A query about MS Outlook 2013

eureka

Banned
Honestly I have never used Outlook, never, so I have no idea how they work, thus the query. I set up my Gmail account in Outlook 2013 for the first time and everything is good, but as soon as I open Outlook it starts synchronizing messages from very first email, which is way back six or seven years and it keeps synching all the emails so that now the space on C drive is getting decreased in a good amount.

So two questions, is there any way to change the default location of synced emails? And another query, is there any way to stop the sync totally? I don't think I need offline emails. Also how to delete the already synced emails?

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
By Default all emails are stored in a .OST file. But you can create multiple separate .PST file and add in your account. Then you can transfer existing emails from .OST file (which would be in the OS drive) to .PST file

Open outlook.
Goto File -> Info -> Account Settings

Here under Data tab you can see that you can add multiple .PST files and save it anywhere on your PC.

*i.minus.com/iG0LAiukDotQs.png

About not syncing all emails, I am sure there would be certain settings either in Outlook or in GMail. I don't know the exact procedure for that though, so you might have to wait or trying searching.

Flash

Lost in speed
Because all your mails in gmail is stored the folder "Inbox". So, the "Inbox" in gmail is getting mapped to "Inbox" in Outlook thereby syncing all the mails.
Check this..

Please use the following steps to modify the number of months of email to synchronize with your cached mode .ost file:
  1. Start Outlook.
  2. Click Account Settings on the File tab, and then click Account Settings.
  3. In the Account Settings dialog box, double-click your Microsoft Exchange account on the E-mail tab.
  4. In the Change Account dialog box, drag the Mail to keep offline: slider to the desired number of months
Only a subset of your Exchange mailbox items are synchronized in Outlook 2013

OP
E

eureka

Banned
Thanks a lot both of you. Succssfuuly deleted the default location of those OST files and created/selected a different location for emails. Changed the offline mail duration to one month too, but I wish there was an option to simply deactivate the Offline feature as a whole :( Even one month is unnecessary for me.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Thanks a lot both of you. Succssfuuly deleted the default location of those OST files and created/selected a different location for emails. Changed the offline mail duration to one month too, but I wish there was an option to simply deactivate the Offline feature as a whole :( Even one month is unnecessary for me.

I think if you move emails from Inbox to Archive, that should solve the problem?
Also can't you lower the value from 1 month, to 1 week or days?

Top Bottom