A weird situation

shaunak

Tux Fan
Hey,

My Dell XCD-35's screen conked off last month under warranty and Dell said they will take 60 days to fix it. Its nearing 60 days now and the service center staff still aren't very positive. "End of November, sir. Definitely" is what they say, with no conviction in the "definitely".

The thing is I love the Dell XCD-35 and it was well suited for all my needs. I dont play too many games, etc. Just a basic talk and surf android. And it has a awesome screen with a insane ppi (~270). (This is important for me).

I'm kinda growing tired of not having a cellphone and have a budget of 10k for this diwali. Which brings me to a dilemma:

1. Get a cheap-o Nokia for 1.056k and wait for the Dell
[Money wasted, I feel]

2. Get a Android 2.x for 5-6K - A canon speedlite with the rest of the cash(+some) :)))
If I go this route, I need help choosing a budget android phone.
A quick search on flipkart shows my choices include a MM Ninja or the Idea Blade [Again!]. But I have no clue as to the market and I'm hoping you guys can help me out here.
The only thing important to me is the phone's display. A high PPI display with no color bleeding etc, and 3G support. My sister's micromax display is horrible, and i'm not a fan of the custom UI (not even Samsung's) and inbuilt apps. So unless there is a way to remove those, i'm not really interested. (I hear the new micromax-es are better). Put simply: Is there a phone with stock android, with no crap installed in and a good display for 5-6k?

2. Get a Android 4.x for 10-12k

There are a bunch of phones in this segment that seem good. Karbonn A21 / A18 seem to have stock OSes and good-ish displays. But im not sure. (You cant tell much from video reviews). There is also this MM A100 which seems good [Looks like its being replaced by the A110 which is worse]. But im not really sure how good these are. The iball 5c seems nice too. [Out of stock everywhere though]
(PS: This option means no speedlite - and as you can tell, im not really big on phones :p)

Im not scared of "not so big" names, and am no way a brand slave. Id gladly buy even a Chinese phone if its good. [I bought the blade!] So guys do help me decide.

Thanks a ton.

UPDATE: Considering second hand devices as well. What do you guys think?
UPDATE2: Found the "Huawei Ascend G300" - How is Huawei as a brand? (listed as a "global brand" in the buying guide thread)

Standard Questionnaire:
1. Budget? 5k or 10k +/-2k (See above)
2. Display type and size? 3.5" to 4" - Should be crisp. Reading books on the phone is important to me.
3. Form Factor? bar, slider, flip? - bar
4. Preferred choice of brand? - none
5. Preferred input method (QWERTY, touchscreen, numpad, touch-n-type) - touch
6. What camera option you want? Please specify need for flash, autofocus, front facing camera. - Anything will do.
7. Preferred operating system? (Android, Symbian, iOS, Windows Phone etc). - Android
8. Preferred connectivity options (3G, Wifi etc)Please specify clearly. - 3G, Wifi with tethering (Tethering is VERY important)
9. Preferred applications (Flash, Swype, GPS, etc)? - Runkeeper, Aldiko, Maps, Browser [Did not know what to answer for this]
10. Primary use of handset (multimedia, camera, mails, internet, gaming etc)? - internet, mails, reading, calander
11. Any specific mobile phones in consideration? - n/a
12. Any other info that you want to share - I dont mind rooting etc to get things to work, as long as its not too painful

UPDATE:
Compass, Accelerometer, proximity and G-sensor is a MUST

Last edited:

Ihthisham

Broken In
Sync z5 cloud. It is 5inch phablet I hope can go on with that.Ill give you the specs below and it costs 9k.
You can purchase it from their own website link is given...
-------------------------------------------------------------------
. Zync Z5 comes with an 5.0-inches TFT LCD Capacitive Touchscreen Display of Resolution 480 x 800 Pixels. This Zync Z5 Smartphone is powered by 1 GHz Processor & it run’s on Android V4.0.3 Ice Cream Sanwich Operating System. It has Primary Camera of 8 Megapixel & one VGA front Camera for Video calling.

Specs--

Display:- 5.0-inches TFT LCD Capacitive Touchscreen Display

Display Resolution:- 480 x 800 Pixels

Display Type:- 5 Point Mumltiple Touch

Weight:- 190 gram

Processor:- Powered by 1 GHz Processor

Operating System:- Android v4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich OS

Seonsors:- Accelerometer, Proximity, ambient light, G-Sensor, Magnetmeter

Primary Camera:- 8 Megapixel Camera with LED Flash

Secondary Camera:- Yes, VGA Front Camera for Video Calling

Memory:- Internal Memory of 8GB & Expandable upto 32GB with microSD card slot

Connectivity:- Wi-Fi 802.11b/g/n, Bluetooth, USB v2.0
Battery-2500Mah

Buy Zync.
Go to the website given(buy zync )and you'll find the specs and you can purchase it from there.Sorry my English is Bad.

Last edited:

cacklebolt

Ambassador of Buzz
Sir,do check out the Karbonn A9+ or the Karbonn A11 ....
beautiful screens,Stock ICS,5 mp cam,~8.5k...what more could one want???
and they are fluid and fast (used it at croma)
P.S a9+ has a dual core while the a11 a single core..
UPDATE: Considering second hand devices as well. What do you guys think?
UPDATE2: Found the "Huawei Ascend G300" - How is Huawei as a brand? (listed as a "global brand" in the buying guide thread)
the huawei is actually an excellent phone and the brand is huge...and vodafone uk released the ics update for this phone recently so i guess it should be available here also..

aroraanant

Explorer
Please don't get a cheap android phone otherwise you will surely regret later on.
Invest a good amount and enjoy it for a long period say around 1.5-2yrs.
In low the best option I think is Tipo which is retailing for around 9k

R2K

In the Zone
Please don't get a cheap android phone otherwise you will surely regret later on.
Invest a good amount and enjoy it for a long period say around 1.5-2yrs.
In low the best option I think is Tipo which is retailing for around 9k

+1
Cheap phones are never reliable. Cheap phones are cheap for a reason.

OP
shaunak

shaunak

Tux Fan
+1
Cheap phones are never reliable. Cheap phones are cheap for a reason.

I am beginning to agree. I was shocked to find out that most of these phones do not have a compass sensor. Even my Samsung galaxy 3 had one!

I work in the field of Geo-infomatics and a compass is quite important to me. I took it for granted that a phone would have a sensor that is so cheap. Turns out no! Even the HTC phones are devoid of those.

I have a new requirement now.
Compass, Accelerometer, proximity (and G-sensor?) is a MUST

------
The tipo lacks the g-sensor but seems like my best bet at the moment. Any other suggestion?

rajeshk

Right off the assembly line
I am beginning to agree. I was shocked to find out that most of these phones do not have a compass sensor. Even my Samsung galaxy 3 had one!

I work in the field of Geo-infomatics and a compass is quite important to me. I took it for granted that a phone would have a sensor that is so cheap. Turns out no! Even the HTC phones are devoid of those.

I have a new requirement now.
Compass, Accelerometer, proximity (and G-sensor?) is a MUST

------
The tipo lacks the g-sensor but seems like my best bet at the moment. Any other suggestion?

Hi,
Look at the G300, i the best under 10k phone right now.
I had a trial at a croma store and have ordered it online as it was cheap there.
rave reviews from users in the UK.
should give it a try.

Rajesh

Top Bottom