A Gamer's Dilemma

Status
Not open for further replies.

deadlyvenom

Broken In
Hello Everybody!
I'm gonna upgrade my system soon and I've decided to go for ASUS EAX 1950 Pro 256 MB PciE GFX Card selling @ Rs.12500
Now the problem is that the mid range DX10 cards are gonna be around soon,and I can't really decide whether I should wait for the DX10 cards or go ahead and buy the 1950 Pro.
I've been waiting for STALKER and its finally out on the 23rd of March and I can't wait to play it :)
I can't buy a 8800 GTX or the GTS now coz they're insanely overpriced.
Also,will DX9 cards run DX10 games like Crysis?
Your suggestions will help me make a decesion
Regards

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
U can play all DX 10 games anounced by now on DX9 cards and developers of Crysis says ' the game looks somewhat equally good on DX 9 cards as early videos were streamed from systems running on fast DX 9 cards'. I think developers wun add support for DX9 cards at least till the end of 2008.

darklord

Cyborg Agent
Wait for sometime. 8600GTS is gonna be a killer card. Infact teh entire 8600 series is good. Remember, 8600 replaces the 7900 GS/GT so think how powerful its gonna be.Do NOT buy X1950 Pro NOW.

deathvirus_me

Wise Old Owl
The 8600 Ultra might replace the 7900GS's , but the 8600GT will actually be slightly slower than the 7900GS ... the 128 bit mem. bus will surely hurt ...

aquamatrix

Journeyman
i am also in the same dilemma, i have been waiting since gawd knows when to buy a GPU.

but....... the 8600 series is definitely worth a wait.

darklord

Cyborg Agent
deathvirus_me said:
The 8600 Ultra might replace the 7900GS's , but the 8600GT will actually be slightly slower than the 7900GS ... the 128 bit mem. bus will surely hurt ...
8600 Ultra doesnt exist anymore,8600GTS replaces it.Trust me,even with 128 bit controller,its rocking. ;)

deathvirus_me

Wise Old Owl
U tried it yet ??? well , the core will definitely matter , but when u've games that actually utilize the frame buffer , the mem. interface and the bandwidth will matter too .. 8600GTS or whatever ... even with a next gen engine , the 128 bit mem. will hurt a lot ... i don't mean bad performance , but not even upto the mark .. just like how a 320 MB 8800GTS doesn't outperform a 7900GTX in GRAW ...

darklord

Cyborg Agent
deathvirus_me said:
U tried it yet ??? well , the core will definitely matter , but when u've games that actually utilize the frame buffer , the mem. interface and the bandwidth will matter too .. 8600GTS or whatever ... even with a next gen engine , the 128 bit mem. will hurt a lot ... i don't mean bad performance , but not even upto the mark .. just like how a 320 MB 8800GTS doesn't outperform a 7900GTX in GRAW ...

320MB GTS also has 320Bit memory interface,same as the 640MB one. ;)

No i havent tried the cards but they sure are making some news.

deathvirus_me

Wise Old Owl
Take a look here :

*www.guru3d.com/article/Videocards/420/9/

*www.guru3d.com/article/Videocards/420/11/

Notice the limitation the 320 MB frame buffer puts on the 8800GTS ?? Even with the 320 bit mem. interface ...

Kniwor

Learner
deathvirus_me said:

A 320Mb 8800GTS Does outperform a 512Mb 7900GTX.

But I'd still say it's not worth the wait, c'on it like 3-4 months before they are out, and then the prices will fall after some time, so it's best u go for 1950Pro now, and get an 8800 about 10 months later when 8 series is cheap and mainstream, this will be a lot better than purchasing 8600 at a high price, + dont forget you can game these 3 months too...

And I believe 8600 will NOT be more powerful than a 1950Pro, I seriously doubt that.

darklord

Cyborg Agent
Kniwor said:
A 320Mb 8800GTS Does outperform a 512Mb 7900GTX.

But I'd still say it's not worth the wait, c'on it like 3-4 months before they are out, and then the prices will fall after some time, so it's best u go for 1950Pro now, and get an 8800 about 10 months later when 8 series is cheap and mainstream, this will be a lot better than purchasing 8600 at a high price, + dont forget you can game these 3 months too...

And I believe 8600 will NOT be more powerful than a 1950Pro, I seriously doubt that.

8600 launches this april end,availability shud be there within a week or two.I think its worth the wait.

@ Deathvirus, i was talking about the memory interface,not the memory buffer dude.Even a layman knows that faster and more the buffer,better it is. ;)

Kniwor

Learner
darklord said:
8600 launches this april end,availability shud be there within a week or two.I think its worth the wait.

@ Deathvirus, i was talking about the memory interface,not the memory buffer dude.Even a layman knows that faster and more the buffer,better it is. ;)

Will be announced April 17th in US of A, on sale in first week of May in USA, and add a few weeks to come in India, that's what I know.

baccilus

Cyborg Agent
When 8600 launches, 7950's price is bound to crash. So waiting will be the wiser thing to do. Then
1) you will probably have more money,
2) cards will be cheaper and
3) it will be easier to take a realistic decision

darklord

Cyborg Agent
Kniwor said:
Will be announced April 17th in US of A, on sale in first week of May in USA, and add a few weeks to come in India, that's what I know.
NV hardlaunches their cards.

OP
D

deadlyvenom

Broken In
Thank You for your replies :)
I'm now the proud owner of ASUS EAX 1950 Pro 256 MB and I've been playing games like FEAR,Half Life 2,Call of Duty 2,etc at 1280*1024 on Maximum Settings with 4X AA and 8X AF and manage to run these games above 50 fps :)
I just hope STALKER runs the same way..waiting for it now!
Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom