A7V8X-MX IDE errors

Status
Not open for further replies.

klinux

Ambassador of Buzz
AMD 2600 , running at 266 1.5ghz -Asus A7v8x-mx - Bios 1008.002 - 512 MB DDR 333- samsung 120gb - techcom 350Watts .

When connected to the primary IDE on motherboard the hdd disappears after some usage while the DVD-Combo was detected fine . this was withing windows and bios . initially thought HDD prob and did disk fitness test . It passed . Swapped combo and hdd . combo went missing after some time in Win2k and XP . got device removed error in event viewer and when checked in . All cables were checked rechecked with all possible combination of 40/80 pin cables and all possible jumper settings .

Weird part - fixed an old cdrom as master from old pc on ide 1 and it all seems to work fine now without any hitch . Is there a possible problem with ide controller on motherboard . can there be problem only with one ide controller ? Bios updates doesnt seem to work at all too .

Current setting
IDE 1 master - cdrom
IDE 1 Slave - Combo
IDE 2 master - none
IDE 2 slave - HDD

Has anyone been able to solve the problem with restart " restarts after 10 seconds during cold boot " with this motherboard other than downgrading bios to 1005 ?

theraven

Technomancer
why would u put ur hdd on IDE2 slave that too ?
anyways its IDE0 and IDE1 by normal convention
so just put ur hdd on IDE0 master
make urr combo an IDE1 master
and ur cdrom an IDE1 slave
this is a better config
try it out for a few days

OP
K

klinux

Ambassador of Buzz
thanks for the reply .

ide 1 that i meant was the first ide connector , blue one and ide2 was black one .

anyways . seems ide1 has been failing on me . first the drives disappeared and then when it was detected , some jumbled words in post instead of proper drive name .

since ide1 ( blue ) seems to have gone . am running ide0 for hdd and combo . is it possible for single ide port to malfunction on motherboard . have sent msg to asus tech support . has anyone else faced this prob ?

OP
K

klinux

Ambassador of Buzz
ok finally i am getting closer to solving the prob with my m/b ide thanks to teoma and vivisimo

from MS support site : *support.microsoft.com/kb/812415

1. Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
2. Click the Hardware tab, and then click Device Manager.
3. On the View menu, click Resources by Type.
4. Expand Interrupt Request (IRQ).
If Device Manager shows that IRQ 14 is assigned to the primary IDE channel and it shows that IRQ 15 is assigned to the secondary IDE channel, your computer is in Compatibility mode.

What do u ppl get next to the ide controlle primary and secondary ??? is it PCI or ISA in the brackets ??

another q : anyone know what s1 and s3 states in bios used for . if u read the above ms support link , it states there is native and compatibility option in bios which causes ide errors . i dont have such options in my bios . any idea what i could tweak to fix this prob

also had these probs :

RSM could not identify the media in drive Drive 0 of library

Received a device interface REMOVAL notification for device:

OP
K

klinux

Ambassador of Buzz
ELECTRONICS STUDENTS HELP NEEDED : URGENT !!!!!!!!!!!

ELECTRONICS STUDENTS NEEDED : URGENT !!!!!!!!!!!

ok i think i found a solution for my age old problem . but i am stuck and can't follow what this guy is saying properly . what is ESD ?? and please try to elaborate and explain what he has done . do i have to connect a copper wire from my cdrom to the case or something like that ?? is there any other way to prevent ESD ???

THE SOLUTION :
Later, after the system had been running about 8 hours without the error, my arm brushed against the case as I reached for one of the cd jewel cases that always fall where I can hardly reach and the HDD and CDR are ejected. Win2k is again yelling at me about Unsafe Removal of Device, only now years of PC and electronic work kick in and I suspect an intermittent electrostatic discharge (ESD) caused by a failure in case ground somehow spiking the circuit and causing the Unsafe Removal of Device, but can I prove it?

My HDDs are mounted in one of those hanger mounts that hook into tabs on the inside of the case. One screw secures the hanger. I ran a shielded copper wire with ground lugs between the WD200 HDD spare mount holes and its slave CDR. I secured the other end to the actual case frame and not the hdd hanger.

For about 48 hours I waited for the error and even tried to make it happen. No error - no problem.

I shut down the system and disconnected the extra ground wire and then restarted. Six hours later the Unsafe Removal of Device returned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom