A Web Based Operating System - eyeOS

Status
Not open for further replies.

subratabera

Just another linux lover.
A free (open source) web operating system that handles a web office, PIM, games, etc, and can be installed in any server with PHP. It entirely runs inside the browser. Can be downloaded from eyeos.org...It can be also tested from *eyeos.org/demo.

*eyeos.org/img/screens/p1.png

Source

Last edited:

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Well it's sounds so stupid as of today. But, I feel we'll see this same thing will bring about a big change in computers industry maybe a couple of decades down the line.

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
@tuxfan: Look into the distant future. Every app stored on a server. Right now every computer has a different configuration. Not all computers can run everything. But in case of web based OS, the client just needs a browser. So computers could be manufactured with standard specifications and everything would run on the server!

OP
subratabera

subratabera

And also it will eliminate the need for regular maintenance, updates, backups, softwares installations, carrying your laptop etc.

tuxfan

Technomancer
kalpik said:
@tuxfan: Look into the distant future. Every app stored on a server. Right now every computer has a different configuration. Not all computers can run everything. But in case of web based OS, the client just needs a browser. So computers could be manufactured with standard specifications and everything would run on the server!

But the browser again will need some OS! Isn't it?

Of course, the local OS can be pretty basic with storage, browsing and net-wroking rest all online. But somehow this idea doesn't fascinate me too much :(

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
@Tuxfan, Yeah definitely the browser runs on top of the O.S. But the funtionality of the
O.S can be kept to the minimum. If we can have a Server-centric O.S, this increases
the load on the Server!!

I look at the future this way:

In the future we'll be able to integrate almost all the applications into browser.
We can view Office suite, listen to music, record, burn CD/DVD. And what not.
All the things can be done inside the browser!!

OP
subratabera

subratabera

In the near future an OS with a browser can also be fabricated on a piece of hardware which can be very cheap and with the help of Gbps broadband speeds can be very very fast also. Everything will become network oriented. We don't have to upgrade our hardware regurlarly to install new OS(e.g. VISTA), play games etc. Life will be much easier...

mehulved

kalpik said:
Yes the local OS could be something as simple as your series 40 nokia phone :D
A series 40 phone connectable to a monitor and high speed net connection and whoa you have a full fledged computer.

Satissh S

Youngling
I beg to differ, the basic yet the most fundamental aspect of an operating system is your never ever supposed to feel it. Actually, speaking radically nobody really uses an operating system, we use programs on our computers.

The OS itself should help these programs run while itself being as unobtrusive to the cause as possible. What the operating system does is initialises hardware, allocates resources to the programs, helps locate the files in the disk and help these programs to connect to the net.

Also the most primitive definition of the kernel (the core of the OS) is that it helps interact with the hardware thereby making it easy for programmers to write programs.

The so-called web OS doesn't fulfill any of these, so while its justifyable to call it maybe something like a desktop shell such as GNOME/KDE that can be run from a browser, calling it an Operating System is just ridiculous.

As an Aside, have a look at this,
*validator.w3.org/check?uri=*eyeos.org/demo

;-)

mehulved

But the web OS is interacting with the hardware na, at the server end. It's just that the client end it doesn't do much interaction.
Something like a dumb terminal.

candyman

Right off the assembly line
I love this thread, i think the idea is good if not GREAT, think about the 99$ computer project, where all of the 3'rd world countries can get a computer so small in parts and software needs that it would be perfect to produce anywhere.

Less hardware and software = poweruse = better enviroment as well

tuxfan

Technomancer
Well, in a "web-OS world" bandwidth requirements will increase many times over! So in India if web-pages take so long to load :roll: think what will happen when you try to open a 20MB image file. :( I am not too hopeful about the bandwidth scenario in India even after 5 years!

desertwind

Cyborg Agent
"Browser based OS" (I call it like this) doesn't inspire me as well.

Satya: Oh you don't have to validate each and every page you come across!!! :)

kumarmohit

Technomancer
How on earth can it be an OS? An OS has three parts - Shell, Kernel and HAL, This is more or less a web based Shell not a complete OS.

OP
subratabera

subratabera

kumarmohit said:
How on earth can it be an OS? An OS has three parts - Shell, Kernel and HAL, This is more or less a web based Shell not a complete OS.
I think the concept of the OS will change in the near future...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom