A HD6450 PCI Express 2.1 Card on a PCI EX. 1.1 motherboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheLetterD

Will Power
Hello
This is the Card I am planning to buy for my HTPC.
I have a ASUS P5N-MX motherboard with the latest BIOS update. My motherboard has a PCI Express 1.1 slot, but the Graphic Card I wanna get is a PCI Express 2.1 Card. Wikipedia says:
PCI Express 2.1 supports a large proportion of the management, support, and troubleshooting systems planned for full implementation in PCI Express 3.0. However, the speed is the same as PCI Express 2.0. Unfortunately, the increase in power from the slot breaks backward compatibility between PCI Express 2.1 cards and some older motherboards with 1.0/1.0a, but most motherboards with PCI Express 1.1 connectors are provided with a BIOS update by their manufacturers through utilities to support backward compatibility of cards with PCIe 2.1.

How can I be sure that the Graphic Card will run on my PC?
And if I have the latest BIOS update do I have that particular 'utilities software' too?

ALSO how capable is my Card? Capable enough to run 3D Blu-Rays too? And if not that regular 3D-DVDs?

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
the card should work just fine and is capable enough to play 3D Blu ray discs - if you are still unsure better grab a GT520 which should also work just fine for you ;-)

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ it's more or less of a informal term that many people use ;-) - anyway, edited.

OP
TheLetterD

TheLetterD

Will Power
Yes!!! Thanks anyways! No Im just happy that its capable enough of playing 3D DVDs cuz my brother got a few for his birthday! And soon getting a 3D tv!

OP
TheLetterD

TheLetterD

Will Power
:( BUt I read a few AnandTech Reviews and they said that the Video Quality of an HD6450 is better than the GT520's. And the GT520 consumes double the power the HD6450 does. Also I was planning to get a basic AMD A4 system and use Dual Graphics with it, if my Motherboard (LGA775) motherboard dies. Cuz it will, Ive been using a Desi PSU for 2 years now and a while ago its Graphic Controller chip blew and I got it fixed(well thats what my computer-repair guy told me). :(
So should I go fot a GT520 or a GT610? I know they are basically the same Graphic cards, but I guess GT610 will have , umm IDk, better drivers cuz its new right?

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
no GT610 is just a re-named GT520 - so new no drivers can improve it in anyway and after reading your post I think you better grab onto HD6450.

OP
TheLetterD

TheLetterD

Will Power
Hmm I guess. I am getting a good corsair power supply so power consumption is not really an issue, still I thought if I could pair it up with an A4 even 20-30% performance improvement would help!

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
I can't say which Dual core Trinity APU is compatible with HD6450 for Hybrid CF setup but if Hybrid CF is what you've in mind then consider getting A4 3400.

OP
TheLetterD

TheLetterD

Will Power
Hello
Sorry for bumping old thread but I wanna know which Graphic card should I get outta these three?
The Forsa GT610 has a higher GPU AND Memory clockspeed. And how is Forsa After Sales Service in the north? (Punjab/Chandigarh)

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Forsa GT610 has a higher GPU AND Memory clockspeed. And how is Forsa After Sales Service in the north? (Punjab/Chandigarh)
Wrong way to compare a GPU's performance with another GPU. Read this thread: *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/graphic-c...ormation-regarding-graphic-cards-newbies.html

The above thread also answers your PCIe compatibility question.... which again has been answered a million times in this forum and a billion times on the Internet.

I'm closing this thread. You're most welcome to start a new thread for your GPU dilemma. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom