scifi thoughts,dna is in a league of its own.Forget about dna database in India where even a few thousand criminal cases investigation results in 8-9 months of waiting time for dna tests.

RohanM

Cyborg Agent
When we have DNA linking / scanning tech here, other countries would be living on other planets by then having interstellar travel tech. :p

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
Okay, I am fundamentally against aadhaar because of the human rights concerns, like this guy who posted the challenge can get identified as a child molester if the database has been shared for crime fighting, which has happened in goa - but it was not a false positive.

But, in this case, he is totally winning, you have to understand where the government is coming from here
there is no personal data protection regime
privacy laws are also a little iffy
their stand is that personal details available to the public does not really hurt anyone, like gov.in filetype:xls aadhaar, pan, names, addresses, phone numbers etc is no big deal
pls do not google that and download stuff

they are winning the argument absolutely, irrespective of what media or agencies say. In that sense, this is an absolutely solid demonstration.

Anyone wanting to fight, siphon off the money from his bank accounts.

That number has been switched off by the way.

billubakra

Conversation Architect
Okay, I am fundamentally against aadhaar because of the human rights concerns, like this guy who posted the challenge can get identified as a child molester if the database has been shared for crime fighting, which has happened in goa - but it was not a false positive.

But, in this case, he is totally winning, you have to understand where the government is coming from here
there is no personal data protection regime
privacy laws are also a little iffy
their stand is that personal details available to the public does not really hurt anyone, like gov.in filetype:xls aadhaar, pan, names, addresses, phone numbers etc is no big deal
pls do not google that and download stuff

they are winning the argument absolutely, irrespective of what media or agencies say. In that sense, this is an absolutely solid demonstration.

Anyone wanting to fight, siphon off the money from his bank accounts.

That number has been switched off by the way.
Agree.
You called that number? Ha ha

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
The challenge was issued almost at the same time as the submission of the Srikrishna Committee Report, which is a draft of the proposed data protection bill
coincidence?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Let's wait for facts to emerge because it is still yet to be proved that all those details came out only because of Aadhaar.A good enough hacker can also get all these details with or without Aadhaar number so for such people this issue is irrelevant. Only issue is whether some tom/dick/harry sitting in some small office of a contractor company linked to processing of aadhaar related verification also able to do this same thing which is indeed worrisome.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
Official statement by UIDAI

UIDAI said that factually anyone can google or visit other sources and find out Sh. Sharma’s personal details without Aadhaar. For example, Sh. Sharma’s mobile number is available on NIC website as he was once Secretary IT, Government of India. His date of birth is available in the Civil List of IAS Officers which is kept in public domain and his address is on TRAI Website because he is TRAI Chairman. Similarly his email id may be available in public domain. They clubbed all these inputs and claimed that they have managed to breach Aadhaar database and got his personal details, which is completely false.

wow what a demonstration
Other people are posting their own Aadhaar numbers in support of the TRAI chairman

Top Bottom