A newbie's guide to Overclocking a Athlon XP CPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

saketb

Right off the assembly line
overclocking

Hi,
I am really interested in overclocking my system. Below is my system's spec, please anyone suggest me as upto what extent I can overclock this.

AMD 2600+ Barton
asus a7n8x-e nVidia nforce2
2x256 333 ram

currently running at 1916 mhz

Kindly tell me how much can I get from my system (MHZ?).

Thanks in advance.
:D :D :D

D

dinesh_singh

can any one tell me:- is the multiplier for amd athlon 64 3200+ winchester socket 939 locked?????

The Incredible

Ambassador of Buzz
TheMask said:
4. You may do this till your system doesn?t boot. Once your system fails to boot in, you may have to reset the jumper on the mother board to clear the CMOS. (check the manual as to how it is done)

Hey i havent got any manual with my mobo.

also there's no fsb option in my bios

wat r jumpers

how 2 reset jumpers to clear CMOS?

plz let me knwo

Anindya

Retro

Journeyman
TheMask said:
CAUTION!!!

Now you?ll reach a point where anymore increase in FSB even by 1MHz, will fail your system to boot. This is the max speed ur CPU will run at at this Vcore value. Vcore is the voltage that is supplied to the CPU by the motherboard. U may increase this value by a mere 0.25V and then repeat thru the stpes1 to 6. Once u have hit the limit at this value of Vcore, try increasing Vcore by another 0.25V and repeat the steps. Whatever you do, DO NOT INCREASE the Vcore beyond 1.8V for AMD processors.

Can anybody explain as to how I can increase the Vcore value? Is it available in the BIOS or what?

BTW, Amazing guide Mask!

The Incredible

Ambassador of Buzz
hey i'm havin AMD Athlon 1800+ proccy runnin on Biostar M7VKQ with 128 MB SDRAM, 30 GB Maxtor HD, WinXP.

My BIOS r updated but there's no section for frequency. its nowhere on da BIOS.

also a few progs show dat my proccy's original fsb is 133 MHz and it is clocked at 100.xx MHz & dat its original speed is 1533MHz but it is clocked at 1152 MHz just coz da fsb is set to a lower value. how can u set it 2 original value.

Plz help.

The Incredible

Ambassador of Buzz
sum1 reply pls :cry:

btw is there any software to O/C AMD 1800+ cpu stuck on Biostar M7VKQ (Apollo133 chipset).

pls answer my above query pls.

Siriusblack

Broken In
@ GEEKY Hey i too have a p4 1.5 ghz back at home running on a gigiabyte motherboard and till date without increasing the vcore value i have oced my cpu till 1.86 ghz only by increasing the fsb. the cpu isnt with me now since i'm in a boarding school in karnatka in class 12 and the sys is back home in uttaranchal. neways u can always juice out 200 mhz easily on p4 without increasing the v core value

coolpepe

Broken In
Hi,
I am really interested in overclocking my system. Below is my system's spec, please anyone suggest me as upto what extent I can overclock this.

AMD Athlon 3200 64 bit
MSI RS482M2
768 MB RAM
(512x1@400Mhz & 256x1@333Mhz.)

currently running at 1.99 Ghz.

Kindly tell me how to overclock it and to how much extent.

Thanks in advance.

prankie

D PrankMaster
it seems that there are too many to ask but no one to answer....
well i oc'ed my procci which was
amd64 sempron 2500+
by changing the fsb from bios..

paul_007

Padawan
guys i am new to overclocking, first of all pls tell me wat is the difference b/w bus speed and clock speed , i have prchased AMD athlon 3800+ ,so tell me wat is the bus speed and clock speed of my processor and how much shud i overclock my proccy.

max_demon

IM AS MAD AS HELL!!
can I overclock my PC
DDR 400 512 MB RAM
AMD 64 Athelon 3500+
msi 761GM2-V
Help I need Overclocking
*img131.imageshack.us/img131/8663/maxxxcq1.th.jpg

Last edited:

samrulez

Cyborg Agent
Well.....I don't know about your mobo....but surely your procey can do 2.7GHz+.....without overclocking your memory coz I don't think you have some good memory...

So through the BIOS and tell us that you didn't understand...

Anindya

In the zone
The Incredible said:
Hey i havent got any manual with my mobo.

also there's no fsb option in my bios

wat r jumpers

how 2 reset jumpers to clear CMOS?

plz let me knwo

Anindya

Hello Anindya,
U can reset ur CMOS Jumper by just taking out the CMOS Jumper waiting for 1-5 secs and putting it back again. U must fing CMOS Jumper near the CMOS battery. Please check carefully it will be written. Bye!

crazy_sumi

Broken In
Yo man...
Great tutorial there.

But a few small things I think you should have covered...

Firstly, the Xp range is :- Thoroughbed, Barton, Thorton, Palamino

Secondly, overclocking also deals with various cooling issues, which i think you should have covered in more detail considering the fact that your tutorial is quite comprehensive. You fail to mention the awesome things that can be done provided you have a good cooling solution..... My Athlon Xp is clocked to 2.9 Ghz from a measly 2.1ghz, with the help of a custom made nitrogen cooling kit ( costs a bomb, but I was gifted ) So, you see a lot can be done than just increasing the speeds by one multiplier.....

But then, I think its just me who is craving for these deatials . The tutorial was great, and you mentioned some things that even I never knew of!!!

Tech_Wiz

Wise Old Owl
Finally found this thread :D

k I got a X2 4400+ running on a M2N MX SE

Ram is DDR II 667 Mhz by Trancend.

Core Speed is 2300 Mhz each. I want to know to how how much frequency I can get it up without altering vCore or RAM settings. [Y only change FSB or Multiplier ;)]

I want it to up like 2500 odd minimum :D

Tech_Wiz

Wise Old Owl
Update: My Mobo doesnt allow me to change FSB so OC is out of question :D

Here is great thread for OC

*www.nforcershq.com/forum/must-have-programs-and-links-for-overclockers-vt69623.html

hahahari

In the zone
How much you suppose I can OC my Proccy to?

AMD 4400+ 2x 64 bit
ram 1gb 667 mhz
mobo is m2n...SE one [Dont remember fully] it has an nvidia core though.

thnx friends.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom