A problemwith motherboard

Yugal Hinduja

Broken In
I am sorry if this is a wrong section for post. Its urgent. I need help.
so here's my problem.
Today i tried to connect a HDD in slave configuration. After connection i saw smoke coming out from somewhere in Motherboard. I quickly disconnected that HDD, than restarted the system. Now system was running (booted from master HDD) but the bios settings was reset. every time i turn on my PC, i have to reconfigure time in BIOS.
What's the problem? what is its solution?
Please tell me.
Once again I am sorry,if asking this type of questions is against forum rules.

helion

Broken In
1. Don't operate the computer at all. Warning of further electrical hazard.
2. Locate the source of smoke. Look for (partially)burnt parts and so on. You are likely to find a burnt pin socket in the PSU connectors to the CPU, and burn on the mobo at the corresponding pin.
3. Looks like one of the lines(my call is that it is the 12v line to the CPU) on the PSU spiked and caused this. Get that thing checked and corrected, or just easier, replace it.
4. However, you will need to take the mobo + CPU + RAM + PSU to the repair center and have them assessed.

The way you describe your subsequent uses of the computer, it looks like the PSU has lost it and your damage is limited to that.

Is your plug point earthed at all?

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
this most probably the PSU - the new added HDD just overloaded the PSU so after disconnecting the HDD the system ran fine. IF possible get a good PSu like Corsair CX430v2 @ 2.3k just to be safe in the future.

OP
Y

Yugal Hinduja

Broken In
1. Don't operate the computer at all. Warning of further electrical hazard.
2. Locate the source of smoke. Look for (partially)burnt parts and so on. You are likely to find a burnt pin socket in the PSU connectors to the CPU, and burn on the mobo at the corresponding pin.
3. Looks like one of the lines(my call is that it is the 12v line to the CPU) on the PSU spiked and caused this. Get that thing checked and corrected, or just easier, replace it.
4. However, you will need to take the mobo + CPU + RAM + PSU to the repair center and have them assessed.

The way you describe your subsequent uses of the computer, it looks like the PSU has lost it and your damage is limited to that.

Is your plug point earthed at all?

I checked that, I didn't find burnt pin socket.
But i replaced the Lithium battery and now everything is fine.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ the date/time and setting thinf ie resetting CMOS setting can be fixed by changing the CMOS battery ( like you did ) but as you have seen smoke which can't be caused by CMOS battery ( unless the old battery exploded though never heard this before ) can be caused for the desi PSU you are using - so it would be better if you change to some decent PSu like I mentioned on the previous post.

OP
Y

Yugal Hinduja

Broken In
ok, thanks for help, i will change PSU as soon as possible,
I will switch to corsair's 430v2. Actually i dnt have that much money right now.
i will buy within a month, when i will get money,
thnx buddy for reply.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Earthing is only required if OP feels slight shock when he touches any metallic part of the cabby and read his previous post - he has fixed the date/time changing issue by replacing the battery.

Top Bottom