A future proof mobile

DizitalNovice

I don't want IT
I am looking for a mobile which wouldn't feel like outdated after an year or may be more perhaps. Something like what Nokia did with 5800 probably! Till now 5800 is a best seller for it, and has commanded regular updates from the Fins. I own it actually...

Now, I am looking for (perhaps) an Android device, which also has a good display, camera quality and doesn't require me to empty my bank account in order to buy it. Alas, till now I've been disappointed with even devices costing 20000+ providing a paltry 3-5 megapixels camera and crappy displays of 240X320 (Which by the way is equal to what nokia offers at even Rs. 3000).

I might not know better, but I believe Android is free, then why does even a crappy specs mobile device costs like a Nuke? I've been looking into it for a week now and I can remember specs of almost all devices priced between Rs. 10000 - 44000(uKnowWhich?!?), but the only device that I was actually satisfied somehow was the N8. Now, don't butcher me with the cons of N8, instead do provide me with logical alternatives. You can go on and on about Symbian being far behind than Android or iOS but as far as this pea brain can fathom, by far the most cost effective and feature rich phone starts with N and ends with 8 (that's N8, stupid).

Your thoughts please!!

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
your post looked as if you only want N8 and you expect people to say 'yes, you are right. go for n8'.

Am being frank here. go and get n8. it will save some posts and lot of time for many who try to explain why android device is better overall. :D

OP
DizitalNovice

DizitalNovice

I don't want IT
I am sure Android is much better than Symbian, no doubts about that. Nokia has a long way to go before it reaches Android standards, leave alone Apple's.
What I am talking here are the prices. I am not being paid by Nokia, as it is. I am just disappointed that I could not find an Android device which has the following features which Nokia provided me long back in 2008:

1. Large Screen
2. Huge no. of Apps
3. Affordable to some extent atleast

What nokia did not provide me was a good camera on my phone, and hence I was looking for the above 3 + a good camera. Surprisingly, all the devices which meet the above profile cost way above N8.

Do tell me what you feel, after my clarification!

PS: As I have mentioned earlier I am not just come here without knowing anything. I've been looking at details, specs, camera quality comparisons(visit gsmarena for this), dozens of reviews for EACH device, getting a feel of the phones, which I could lay my hands upon, for a week now! I am at a place where I don't need to wait for getting my hands on a device. Someone or the other has it with them within a couple of days of release of a gizmo. I do not want to start an illogical discussion here!

Last edited:

sujoyp

Grand Master
I think galaxy S is very future proof device...
-4inch 480x800 super amoled screen
-gorrila glass to keep ur screen safe
-512mb RAM
-bluetooth 3
-HSDPA, HSUPA
-720p recording
-Android 2.2
-1ghz proccesor
-divx, h.264 support lossless audio support(FLAC)
-tv out
-inbuilt office viewer

I dont think u would get all the features in any single phone:smile:

OP
DizitalNovice

DizitalNovice

I don't want IT
-4inch 480x800 super amoled screen - OK
-gorrila glass to keep ur screen safe - N8
-512mb RAM - OK
-bluetooth 3 - N8
-HSDPA, HSUPA - N8
-720p recording - N8's is much better
-Android 2.2 - OK
-1ghz proccesor - Ok
-divx, h.264 support lossless audio support(FLAC) - N8
-tv out - HDMI in N8
-inbuilt office viewer -not needed

I dont think u would get all the features in any single phone - you are right, it seems to me that way! [:(]

N8 vs Galaxy S

Less Price
sturdier
Ovi Maps
Camera (far better, than any other) irritating interface though!

Here I really sound like doing an advertisement of N8!!

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
I am sure Android is much better than Symbian, no doubts about that. Nokia has a long way to go before it reaches Android standards, leave alone Apple's.
What I am talking here are the prices. I am not being paid by Nokia, as it is. I am just disappointed that I could not find an Android device which has the following features which Nokia provided me long back in 2008:

1. Large Screen
2. Huge no. of Apps

What nokia did not provide me was a good camera on my phone, and hence I was looking for the above 3 + a good camera. Surprisingly, all the devices which meet the above profile cost way above N8.

Did you check Motorola Milestone?

The thing is, Android phones/users doesn't emphasize much on camera performance. These are smarphones for God's sake. The areas where excel are features that are used most. For shutterbugs, there are PnS slim shooters.

LG Optimus One and Canon IXUS 130 makes for even better combination. on one hand you have a superb android device with dedicated graphics accelerator and it costs just 12k approx. and for shooting, you have canon ixus 130 for great photography. you can even check Sony T99 if you want pocketable PnS.

PS: If you really want a smartphone, look at the features that matter most and used most.

-4inch 480x800 super amoled screen - OK
-gorrila glass to keep ur screen safe - N8
-512mb RAM - OK
-bluetooth 3 - N8
-HSDPA, HSUPA - N8
-720p recording - N8's is much better
-Android 2.2 - OK
-1ghz proccesor - Ok
-divx, h.264 support lossless audio support(FLAC) - N8
-tv out - HDMI in N8
-inbuilt office viewer -not needed

I dont think u would get all the features in any single phone - you are right, it seems to me that way! [:(]

N8 vs Galaxy S

Less Price
sturdier
Ovi Maps
Camera (far better, than any other) irritating interface though!

Here I really sound like doing an advertisement of N8!!

yes. you are. this is the reason why I told you just go and get N8. let me correct few things in your comparison post first.

SGS comes with Gorilla glass. how is nokia's bluetooth better than SGSs when both are v3? HSUPA of SGS is better than that of N8 while HSDPA of N8 is faster but then it would be years to attain 10Mbps HSDPA. SGS plays FLAC without any issues (with latest ROMs)

coming to your sturdier comment. Do you know that there were reports of lot of scratches and cracks if N8 falls on edge because the top and bottom are plastic while there are no such issues with SGS.
price: SGS is just 1k-1.5k pricier so this is no way a factor in deciding purchase.

Ovi maps is great. no doubt about it and this along with camera are the only areas where N8 truly excel.

Then comes the actual thing. The UI. Any one who got used to Android understands the pain of using Symbian (be it S60 or S^3). It literally sucks.

Last edited:
OP
DizitalNovice

DizitalNovice

I don't want IT
Hey hey.. I nvr said N8 is btr, I meant N8 also has it. I completely agree with you on the smart phone thing though. If you take that into perspective - a smartphone is actually not required to have a gr8 camera. I was just looking for an android device with a gr8 camera. I agree my requirements are not exactly easy on the pocket thing, so u r rite.
Only thing i disagree this time is your comment on price:
N8 costs 23999 where as SGS costs 27899 according to MySmartPrice: Easiest Way To Get The Best Price
That's a huge Rs. 4000 difference

sujoyp

Grand Master
what I said was based on the fact that
1. now most of the hi end mobile r comming with a screen size of 4 inch or higher soo having a 4 inch screen with 480x800 resolution is future proof
2.everybody knows Super AMOLED is the best among all screens
3. Gorrila glass would be great to keep screen safe
4. Bluetooth 3 is the next gen technology
5. HSDPA more is better BSNL have upto 7.2mbps and DOCOMO is prepairing a 21mbps
6. HD video recording is useful but remember a 10 min 1080p video can fill a 4gb card..I really think 720p is enough
7. More processor for better gaming and 3d...here I need at least 1ghz, 512MB Ram and an graphic accelerator
8.Android is really much user friendly then symbian
9. A descent camera

If u compare N8 with Samsung Galaxy S....its N8's great cam vs SGS great screen and user friendlyness:wink:

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod

all got their own strengths & weaknesses. Symbian looks & works great on non-touchscreen phones, without any theme or revamped UI (Samsung TouchWiz). on the other hand for touchscreen (without keyboard) iOS is best. for the rest, its Android.

Did you check Motorola Milestone?

why Milestone?

The thing is, Android phones/users doesn't emphasize much on camera performance. These are smarphones for God's sake. The areas where excel are features that are used most. For shutterbugs, there are PnS slim shooters.

there a few (or maybe many) who wants a Android mobile with a good camera but its true that an Android handset with a good camera will cost a lot. part of it goes to the H/W, fast processor (WHICH NOKIA HAS 1Ghz PROCCY?) & 512MB+ ram.

coming to your sturdier comment. Do you know that there were reports of lot of scratches and cracks if N8 falls on edge because the top and bottom are plastic while there are no such issues with SGS.

the top & bottom part are separate piece of plastic ends that fits into the enclosure. it looks better but at the expense of build quality. i think N8 first handset from nokia with a not-so-good build quality.

4. Bluetooth 3 is the next gen technology

but will there be any advantage if you transfer data from BT 3.0 to a BT 2.0 device or transfer? also i don't think the BT 3.0 dongles, if any will come cheap. so on paper this looks like a fantastic implement but in real life i don't see any real use :???:

5. HSDPA more is better BSNL have upto 7.2mbps and DOCOMO is prepairing a 21mbps

won't be surprised if the latter's data plan (unlimited data plan) cost more than SGS :)

6. HD video recording is useful but remember a 10 min 1080p video can fill a 4gb card..I really think 720p is enough

these kind of video recording/playback will drain battery empty even before you able check what you just recorded.

8.Android is really much user friendly then symbian

absolutely true.

9. A descent camera

5Mp AF camera with dual LED flash, video recording is descent for most (who own a digi cam)

If u compare N8 with Samsung Galaxy S....its N8's great cam vs SGS great screen and user friendlyness:wink:

i think Nokia has another hidden plus point. battery life.

ithehappy

Human Spambot
Well Nokia? I have had more than 50 smart phones, (high end or ultra high end, whatever you call it), but not a single Nokia. So, it is clear Nokia is a BIG 'NO' for me.
Back to topic, N8? Have you asked yourself why you wanna buy a N8? Lame same Symian OS, laggy, except it's Camera it's a pointless device imo.
Future proof? Tough words. Well there is no doubt that you gotta go for either Android or iOS and WP7 of course. Htc D-HD would be a good device, you could also consider Motorola Milestone 2. for iOS you know what to buy.
I am buying the Dell Venue Pro as soon as it's releases. I need a QWERTY as well as Touch screen (for fun only) and I really don't care if my device has a camera or not.

Thanks and Regards.

vishurocks

Journeyman
If asking for a futureproof device sgs and desire makes more sense than a n8. There's motorola milestone xt720 with 8mp camera and xenon flash. It's pretty good camera. Cost about 25k. For futureproof device, wait for lg optimus 7, as it is going to launch soon. Great wp7 device with lots of preinstalled goodies from lg

mail2abhi81

Broken In
going sheerly by thread heading, Moto Defy is the one you need (considering fone life, not essentially technology). Its future proof.

But, froyo update would not happen before, q2, 2011

Abhishek M

sujoyp

Grand Master
going sheerly by thread heading, Moto Defy is the one you need (considering fone life, not essentially technology). Its future proof.

Abhishek M

foryo update in q2 2011:shock:...or gingerbread update??

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
foryo update in q2 2011:shock:...or gingerbread update??

froyo. Motorola already announced the TX* & the XT* (the one with 8Mp cam) won't get any more update. Milestone will get Froyo in Q1 2011 & Defy in Q2 2011 :lol: what a joke, right? thankfully i own a Motorola but it doesn't run android :-D

froyo buddy, Defy is shipped with eclair as of now. Motorola, sucks, when it comes to updating.

absolutely true. SE tops the chart, followed by Motorola.

recently, they have announced that Milestone would not get froyo update afterall.

please go through this news sample:

Motorola did it again: the Froyo update for MILESTONE delayed

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!

Abhishek M

froyo buddy, Defy is shipped with eclair as of now. Motorola, sucks, when it comes to updating.

recently, they have announced that Milestone would not get froyo update afterall.

Defy? I think it's better to get HTC Desire or SGS than Defy and if I am right, it's not released yet in India. Motorola has been pathetic in releasing updates in India region and who will need a motoblur UI? :D

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
I am at a place where I don't need to wait for getting my hands on a device.
Hell.....

Why u r comparing a 12MP with 5MP......
Nokia N8 is really a nice device...is suitable for traveling photographers...

If u r looking for an Android Device with which also has a good display, camera quality then y to talk abt N8 here....go for Motorola Milestone but again u will say it has some cons.....then each & every phone has some pros & cons....a little
sacrifice is needed to get something......
Dont buy HTC Desire bcoz of bad bad battery life u will endup wallmounting the charger every then & now or USB charge....

Nokia N8 current price is 22.5k in mumbai....
dont knw when galaxy s will come down in price....

in UI department Nokia has to fully revamp its OS.....

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Let me get this straight and simple.

For camera, get the Nokia N8.

For everything else and much more, get a high-end Android phone.

Secondly, as you have already made your decision, then why the need of this thread?? :confused: Go and get the Nokia N8. ;) And there isn't any Android fone costing above 15k with a QVGA (240*320) resolution afaik.

I am just disappointed that I could not find an Android device which has the following features which Nokia provided me long back in 2008:

1. Large Screen
2. Huge no. of Apps
I'm still using Nokia 5800 and I completely disagree with the bold part.

Last edited:
OP
DizitalNovice

DizitalNovice

I don't want IT
I'm still using Nokia 5800 and I completely disagree with the bold part.

Perhaps you need to browse the Internet a little more!

Or I'll make it even easier for you - Name your requirements and I'll name the App for you.

PS: Don't come up with requirements that require Nokia 5800 to cook and clean up! It doesn't PERIOD

Also, look for a phone called HTC Wildfire for a phone which costs 15k and has a 240X320 res screen. Yeah I know Wildfire prices have been reduced by a HUGE 1000Rs. today!

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
Perhaps you need to browse the Internet a little more!

Or I'll make it even easier for you - Name your requirements and I'll name the App for you.

PS: Don't come up with requirements that require Nokia 5800 to cook and clean up! It doesn't PERIOD

Also, look for a phone called HTC Wildfire for a phone which costs 15k and has a 240X320 res screen. Yeah I know Wildfire prices have been reduced by a HUGE 1000Rs. today!

please stop saying about the price segment and check this:

Nokia C6 vs. LG Optimus One P500 - GSMArena.com

or this:

Nokia 5230 vs. Samsung I5500 Galaxy 5 - GSMArena.com

or this:

Nokia C7 vs. Motorola MILESTONE - GSMArena.com

PS: i am really tempted to lock this thread as it just seems like "i am buying an N8, suggest me a mobile which I won't buy anyway unless its n8". :D

Top Bottom